Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the university you go to matter for qualifying for a GS level?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the university you go to matter for qualifying for a GS level?

I plan on going to a community college just to get my bachelor's in criminal justice. Is the GS scale competitive in terms of which college/university you went to?

No. Just make sure it’s accredited.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Not really. As long the paper is from an actual college and not some back of a magazine school, it's your competence and ability that determines how competitive you are.

And I know more than a few GS13s who graduated from the University of Hard Knocks (but they had very unique skill sets and/or stellar reputations going for them....)
      If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.

-Bob Marley

Comment

A resounding NO! You need an education, not a pedigree.

Comment

I'd skip the CJ degree and study something more universally practical and fungible.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
            RaspiestShrimp commented
            Editing a comment
            +1. You can say that again. I know two people with CJ degrees who were unable to pass any of the polygraphs they could land. That's pretty hilarious, huh?

• mxxdude
            mxxdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Good advice but obviously not for everyone. Some people (like myself) are not really interested in higher education and just wanted to check the box for that requirement when applying to certain jobs(specifically 1811).As someone working full time, It would have been miserable for me trying to juggle a STEM degree or something more "practical" ,especially trying to achieve over a 3.0. With that said the main agency I was shooting for preferred something law enforcement related (USMS).

• RaspiestShrimp
            RaspiestShrimp commented
            Editing a comment
            mxxdude I mean, I don't disagree with you....at the end of the day, you have to blaze that trail on your own. For me, though, snatching up a CJ degree and waiting ten years for a USMS announcement on USAJobs doesn't really set you apart from 98% of everyone else in the LE community carrying out an identical plan.

Get a 4 year in something. Anything except CJ.
          It will diversify you.

Comment

One of my CITP classmates at FLETC was a graduate of the University of Phoenix, if that tells you something.
            sigpic

Comment

UoP is supposedly a good school, like Strayer
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I took an online class at University of Phoenix on negotiating....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8932 users online. 294 members and 8638 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X