Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigation Question

Hello --
    I am planning on applying to a police officer position with the Seattle Police Department this next year.
    Long story short, I had applied for an evidence position with the department in my current city last year. I had to take a full background just like sworn officers.
    I wasn't really able to remember, nor did I have any documentation of times when I was employed at a certain place. And I also used marijuana once on a vacation - and did not have the exact date for that either, as I had visited that city several times in a short period. I admitted fully to the background investigator that I didn't have solid dates and that I was going off my memory the best that I possibly could.

I passed that investigation. He said that as long as I was being honest that I didn't remember when exactly, he didn't see it as a big deal. We are talking about date discrepancies within a month of two. I almost got hired - in fact I was #2. It had nothing to do with the background investigation, and more so that the other candidate had better experience.

Fast forward to now - I recently found a plastic bin that has previous pay stubs and employment records in it. I thought that I had lost this before. Now I have solid dates on when I was employed at various employers.
    I am sure that Seattle PD will contact the police dept I applied with here to see what I said in that investigation. If I simply make a note on my application that I didn't know solid dates, will this be suffice for the background investigator? I did not purposely fudge dates - -I have nothing to hide. I simply forgot.

Originally posted by MTtoPNW View Post
    Hello --
    I am planning on applying to a police officer position with the Seattle Police Department this next year.
    Long story short, I had applied for an evidence position with the department in my current city last year. I had to take a full background just like sworn officers.
    I wasn't really able to remember, nor did I have any documentation of times when I was employed at a certain place. And I also used marijuana once on a vacation - and did not have the exact date for that either, as I had visited that city several times in a short period. I admitted fully to the background investigator that I didn't have solid dates and that I was going off my memory the best that I possibly could.

I passed that investigation. He said that as long as I was being honest that I didn't remember when exactly, he didn't see it as a big deal. We are talking about date discrepancies within a month of two. I almost got hired - in fact I was #2. It had nothing to do with the background investigation, and more so that the other candidate had better experience.

Fast forward to now - I recently found a plastic bin that has previous pay stubs and employment records in it. I thought that I had lost this before. Now I have solid dates on when I was employed at various employers.
    I am sure that Seattle PD will contact the police dept I applied with here to see what I said in that investigation. If I simply make a note on my application that I didn't know solid dates, will this be suffice for the background investigator? I did not purposely fudge dates - -I have nothing to hide. I simply forgot.
    Sounds like bull**** to me

Comment

To clarify: it was not EVERY job. It was two jobs that I as working at part-time on top of my full time. And I was only working there for a few months.
      One job I started in April 2015, but accidentally documented May 2015. And the other job I started in July 2015 and documented June 2015. It wasn't huge gaps in time.

In regard to the marijuana use. I am full and open about that use. I went to Seattle 3 times in December of 2014. Used once during that period -- just not sure which trip it was.
      Last edited by MTtoPNW; 10-06-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

If they ask why there was a change in dates, just tell them you were estimating when you filled out the background packet the first time and now you found paperwork documenting exact dates. Generally when it comes to drug use the best you can do is estimate dates and the number of times. When it comes to drug and alcohol use a person typically won't remember exact details. If someone on this forum tells you they remember every detail while under the influence of marijuana or alcohol they are FOS. I don't do backgrounds for local departments but I do something similar. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8184 users online. 347 members and 7837 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X