Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deportation Officer (DAL-ERO-10214872-DH-BH)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appreciate all of the math, but I’ve been a federal employee for some time now and my amazing wife is already an 1811. I’m not a young 20 something looking for their first federal law enforcement gig, so at this point, just to get back into it, whatever comes first is where I am going.

So I spoke to my ex roommate to get a more round about understanding about the deportation officer positions. he specifically said they do not fall under 6C as the title of deportation officer. They are regular FERS retirement and work 40 hours a week.
    He said he gets “AUO” when and if he works overtime.

he gave me a run down of the job at hand since he waited a few months before fletc and was able to observe operations. He said depending on what unit you receive, there’s a high chance you are in a processing area inputting detainee info into computers.

i hope everyone get where they want to be. It takes time. I have put scores of apps in for federal law enforcement jobs and only received 2 jobs out of trying.
    Last edited by alc31180; 07-08-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• FNG41YR
      FNG41YR commented
      Editing a comment
      No offense but your friend is an idiot. Deportation Officers are covered under “6c.”

• no offense taken. I don't work for the agency. He is just relaying what he was told by his admin people. he is a first time federal employee. All he can do is go based on what he was told, correct? That shouldn't label someone as an "idiot" if they were misinformed. I will advise him to look at box 30(?) on his SF-50 which should list his retirement plan. if it says 6C, then great for him, considering he is an idiot and all.

Comment

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      If he has already been hired and is that oblivious about retirement (even though that information readily available online) hay may just be an idiot.

• Originally posted by Wentwestco View Post
    And not all Fed LEO 20 yr retirements count overtime towards the three year average. Young guys in the BOP should take note. In the USPs you are fighting and running from one violent incident to another for a cut rate 20 year retirement where only base pay is calculated.
    High 3 calculations include LEO premium pay (LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA). Overtime is not counted toward your high three with the exception of CBPOs (COPRA). CBPOs do not earn a premium pay but can count OT pay up to 50 percent of the OT cap toward their high three.
    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• Originally posted by alc31180 View Post
      Appreciate all of the math, but I’ve been a federal employee for some time now and my amazing wife is already an 1811. I’m not a young 20 something looking for their first federal law enforcement gig, so at this point, just to get back into it, whatever comes first is where I am going.

So I spoke to my ex roommate to get a more round about understanding about the deportation officer positions. he specifically said they do not fall under 6C as the title of deportation officer. They are regular FERS retirement and work 40 hours a week.

he gave me a run down of the job at hand since he waited a few months before fletc and was able to observe operations. He said depending on what unit you receive, there’s a high chance you are in a processing area inputting detainee info into computers.

i hope everyone get where they want to be. It takes time. I have put scores of apps in for federal law enforcement jobs and only received 2 jobs out of trying.
      You are obviously not as well “informed” as you think. First let’s look at your claim that DOs get the regular FERS retirement but somehow get an LEO premium pay (AUO). There is not one position in the government that I am aware of that gets an LEO premium pay but doesn’t get the enhanced retirement. Your “information” is from a guy that just got hired and apparently doesn’t know crap but I’m sure he knows more than a guy that’s been in covered positions since the 90s.

Next item is the AUO = overtime (45act). They are really two separate entities. DOs receive both AUO and overtime.

There are pros and cons to any job but your information is incorrect. DOs are covered under the (6C/12D) retirement.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42631.pdf
      “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

Comment

• NCG128
        NCG128 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sir be my FTO lol

• he said his box 30 on his SF50 says "FERS Special / Code MF." I am sure that is why he said he was FERS. He says he has no other info on it. He is finishing up FLETC in a few weeks, just to show how new to service he is.

Checked out your link and I do see it. It's appreciated. We can all sleep better now.

Comment

• Originally posted by alc31180 View Post

Also, I call BS on the “he gets AUO”. One does not get AUO before or during the academy. Since he is currently at the academy there is no way for him to be getting “AUO”. The certification for AUO happens at the field office and after graduation from the academy.

Your buddy seems like an excellent source of information. Other than not knowing about his retirement, claiming to be getting AUO (when he doesn’t) or the actual job duties of a DO. I hope you consult him for all of your future job prospects.

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve never seen anyone get certified for AUO before the academy. How can trainee that hasn’t attended the academy that can’t do any kind of LE work self certify that he must continue working? I can’t see any FOD certifying a trainee that hasn’t attended the academy.
          Last edited by Exbpa340; 07-08-2020, 11:19 PM.

• P.I.D.I01
          P.I.D.I01 commented
          Editing a comment
          I said the same until. I seen it with my own eyes

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info but I’ll need to see gun footage on this one.

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          This would be craaaazy if true. After all the scrutiny over AUO. Officers dropping in AUO. Academy staff and DDOs losing AUO entirely there would be a FOD certifying someone waiting to go to the academy. If this were to happen it’s completely unjustifiable and merits an audit.

• Received my EOD on Monday! I was told by the HR contact that I would be getting an email about the hire, but I haven't seen anything yet. Also, for me, it's been difficult getting a hold of my HR poc via phone. I'm sure they're busy with the hiring surge.

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          You’ll probably get it by in the next day or two. When is your EOD? Academy?

• ATanaka
          ATanaka commented
          Editing a comment
          9/14, but the academy is yet "to be determined due to COVID," as I was told.

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just before the end of the fiscal year. Someone at my office started a couple of weeks ago and still doesn’t have an academy date.

• Hey everyone, I sent an email asking the status of my application and got this response, “Your case is still pending Entry on Duty”. Has anyone gotten this response before? Does it mean my background is still pending?

Comment

• notoriousjnc
          notoriousjnc commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve taken four polygraphs for different agencies. But I’ve never taken one on a federal level.

I haven’t heard anything since the medical. I suspect it’s going to be quite a while.

