Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should someone with checkered work history even bother to apply?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright so far in this thread posters have assumed:
    -felonies
    -charged misdemeanors
    -drug use
    -collecting unemployment

There is NONE of this. The only mark on my record is periods of unemployment (all less than a year) after quitting jobs which only lasted several months (also all less than a year). Should I even bother to apply?
    Last edited by Tommy_V; 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Yes you should definately apply. What youre worried about is a nonfactor

Comment

Bottom line up front, apply and see what happens. Now what we lack here is context, I if i were looking at your application i might think you have trouble holding down a job which would lead to you leave my agency after a short period of time.... but when you explain that X situation in your life led to the checkered history it might make all the difference... you don't have to tell it to the forum but be prepared to explain your situation. Another thing you might look into is attending a basic law enforcement academy, on your own dime, if your state offers one. In my current state and many others, applicants can sign up through their local community college and walk away with their POST certification, which is good for one year. This will show any agencies you apply for that you are serious about this career. Good luck

Comment

I think the big thing to take in is where you are applying. Are you applying to a very small town that hires one person a year, where the Chief himself is reviewing each application, and they take 20 for that one spot? Or are you applying to a massive hire agency like Border Patrol or Secret Service Uniform Division where so long as you meet the requirements and pass the steps, you will guaranteed be hired.

End of the day, like someone said, apply. Worst they can say is no. Like I recommended in my PM, Florida Highway Patrol for example needs bodies very badly. They may look past it. USSS Uniform Division or Border Patrol won't care. Shotgun your apps to 0083 USAJOBS vacancies.
          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post
            Alright so far in this thread posters have assumed:
            -felonies
            -charged misdemeanors
            -drug use
            -collecting unemployment

There is NONE of this. The only mark on my record is periods of unemployment (all less than a year) after quitting jobs which only lasted several months (also all less than a year). Should I even bother to apply?
            Dude.

Just apply.

We aren’t psychics on here, we can’t tell you if you will get hired or not.

Apply, be honest, and see what happens.

Consider your question answered.

Comment

------deleted----
              Last edited by Tommy_V; 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10058 users online. 442 members and 9616 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X