300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post
    A week at FLETC on your own dime as part of the application process, not even a tentative offer, you can't be serious. Is that really a thing?
    In the past any travel once a conditional offer has been accepted has been paid for by the agency. I'd say it's likely to stay that way. Typically that testing week includes normal travel, per diem, etc.

Comment

I have many years on and in a current fed job as an 1811. If an opportunity was offered to go to Fletc GA or AZ or anywhere for a week of testing/training. I would leap at the opportunity. Many posts about if they can do this or can do that, have you use your own funds for training. It’s the GOV in the end this agency, that agency do what suits them and that’s that.

If presented with an opportunity, any opportunity to further your career or career options, learn more about an agency, go for it.

Comment

• 1811HopefulDC
        1811HopefulDC commented
        Editing a comment
        totally agreed, I would jump at the opportunity what is a few dollars, if the possibility to get an 1811 gig is offered.

Interesting. So do dream jobs exist or not?
      Last edited by ACO88; 03-04-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• The Grizz
        The Grizz commented
        Editing a comment
        Do they exist? I would say yes, but not forever. Few take into account inevitable changes in staffing, which includes supervisors, and how much of an impact they have on your "dream" job. Nothing like getting a job you've always wanted, then two years later a ***** boss shows up and makes your life hell. I only say this because I've never seen so many horrible supervisors in my life until I joined the G, few will make it through a career without having at least one.

• Radio Raheem
        Radio Raheem commented
        Editing a comment
        The only dream job is the one where you work for yourself. The Grizz is right about the possibility of getting a bad supervisor. The good news is that administrations change frequently in the government and you won't have that trouble supervisor or senior leadership for long. In my experience with Border Patrol (at a non-check point station), the supervisors didn't have the time nor the inclination to zero in on one agent or even 15 agents at a 500+ agent station. They pretty much let you work, which made for a decent working environment.

A spot recently opened in Billings MT for anyone who wants to live in big sky country--

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/fe...tation-charges
      The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        A spot recently opened in Billings MT for anyone who wants to live in big sky country--

Ouch.

Comment

Looks like a pederast

Comment

Whoever goes there will probably have a tough row to hoe with the community. It’ll take awhile to get that trust back.

Comment

If ever...

-Thomas Edison

Comment

If ever...
                Hopefully his replacement and the others in that shop can do it.

Comment

It won't be easy. Two absolutely true things about isolated western U.S. communities:

1. They largely disdain land management agencies because independent people don't like outsiders making rules about local natural resources.
                  2. People never forget anything in small towns.

I get that every agency has bad apples but this situation stands as another example about how truly dysfunctional FWS OLE is about who they give a badge to. They get it wrong SO often it's more than accidental. Mr. accused pedophile here joins a LONG list of grossly unfit people who get on (and then often get promoted). Full blown alcoholics, open misogynists, and personality disorder types to the clinical level are just a start. Heck, one agent knowingly provided material support to terrorists who bombed the World Trade Center in 1993 (seriously). This outfit simply can't get squared away despite repeated bad hires over the years.

And when the bad apples do get recognized for what they are, the agency doesn't know what to do with them. So often they get promoted. Then the fun begins for subordinate agents because the institution is totally indifferent about their situation. There is no union, no ombudsman, HR is a tragic comedy, and the power structure only cares about protecting the power structure. One can scream all they want but they are screaming into an abyss.

I recall reading an article about the Tacoma PD chief who killed his wife in front of their kids and then killed himself (this happened several years ago). During the subsequent investigation, it came out that the city manager (the one person who could remove the chief from power) knew the chief was a complete mental case but when asked why he didn't take action before the tragedy, he said something along the lines of 'He was so out of control, I didn't know what to do'. OLE handles their problems much the same way: with lots of hand wringing and head scratching.
                  Last edited by Ratatatat; 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

I interviewed beginning of this month in ATL. Think it went well. Said theyll be making COE by end of May.

I read that court case, what's shocking to me is someone took teh time to research every shady thing that happened at USFWS and BLM OLE over the course of like 20 years.

If you look under the rug of any agency for 20 years, you're going to find their dirt. Very little of what was written would disuade me from coming over from my current outfit. Seems they take care of their agents. Sometimes too much as it seems. Up to individuals to maintain their own integrity.

Comment

• Radio Raheem
                      Radio Raheem commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congrats on getting the interview. By the way...GO TIGERS!!!!

• sabanist
                      sabanist commented
                      Editing a comment
                      HA, thanks. I actually picked lacombe as my first choice. Not in love with south louisiana, but its best for the family situation for the next year or so.

Seems they take care of their agents

Says no one who's been there any real period of time...

-Thomas Edison

Comment

You’re right about one thing- they do care of some to fault... chronic alcoholics... open misogynists... personality disorder whack jobs... Asperger types... fawning syncophants....

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Oh i hear ya. I guess my point was that exhibit outlines a tin of agents getting into trouble and not so many let go or suspended. Lot of agents getting sweetheart deals in assignments.

Ive been an 1811 for 10 years and two different agencies. And both have their **** shows. Hell i dont even have a take home g ride. Its pooled at the office.

Comment

Very little of what was written would disuade me from coming over from my current outfit

Well, when you compare the job to standing post thirty percent of a career and not seeing your kids one out of every four years, I can see the pull. A lot of your cohorts applied as well.

Here's where I think you are projecting though- by assuming the rank and file are somehow treated better. If management treats you like crap at your current job, don't assume it's any better with the fart-in-a-mitten managers in this outfit. Keep in mind the internal fights are always more viscous when the stakes are low. Which they are.

You will take a financial hit. GS13 to 9, then 11, then 12 (only the golden children get 13s). That's real money over the years.

And no more OT. It's practically non-existent. Let that sit in for a second.

BUT- your current gig isn't exactly a joy factory, I get that, so I can't blame you for wanting to jump ship. Just know there are no unicorns and rainbows in the place you wish to go to...

-Thomas Edison

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9190 users online. 433 members and 8757 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X