Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got an email from USFW thanking me for my interest and giving me the rundown of the hiring process.

- December 2018 - Subject Matter Panel review/rate application
    - January 2019: Referral list issued to hiring officials; email notifications sent to applicants
    - February/June 2019: Interview process
    - June/July 2019: Selections
    - September 2019: Entry on Duty (EOD
    OUT!!

Comment

• Lay_Tactical
      Lay_Tactical commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, does that mean we got in within the first 1000? Oh, how nice it would be if all agency's did a timeline like this because it would eliminated the guessing game.

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, right? The truth is I don't remember applying. lol

• Lay_Tactical
      Lay_Tactical commented
      Editing a comment
      I have forgot about applying and I applied to both Public and Competitive status. Let the best man win the golden ticket!!!!

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to look back at my USAjob profile, but I applied to both announcements as well lol!

Got the same email as well but no clue whether we are referred to be interviewed or not

Comment

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      According to the schedule, the referral process starts January of 2019.

Well lets just see, Did anyone apply for this announcement and not receive the email with the timeline???

Comment

• Gollywompas
      Gollywompas commented
      Editing a comment
      my guess is no...

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn! I thought I was special! Now I have to compete with all of you guys??!!! lol

Really don't get y'alls big yank to join Lord of the Flies.

Can't wait to see your posts when the low dirty truth reveals itself about this national embarrassment...
    Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Today's Secret Tip for Success: Release Your Inner Drama Queen (that term is used in a gender non-specific way, btw).

One of the quickest, and most effective ways to mask incompetencies is be a tornado of drama. As some of you will find out, this outfit loves big drama like Toby Keith's horses love beer.

When you meet with the leadership of your state wildlife resource agency for the first time, point your finger at them with a scowl on your face and tell them you are hereto invoking the Supremacy Clause and from this point forward, all (elver, manatee, paddlefish, abalone, wolves, whatever) cases must first go to you. Now of course there is no such thing as a 'supremacy clause' and you will either befuddle or infuriate them with this ridiculous demand. There will be blowback to upper management, but instead of considering you an incompetent boob who needlessly is starting a rift with long term partners, you will be deemed a hard charger who is passionate about your equities.

So be that guy, the one who makes mountains out of molehills. If there is no chaos, invent it. Put pis*ant refuge officers in their place. Tell off an AUSA who doesn't think your turtle smuggler merits the same prosecutorial resources as a fentanyl smuggler. Let no slight with co-workers go unaddressed- on your terms. This approach is not recommended at most agencies but keep in mind Sayre's Law is in full effect here ("The reason the fights are so vicious is because the stakes are so low.")

You'll see this dynamic reflected in who gets coddled and protected by upper management, btw. Full blown alcoholics. Serial womanizers. Sociopath first line managers. Their endless dramas are tolerated and as long as they dutifully recite the company mantra, they get to stay (at least until MRA). So Go Big, or Go Home.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

• Radio Raheem
        Radio Raheem commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, Ok! Good thing I was in Border Patrol otherwise what you said would have been a culture shock. I'll just replace all of the animal names with "illegal immigrants" and "smugglers" and it'll feel like home.

Thanks!!! I was starting to think I was out of my league lol!

So...can you provide any real advice for this position?

Comment

• Esco
        Esco commented
        Editing a comment
        I work at a small agency and his assessments are spot on. No lies detected.

Originally posted by raptor170 View Post
      So...can you provide any real advice for this position?
      Sure.

1. Upon employment, hire an attorney. Let it be known frequently that you have an employment attorney on retainer. For example, when your annual performance appraisal is presented to you, say something like "Thank you for this, but before I sign it, I would like to have my attorney review it." They will say no, but you've let it be known that you have legal advocacy, and they will likely move onto someone who doesn't.

2. Keep book on your classmates, on your co-workers, on your supervisors. Document the stupid little things they say or do, like off-color jokes, not showing up, taking two hour lunches, or more serious things that fall in the category of overt unprofessionalism, like midday drinking or blatant misuse of govt. property. Be aware the same is being done to you, and act accordingly. Now this may seem paranoid, but trust me- you'll want a folder of dirt on your peers and bosses when it's your turn in the breech and you unexpectedly get hit with random accusations from six weeks ago, six months ago, six years ago....

It's management by subjugation. Management and sycophants are mostly exempt, so are members of the KMA club and a few golden children. But everyone else? It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'. You'll be hanging in the wind and one of the few things that will save you will be a thick dossier of their misdeeds.

3. Learn the ins and outs of the EEO process (https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/harassment.cfm)
      and how to file harassment and hostile workplace complaints. Now frankly it's a GD shame that you will need to know this EEO stuff more than you will need to know the Migratory Bird Treaty Act in order to have longevity, but it is what it is.

