Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deportation Officer (DAL-ERO-10214872-DH-BH)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post
    Alternate = someone will have to fail to pass the pre-employment requirements. At that point you will move in and take the available opening (assuming you are the first alternate). If everyone already selected passes everything then an alternate would not be offered a final job offer.
    OK, can you help me out, I'm still confused on this one.

So, hypothetically, if I received a TSL, and I am doing paperwork and med/fit, does this mean:

1. Someone else who HAD a TSL has already dropped out of the process, and I was picked from a list of alternates, and in receiving the TSL I have taken an open spot?

OR

2. There is not an open spot, but I am on a list of alternates for if/when there is an open spot. And even though there is no open spot yet, I am still doing paperwork, med/fit, etc?

Anyway, I say hypothetically, because I have no idea if I am an alternate or not, it said nothing in one way or another about that in my TSL. I am not sure if I will email HR and ask, maybe it is better if I don't know .
    ((≡≡))

Comment

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      First let me say that I am not involved in hiring for the agency but logically if I were told that I was selected as an “alternate” my first inclination would be that someone else must drop out in order for me to get a final offer. Now if I was told that I was I was selected off an alternate list due to someone else dropping out then I would appear to have the position.

My advice would be to reach out to HR and get clarification.

If you are officially selected then why would HR be using terminology like “alternate”. I would think that they would simply offer you the position.

Even if you are an alternate there are many that won’t pass all the steps.
      Last edited by Exbpa340; 07-01-2020, 07:53 AM.

• Page
      Page commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, for sure I got you - all of this is to the best of our understanding, and it makes enough sense logically the way you put it.

Well, I don't know if I will ask HR to give an official interpretation on this. I will think about it. Probably not though, I don't think I want to know. Because knowing will not really impact anything I am doing either way, all I can do is just wait!

• AKrizzy2643
      AKrizzy2643 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know about a dozen "alternates" who have gotten EOD dates. Expect a little longer process.. perhaps at this point atleast September Or later after new FY starts in October/2021 budget passed.. whenever that happens.

• It does sound like people are getting some EODs. Encouraging!

Comment

• Just received EOD!!! Stoked! "Started from the bottom now we here"

Comment

• NCG128
        NCG128 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations! When did you receive your TSL?

• Rickierecon012
        Rickierecon012 commented
        Editing a comment
        Got the TSL March 11

• Costanza
        Costanza commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on that! Your timeline seemed super fast. Did you have to poly?!

• Calitown
        Calitown commented
        Editing a comment
        congrats brotha

• Is there a possibility of a new hiring announcement this year?

Comment

• notoriousjnc
        notoriousjnc commented
        Editing a comment
        I literally checked everyday for about 6 months.

It comes out of nowhere and you have to strike fast.

• Bidstar
        Bidstar commented
        Editing a comment
        notoriousjnc I been doing the same thing!, I thought since in their website said they want to hire 10,000 new officers I thought it would be easier to know when the next announcement would be, guess we need to keep on the look out until a new hiring announcement comes

• Got told I cleared the drug, medical, and fit test, just waiting on background. TSL May 22nd.

Comment

• notoriousjnc
        notoriousjnc commented
        Editing a comment
        Where you contacted by an investigator? Or did you inquire about that information?

• Mhuck
        Mhuck commented
        Editing a comment
        I inquired about it.

• Costanza
        Costanza commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I’m in the same boat at you, did my Drug/Medical/Fit and haven’t heard a peep. Guess no news is good news.

• Got the call for EOD as well. I believe they'll initiate my backgrounds after the EOD...Just wished they completed all this before officially hiring me lol.

Comment

• Calitown
        Calitown commented
        Editing a comment
        Costanza I'm a lowly GS-6 right now, however prior military w/clearance. I've had several eqips cleared by both DHS/DoD in the past, so that might explain it. How far are you in the process?

NCG128 no I tried to get in with them before though!

notoriousjnc Yes current GS employe. From what I understand, ICE hiring process is not as cookie cutter or linear like CBP/BPA hiring process is. Its kind of all over the place really.

Page Yes thats correct, EOD for August
        Last edited by Calitown; 07-05-2020, 07:44 PM.