• HopefulBP
          HopefulBP commented
          Editing a comment
          When did you get your TSL?

• notoriousjnc
          notoriousjnc commented
          Editing a comment
          On May 20th

• HopefulBP
          HopefulBP commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like we’re on the same timeline.....

• Exbpa340 just trying to verify..So how exactly does promotion work for this position? is it apply for every grade or is it only apply if you want to go and be a supervisor? Do a lot of DO’s apply to be supervisor/ would you be looked down upon if you just decide to stop as a 12 and just do the steps from there?

Comment

• You will generally progress up the grades Until you reach full performance level GS 12 automatically. You will spend 52 weeks at each grade 7,9 and 11. Once at the GS 12 you will move along the longevity steps.

Moving into management is a personal decision and for most locations require years of experience (you can promote up the chain faster in less than desirable locations). Being an SDDO requires a well rounded knowledge of the the job, policy and the law.

Comment

• MarcyMarsoc
            MarcyMarsoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the quick reply sir

• Recently cleared the pre employment process and was given an EOD date in September. Like others, I was not given an academy date. At this time, it appears that I will be renting a room near the office until i go through fletc so that my wife can stay in our home. Considering atendees currently can not leave fletc once on base, it makes sense for her to stay back close to family and friends.

Since I have no academy date, I am unsure how long I will have to financially carry a mortgage and a second housing option. Plus, I am concerned that fletc may get shutdown a second time. I asked HR if I could detail to an office nearby until I completed training, but was told this was not feasible at this time. Anyone else have any advice or in a similar situation?

Comment

• Jman917
            Jman917 commented
            Editing a comment
            Office for me is not commutable so I will be renting a room for the foreseeable future. I believe they want me in the office everyday, however I have been told that a lot of DOs are teleworking. So I am not sure what the actual plan is for when we start. Probably assisting with office duties and getting some training when available.

• Page
            Page commented
            Editing a comment
            ChiGuy1980, that is a long time to wait. You mean 6-8 months from now, or 6-8 months total, minus your time since EOD? Also, will you be going through the full FLETC new hire program, or the shorter transition training program?
            Last edited by Page; 07-13-2020, 06:47 PM.

• ChiGuy1980
            ChiGuy1980 commented
            Editing a comment
            Page 6-8 months from when I EOD back in April. Not sure what they’re going to make me do.

• Page
            Page commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, that's less bad. Still long, but you're almost there!

• Anyone has clarity of how FLETC is like for ERO I’ve been to FLETC already for UPTP, but I was just advise today by someone that ERO academy is tougher than HSI/ Marshal’s which I highly doubt..but any current guys at the academy or who went to the academy within the previous year can shed some light of how it’s run down their for ERO

Running and doing push-ups/PT is just something that gets done at every academy so I don’t care about that. Just didn’t like the whole scare tactic some guys like to do for their agencies.

Comment

• Dallasg15
            Dallasg15 commented
            Editing a comment
            * what is the PT requirement for them is it mainly “participation” type of environment or are they trying to murder in every PT session*

Just curious because I already done my fair share of Drill instructors screaming at me lol...
            and doing “PT because of the weakest link in the class”

• ATanaka
            ATanaka commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm really curious to know too. That's the first time I ever heard that it was tougher than USM or HSI.

• NCG128
            NCG128 commented
            Editing a comment
            I second this, can someone also give us a break down on the academics as well!

• The Muscle Dude
            The Muscle Dude commented
            Editing a comment
            Much, much tougher than HSI academy...but not USMS.

• Dallasg15 from what I was told, people that fail the academy was because of the pt part. However, you only have to run a mile and half in 14 min, so the people that couldn’t pass that were just out of shape. Academia wise, the test are open book style.

Comment

• FNG41YR
            FNG41YR commented
            Editing a comment
            The tests are not open book. You'll have ICE exams and FLETC exams. You can fail one of each.

• Originally posted by MarcyMarsoc View Post
          Dallasg15 from what I was told, people that fail the academy was because of the pt part. However, you only have to run a mile and half in 14 min, so the people that couldn’t pass that were just out of shape. Academia wise, the test are open book style.
          That’s crazy! Open book style?! I went through UPTP not to long ago, and there was ZERO open book anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCG128 View Post
            That’s crazy! Open book style?! I went through UPTP not to long ago, and there was ZERO open book anything.
            "That's crazy! Open book style?!".... LOL

There are quite a few guys who lost out on a 6 figure career because they didnt take those "Open book tests" seriously enough. They thought that since the ICE tests were "open book" (FLETC Law is still closed book), they couldnt be that hard and they should be able to sit down, sign in, and at least get that 70+. A few days later (after failing the retest) they are sitting on a flight home and wondering what the heck happened.

Immigration law is complicated and you need to know how (and where) to research and apply law to real life scenerios. You WILL NOT be able to do that succesfully if you think you can just wing it because its technically "open book".

Dont get me wrong. Its not rocket science or medical school LOL. Pay attention in class, ask questions when you dont understand, put the work in and study, and you'll be fine. But please dont risk your career before it even starts by viewing academics as a given because you heard its "open book" and only need a 70+ to pass.

Comment

• The Muscle Dude
              The Muscle Dude commented
              Editing a comment
              The "open book" must have just been recent. It has always been common to hear people fail academically by double tap or failing more than two written tests.

• NCG128
              NCG128 commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate your input. And absolutely not, I have every intention to work hard and study my butt off! Just from my previous experience I wasn’t expecting to be told it’s open book.

But do they do a good job breaking down the immigration law/scenarios? I know with UPTP, The Instructers did a great job breaking everything down for us!

• NCG128
              NCG128 commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, what was the most difficult exam? 4th Amendment for you guys?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3224 users online. 155 members and 3069 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X