Be an EEO monster. Keep in mind the best defense is a good offense. So when you detect things are starting to go sideways with a bad boss, be the one who files first. It's much like the divorce process in this regard, where there are strategic benefits to who files on who.

Another thing about the EEO process: it's very much like running a gauntlet... a long, tedious, miserable, unfriendly exercise where you are truly on your own. HR is mostly a joke and don't expect much support from your peers, as they don't ever want to be "that guy", which is you. You may get daily intimidation from your whackjob boss, or even from very high levels of management. One of the current SACs told an employee who was considering filing a complaint on their grossly unfit manager to not do so, as the SAC didn't want to see it impact their career (like he could give a damn). It most certainly did, because they later quit out of sheer frustration.

But here's the deal: if you do survive the gauntlet, often magical things happen, like a plum duty location, or a management slot. There's kind of a bizarre system in place that rewards the persistent and those who can game the system to their advantage.

It's a damn shame that things are the way they are. One would like to believe the 'lore' about this outfit- all those stories about busting interstate poaching rings, about getting paid to watch the sunrise over the mountains while on a stakeout, about the camaraderie one would assume exists among people who dedicate themselves to such a noble cause. But that's not reality. Reality is a largely dysfunctional toxic mess which prioritizes maintaining the power structure... above all else.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

• Radio Raheem
        Radio Raheem commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! No joke, but this is getting better and better! So your boss will intimate you with a whack job? That's great!!!!

Thats spot on about my job Ratatatat thats how management roll these days. I dont understand it you have grown men and women acting like this in an work place.

Comment

Originally posted by DCFED View Post
        I dont understand it you have grown men and women acting like this in an work place.

It's totally bizarre. How some of these people can look themselves in the mirror every morning is God's own private mystery.

The greeks had a word for it: kakistocracy ("rule by the unprincipled").

AND: top management does not want to hear about it. They only want accolades about their leadership. Critical thought is unacceptable.

I was watching a show about North Korea last night, where the regime uses a network of 'minders' to identify anyone who expresses an unfavorable opinion or critical viewpoint about how things are going. The information is then forwarded up the chain, and all of a sudden bad things start to happen to the critic. Meanwhile, the reporting party gets an extra bowl of rice. It was just like how OLE operates! (minus the extra bowl of rice).

-Paul Harvey

Comment

• pn3karr
          pn3karr commented
          Editing a comment
          I nominate you King of Officer.com. A great many agents from myriad agencies could stand to benefit from your knowledge. I've seen many fall. It certainly is a shame. I've come to the conclusion that this type of work attracts a few people with the traits that you have described. If you think about it though, it makes perfect sense. 1811 jobs are based on deception, the ability to lie and deceive the bad guys so that they can be separated from their assets, money, and freedom. Furthermore, 1811s have to be able to out-deceive these bad guys if you will, which means they have to be smarter and even more deceptive than the bad guys they are encountering. Has this ever crossed your mind?

• Ratatatat
          Ratatatat commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm 100% for using smarts and skills of deception to outfox the criminals.

I'm 100% against using the same to control rank and file for the sake of maintaining power....

It's ridiculous but its ok god has a plan for people like that karma is an witch.

Comment

1. Upon employment, hire an attorney. Let it be known frequently that you have an employment attorney on retainer. For example, when your annual performance appraisal is presented to you, say something like "Thank you for this, but before I sign it, I would like to have my attorney review it." They will say no, but you've let it be known that you have legal advocacy, and they will likely move onto someone who doesn't.

Do you recommend any particular law firms for having an attorney on retainer? Are there any "all-star" firms that you recommend for federal employment issues?

Comment

The last thing I would do here is plug a law firm.

Google "employment attorneys" and you will find ample choices.

And it really doesn't matter who you have as representation. What matters is you frequently let it be known that you have a hair trigger when it comes to dropping paper and an EEO lawsuit is only a phone call away. They will quickly find someone else to kick in the teeth because this outfit moves faster than corn through a sick mallard when they know you have an EEO attorney on speed dial....
            Last edited by Ratatatat; 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Has anyone heard anything else?
              OUT!!

Comment

• Lay_Tactical
                Lay_Tactical commented
                Editing a comment
                Referrals are suppose to go out sometime in January.

Application ranking was pushed back until early January. Those selected for interviews won't be notifed until the end of January or beyond.

Comment

And just wait until you get a load of many of your co-workers. Tip of the spear, my arse. Eye yie yie how do some of these people ever get selected...

-Paul Harvey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7228 users online. 347 members and 6881 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X