• Costanza
        Costanza commented
        Editing a comment
        Did my Drug/Medical/Fit a couple weeks ago and chillin ever since!

• Dallasg15
        Dallasg15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations brotha!!

• NCG128
        NCG128 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you get it via email or phone call?

• Hope all is well guys! Anyone here trying to onboard with the New York office? I applied on the recent announcement in January, eQup, Fingerprints, Physical and PT completed all last month.
      I received a package in the mail from ICE/DHS over the last week and I don’t have a clue what it might be has anyone received anything in the mail from them aside from fingerprints? I no longer live at that address - that’s why I mention that. I’m coming over as a Fed LEO w/DOJ Currently with a TS/SCI

Comment

• notoriousjnc
        notoriousjnc commented
        Editing a comment
        You should definitely try and inquire what it was ASAP. It could be time sensitive information that they’re requesting.

• Has anyone that got a TSL in May gotten a call/email for poly?

Comment

• Andrewmp2020
        Andrewmp2020 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have gotten an email for poly

• HopefulBP
        HopefulBP commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmmm well hopefully I hear something soon.

• HopefulBP
        HopefulBP commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrewmp2020, how long ago did you turn in your Eqip?

• Andrewmp2020
        Andrewmp2020 commented
        Editing a comment
        JUN 4th eqip accepted... got an email from an examiner JUN 23rd

• Yeah I got myTSL the same day.

Comment

• January applicant here. Got referred 3/31.

my old roommate got hired back around September, for a Florida office. Process took him 6-8 months to get on. No interview, no poly. Prior local law enforcement / non vet Went to fletc in feb, came home due to Covid, went back a few weeks ago and is finishing up the first part of training.

in my case, I was selected / hired in Feb for FPS (federal Protective Service) but given no start date due to covid.

if I get an offer from ICE, would they take all of my processing from FPS since it all falls under DHS? Already did equip, medical, background, ect ect.

Comment

• The Muscle Dude
          The Muscle Dude commented
          Editing a comment
          But would you prefer to be ICE ERO or FPS?

• alc31180
          alc31180 commented
          Editing a comment
          the muscle dude

Honestly it’s whoever calls first at this point. I’m going to have to go to FLETC regardless (again).

If covid didn’t happen I’d be in the next fletc class for FPS and it doesn’t seem like I got called by ICE for the January announcement.

My former roommate said his class was told by instructors that they are having multiple classes called by the fiscal year ending (end of sept) - upwards of 5-6 classes. Anything can happen.

Currently working federally, been for years, so at least I have time in.

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Financially/Retirement it’s not even a close call. One is considered an LEO under title 5 with the covered (6C/12D)retirement and premium pay. The other is not considered an LEO under title 5/no covered retirement or premium pay.

• The Muscle Dude
          Editing a comment
          I was under the impression that FPS (CISA) just got their 6c/12d not too long ago.

• The people that got their EOD dates did you receive notification via email or telephone?

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Initially it is a phone call. It was then followed up by an email a day or two later with the EOD in writing. This was for an academy exempt individual.

• Originally posted by alc31180 View Post
        the muscle dude

Honestly it’s whoever calls first at this point. I’m going to have to go to FLETC regardless (again).

If covid didn’t happen I’d be in the next fletc class for FPS and it doesn’t seem like I got called by ICE for the January announcement.

My former roommate said his class was told by instructors that they are having multiple classes called by the fiscal year ending (end of sept) - upwards of 5-6 classes. Anything can happen.

Currently working federally, been for years, so at least I have time in.
        FPS where? I hope it’s not Miami!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donjoe954 View Post

FPS where? I hope it’s not Miami!
          No. It’s up on the east coast.

Comment

• The Muscle Dude
            Editing a comment
            Well good luck on whichever gig you take. Both are very prestigious at the federal level. I bet FPS is harder to get though. But definately go for the one that calls first. If ICE offered you a bad location, go ahead and take it and then decide with the FPS when they call and make the move. Location is definately a major factor.

• Page
            Page commented
            Editing a comment
            Psst, it's definitely spelled "definitely", Dude .

• The Muscle Dude
            Editing a comment
            @ Page
            Sure, same word/adverb in one sentence. It's definAtely the most misspelled word lol. No more HSI proctored exam Thanks

• Page
            Page commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, you’re so welcome! Thanks for pointing it out, I definitely used the word “definitely” more than once in a sentence, and I am definitely over my word ration now. Oops, I guess I have to work on that, MY BAD!

