300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOTfed20 View Post
    Does anyone know if DEA does reciprocity with other BI’s done by OPM? or does the DEA send their own man to complete the top secret BI?
    I used to do the backgrounds for DEA sometimes, and I was in a contractor capacity retained by OPM and later DOD when the switch occurred. Usually it was a full investigation of the person whether it be for a reinvestigation, or a new hire. If you have had one done in the past 5 years and there have been no changes since then, they may just pull your current employment record and interview a few references. Its still at the discretion of the security office as to whether they will put you through an entire investigation again.

I'll just use myself as an example, I've had two jobs since I had one conducted on me about 2 years ago. The job was the one I needed the TS background for (that I had for 2 years) and now I work for the state of Texas. If I were to go through another Tier 5/SSBI they would have to verify both employments, and more time would be spent verifying my previous job since I held it longer, every other component that was previously completed hasn't changed since it was completed 2 years ago. If you are in a situation like that they may just update what needs to be updated.

Comment

Can anyone provide information on some of the aspects of the job (not what is in the vacancy description), and what DI's are given: Gov Cell phone, creds, gov vehicle, laptop, uniform, etc.......

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        You're going to find more info or responses on FederalSoup. There's a guy in the main DI thread (about 175 pages) who is a current DI and provides a lot of info. From what I recall, they are given credentials in the form of a laminated card, but not a badge. I believe they receive a cell phone, laptop, and government vehicle (but not a takehome?). The DEA could choose to arm DIs but as a policy matter hasn't, due to some lawsuits and OPM issues in the past.

Anyone heard anything that took the proctored test in Aug?

Comment

Originally posted by JerseygirlinFL View Post
        Anyone heard anything that took the proctored test in Aug?
        Not a thing. You may want to follow the FederalSoup thread on it, there are more applicants on that forum. It sounds like typically people receive interview invites within a couple months of the proctored exam, although I don't know if COVID is impacting that.

I was really excited about the possibility of being a Diversion Investigator, but I'm taking a different route. As much as I'd enjoy working for the DEA, I decided to go for a covered position to keep my options open (I'm 34 now).

Comment

• JerseygirlinFL
          JerseygirlinFL commented
          Editing a comment
          Every time i try to register on fed soup it keep saying to check the box that I’m not a robot but i don’t see a box so i cant register but i still read all the post on there.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          FYI, you can now sign up for a Fed Soup account if you use a .mil or .gov emai. I just did it, after a year or two of trying.

I just heard back from HR i passed the test from august. Now just waiting until they schedule interviews!

Comment

Congrats. Did you take it early August?

Comment

any updates on the process or people that may have received tentative offers?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            I've heard nothing since taking the proctored test in late August. I don't know if that means I didn't pass, or if they're just still processing everything.

There's more info on FederalSoup, an active thread there. It's free to read. I think free new accounts are disabled but that you can pay to create an account and post, if that's important to you.

• BradHP
            BradHP commented
            Editing a comment
            I received my tentative offer at the end of October, then did my medical exam about 2 weeks ago. Back to the waiting game again to see when they start my background.

Applied: 1/2019
            Written Exam: 2/2019
            Interview: 7/2019
            Drug Questionnaire and Disclosure Form: 5/2020
            Tentative Offer: 10/2020
            Medical: 12/2020

As you can see, lots of huge gaps with no contact at all.

• BradHP
            BradHP commented
            Editing a comment
            Winter_Patriot, it shouldn't cost you anything to sign up on FederalSoup. If it's asking you to pay, you might have been redirected to a scam site.

• DOTfed20
            DOTfed20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, I emailed HR a week ago, and they say I passed the interview and I was moving on to the next step, which I assume is the tentative offer. I interviewed in August 2020

We will see how long that takes.

Does anyone have insight on the academy?

I’ve looked on federal soup, but no one has specifics on the academy from what I saw.

Comment

I received a call about panel interviews in the next two weeks. I had applied summer 2020 and I took my proctored exam in August.

The call may be from a blocked number, or from an office in the state where you lived at the time of your application. I moved so I got two calls today.
            Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 02-25-2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Eliteforce
              Eliteforce commented
              Editing a comment
              I forgot all about that application. Super slow agency for sure. Is the interview being conducted via Teams?

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd forgotten too. WebEx actually. I've moved since applying last summer, so they told me an investigator from a different agent would contact me to set up an interview. It apparently is by state or region.

New announcement is out today.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/593505400

Comment

• Camelbak
              Camelbak commented
              Editing a comment
              Time to try again. I applied last year and passed the proctored test. However, a few months later I got an email saying I was ineligible for the announcement.

Well this stinks for some of you.... they just made it mandatory to pass a poly before hire. Was never like that for this position...

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the update. So does that apply for the people who were in the hiring process before this newest vacancy announcement? I noticed that the new announcement does require a poly.

• agent05
              agent05 commented
              Editing a comment
              Winter: I have no clue... hopefully if you already started and it was not in your announcement then you won't have to poly but I have seen crazier things happen so who knows if they'll make you poly in the end.

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              I see. I appreciate the heads up, good to know. I applied back in summer of 2020.

I just applied let’s see where it goes, the job looks interesting and from my understanding they are not sworn leos right?

Comment

• nonotnow
              nonotnow commented
              Editing a comment
              They are not sworn leos. They do not carry a firearm, some people go 1811 after a few years.

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              DIs are not sworn LEOs and it looks like there is no plan to convert them to hybrid 1811 positions going forward. There's a 2010 DOJ study saying that DIs do about 70% criminal investigative work. That probably depends on the office, some offices have DIs refer everything criminal to the Tactical Diversion Squad.
              Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 03-05-2021, 08:08 AM.

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice thanks for the info, looks like a good foot in the door for a federal career. I’ll definitely do it if I get an offer.

People who applied in 2018/2019 are getting their preference sheets now.

New preference sheets now ask about foreign language, military, investigation experience.
            Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 03-10-2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

After the medical, how long has it taken before the eqip packet has been sent out ?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                Winter_Patriot commented
                Editing a comment
                People on federal soup report that it can be a couple months or much longer. Timelines seem to vary wildly depending on the applicant. Final offers are going out for 2018 and 2019 applicants.

I was referred for the last announcement and just scheduled my assessment.

First time I didn't pass it and the second time I passed it, but then they said I was ineligible for the announcement.

So hopefully third time's a charm...

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                Winter_Patriot commented
                Editing a comment
                Hiring process is confusing and slow for sure. I passed the written assessment but didn’t hear anything for months. Did a panel interview and also months of silence now. No word from HR about my status.

• Camelbak
                Camelbak commented
                Editing a comment
                The process has been quite annoying to say the least. The fact I passed the test then they said I was ineligible made no sense. If I was ineligible for the announcement I should have not been referred in the first place to go test.

However, I am going to keep trying because I have heard good things about DI and it is a career worth pursuing.

• Winter_Patriot
                Winter_Patriot commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not impressed with the HR process. Communication has been sparse and not always consistent. My application fell into a black hole after I interviewed. I asked HR for an update and they asked me to send forms that I already sent last year. And then their hiring criteria apparently changed between now and 2020, so I'm not sure if I qualify anymore.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4933 users online. 294 members and 4639 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X