Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should someone with checkered work history even bother to apply?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should someone with checkered work history even bother to apply?

Should someone with checkered work history even bother to apply?
    Assume there is nothing else on the applicants record, no prior convictions, drug use etc.

Define checkered

Comment

What I I’ve seen is that if there is a significant amount of time since a last arrrest then it’s not that bad. Considering it’s nothing like a felony arrest.

Comment

Depends on what “checkered” means to you. If it means you’ve had many different jobs in your work history then it’s probably not a big deal. If it means you have a bunch of charged misdemeanors with no convictions in the last 5 years, then you may want to consider something outside of law enforcement. However, you don’t win unless you play so go for it. Worst case scenario is they say no. Or, they uncover another checker to go with your past. I say that jokingly of course.
        Last edited by WillB1smday; 10-25-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post
          Define checkered
          Having a job for several months then an unemployment gap spanning several months. Repeat that pattern for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by WillB1smday View Post
            Depends on what “checkered” means to you. If it means you’ve many had different jobs in your work history then it’s probably not a big deal. If it means you have a bunch of charged misdemeanors with no convictions in the last 5 years, then you may want to consider something outside of law enforcement. However, you don’t win unless you play so go for it. Worst case scenario is they say no. Or, they uncover another checker to go with your past. I say that jokingly of course.
            Dont know why you and that other guy are talking about felonies and charged misdemeanors...I’m simply asking about a non-continuous work history with gaps over several years...
            Last edited by Tommy_V; 10-25-2018, 06:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post

Dont know why you and that other guy are talking about felonies and charged misdemeanors...I’m simply asking about a non-continuous work history with gaps over several years...
              I mean youre the one a super vague initial post, not mentioning where, what agency, or even what level (local, state, fed), what the actual checkered history is, and making us ask questions when you're the one asking for help. Like the people who walk up to a group of friends and say 'man I got a crazy call earlier today' and then saying nothing else, forcing your friends to ask who what when where. I do have some insight for you though.
              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

The initial question is 50 shades of vague. Are you talking local, state, or federal? If we're talking Federal its pretty easy to mitigate unemployments provided you're truthful.

Comment

------deleted----
                  Last edited by Tommy_V; 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• battlewagon
                    battlewagon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think Border Patrol, the gateway to a great federal careers, would gladly take you. I'd highly recommend looking into it. I think local small agencies which really dig into their applicants' application packets will see it negatively. Where as an agency doing mass hiring like BP will look at it as a meets/doesn't meet qualifications

------deleted----
                  Last edited by Tommy_V; 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Anyone else got insight?

Comment

Yeah bro, just apply. If you don’t get the job, you’re at the same spot as if you didn’t even apply. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post
                        Anyone else got insight?
                        Just apply, the worst thing they can tell you is no. Im telling you as a background investigator, unemployment should be the least of your worries if applying for federal jobs. With the way the economy has been in recent years it is not uncommon for individuals to have unemployment or debt.

From my experience it doesn't hurt to apply. I was able to get to the Postal Inspection Assessment Center while having: only a degree, unemployment, and mostly part time work in my background. Recently applied to the recent DSS announcement, probably won't get the job, but you never know what will happen. The point is don't overthink the process.

Comment

It may not be a showstopper, depending on what the past issues are, but it could still be scrutinized. If you tell one background investigator you smoked pot 3 times 10 years ago and then tell another for a different agency you smoked pot 3 to 4 times ten years ago you'll almost always get questioned over the discrepancy of how many times it was you actually smoked pot. No matter how ridiculous the discrepancy is and the probability that your background investigator smoked more pot than you did in their college or high school days.

Comment

The biggest thing they will hammer you on is the unemployment and if you made active attempts to secure employment or did you ride out the government teat as long as possible.

Be honest about your employment history and don’t make excuses for it. Just the facts. Let the BI decide whether it’s ground for DQ or not.

The NYPD is very strict in employment history, but other agencies may not be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8794 users online. 431 members and 8363 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X