Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can I sit on a LEO job offer?

Hey, guys. I'm in the process with a handful of agencies; federal and non. I received a call from my least favorable agency (still a great job, though!) informing me that I had completed all steps of the process and will be extended a job offer when I come down for my psych eval in two weeks. I'm just wondering if it is appropriate to sit on this offer for a bit while my process is finishing up with some of my more favorable agencies. Or will I be urged to make a decision on the spot? Obviously, I would like to keep this offer "on ice" in case the other stuff falls through. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? For what it's worth, this is my first go-around in the law enforcement world. I am currently on my way out of the military and still learning etiquette.

The offer will probably have a sunset date on it - 72 hours or so many days. If offered, ask how long you have to make a decision to avoid responding too late and learning the job offer is no longer valid.

If you do accept and others come in later, there's nothing saying you cannot accept those. There have been many people who change jobs soon after applying, especially when it comes to fed LEO jobs when you apply to so many hoping that at least one bites. It happens all the time. Just don't burn any bridges and be honest.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
      RaspiestShrimp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the info! I have heard of people getting as far as ARRIVING at an academy and still switching to another agency, but was not sure if that was something acceptable or not. I have done my best to convey my intentions to all the agencies I have applied to. Looks like I'll be accepting this job offer and hoping some of the other ones pan out afterward.

Just remember, jumping ship is burning bridges. Some day, it will come back on you...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

These situations can be a bit tricky but my experience has been:

1. People leave frequently, even when they are in academies, when a better job presents itself.

2. Burning bridges is real but people often return when or if things don't work out (be aware the cookie doesn't crumble the same for everyone, though, and there are many factors involved).

3. Personal relationships are important. What may shift the scale 50.0001 to 49.9999 in your favor is having that one person in your corner. Or vice versa.

4. In general, good people land on their feet.
    Days become weeks become months become years.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
      RaspiestShrimp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the information! I don't really expect to make any friends from doing a last minute switch, should it come to that. But I'm glad to see others pointing in the direction of "do what's right for you".

Do what’s right. Don’t expect forgiveness or assume it won’t harm you later. Your reputation is key. Get a jacket as a jumper, you won’t get picked up or picked for specialty gigs.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Make sure your hiring isn’t based on an expectation that you are to work for them for a period of time. Some agencies will make you pay back the training costs if you leave early.

Comment

Don't expect anyone to let you "sit on" their offer. We will give you 48 hours to either accept or decline the offer.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
          RaspiestShrimp commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the information. Maybe I could have worded it a little better. The situation is that I will receive a written job offer on 01NOV from one agency, but I am really waiting on a job offer from a different agency; with whom I am finishing up my background investigation.

Assuming the other agency offers you a job, they may not do so for another month or two, so you still need to accept or decline the offer you receive.

Comment

1. Don't say stupid things to the first agency, like "Can I get back to you in three weeks? There's another job I'm in the running for, and I'd like to hear from them before I commit." That's how people end up with no job, because like the idiom goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

2. No one's feelings will be hurt if you accept the first job, then decline the position three weeks later if the preferred job is obtained. The people at the first job will simply move on to the next social security number on the spreadsheet.

3. Follow your gut and you'll not regret a thing.
          Days become weeks become months become years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9560 users online. 441 members and 9119 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X