• Originally posted by alc31180 View Post
          January applicant here. Got referred 3/31.

my old roommate got hired back around September, for a Florida office. Process took him 6-8 months to get on. No interview, no poly. Prior local law enforcement / non vet Went to fletc in feb, came home due to Covid, went back a few weeks ago and is finishing up the first part of training.

in my case, I was selected / hired in Feb for FPS (federal Protective Service) but given no start date due to covid.

if I get an offer from ICE, would they take all of my processing from FPS since it all falls under DHS? Already did equip, medical, background, ect ect.

l ran the numbers between these two positions some time back....

The FERS covered LEO (6C/12D) retirement has a higher percentage awarded plus one can retire with 20 years of covered time at age 50 or 25 years of covered time at any age. Regular FERS requires that most work until at least 57 and they receive a lower percentage of their high three. Many LEO positions receive premium pay (LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA) that is considered basic pay for retirement (high three). This means an additional 25 percent of pay through your career and in retirement. Add the extra pay toward your high 3 plus a higher percentage makes a huuuuge difference in retirement.

The third leg of federal retirement is social security (first is the pension and the second is TSP -401k). Federal LEOs receive a supplemental based on social security earnings by the number of civil service (FERS) years worked. 20 years of FERS = 50 percent of social security benefit (at age 62) paid at retirement date (example age 50) until age 62. 30 years would equal a 75 percent share. This benefit is paid by the government and not social security. Non LEOs must work 30 years to qualify for the supplemental. The supplemental ends at age 62 and one can then file for social security.

Lets compare a FPS Officer vs a Deportation Officer (DO)

GS 12 step 5 (both Officers] Pay

FPS base - 91,784

DO base - 91,784 plus AUO (25 percent) 22,946 plus FLSA (roughly 7 or 8 percent) 8,500 = 123,230 (Extra Pay requires an average of 18 hours of extra work per pay period).

Both positions could work 45 act (overtime) and earn additional income (not credited toward high 3 for retirement calculations)

Retirement high 3
          FPS - 91,784
          DO - 114,742.50

plus at 20 years of service the DO would qualify for the supplemental and the FPS Officer would not. Plus the DO would have a significantly higher percentage of is high three (at 20 years of service would be 70 percent more/at 25 years it would be 56 percent more).

Retirement numbers
          FPS (high 3 = 91,784)
          20 years - (20 percent] = $18,356
          25 years - (25 percent) = $22,946

DO (high 3 = 114,742.5)
          20 years (34 percent) = $39,012 plus supplemental (based on 2,000 benefit per month at 62) 12,000 = $51,012
          25 years (39 percent) = $44,749 plus supplemental (based on 2,000 benefit per month at 62) 15,000 = $59,749

FERS employees can buy back any active duty military time to bring those numbers up a bit. After 30 years of service non covered positions are also entitled to the supplemental. These numbers don’t include TSP which can add an additional $12,000 - $34,000 (or more) per year in withdrawals throughout retirement. Federal LEOs have access to their TSP accounts at age 50 vs 59.5 for non LEOs.

In this scenario (not counting TSP or any other investments) a DO would get a retirement income of $59,749 @ age 50 in retirement vs an FPS Officer with a retirement income of $22,946 and he would need to work until age 57 for this. These numbers do not include social security that both would be eligible for at age 62.

https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...ns#post6781898
          Last edited by Exbpa340; 07-08-2020, 12:48 AM.
          “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
          DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• NCG128
            NCG128 commented
            Editing a comment
            For people that plan on staying longer than 20 years (till 57) whats the percentage after the 20 year mark? It's 1.1 or 1.0 after the 20 yr mark?

• Exbpa340
            Exbpa340 commented
            Editing a comment
            FERS covered retirement nets you 1.7 percent per year for 20 years. Every year after that is an additional 1 percent.

• And not all Fed LEO 20 yr retirements count overtime towards the three year average. Young guys in the BOP should take note. In the USPs you are fighting and running from one violent incident to another for a cut rate 20 year retirement where only base pay is calculated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5300 users online. 319 members and 4981 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X