300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

I received an update from usajobs this mornjng saying there was an update to my application status, though when I view it on usajobs, nothing has changed. Im assuming they picked up who they needed based on the earlier posts in the threads with guys interviewing pretty quickly after NORs.
    Got that same email this last week... No idea though no change.

Comment

Commerce Department SAs have it the worst. Ever deal with export regulations for dual use products? Exceptions, exemptions, license determinations, license histories, country control charts, commodity classifications, ITAR, OFAC, EAR, IEEPA, eye yi yi.

Commerce Department SAs have it the best. Ever search Indeed.com or LinkedIn for export compliance jobs? Always open positions, often six figure salaries. While other retired 1811s are working at Costco or driving Ubers, companies big and small are looking for people with Commerce Dept backgrounds....
      There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

I got a referred a while back so hopefully our names are still in the pool. I am keeping hope alive

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          Commerce Department SAs have it the worst. Ever deal with export regulations for dual use products? Exceptions, exemptions, license determinations, license histories, country control charts, commodity classifications, ITAR, OFAC, EAR, IEEPA, eye yi yi.

Commerce Department SAs have it the best. Ever search Indeed.com or LinkedIn for export compliance jobs? Always open positions, often six figure salaries. While other retired 1811s are working at Costco or driving Ubers, companies big and small are looking for people with Commerce Dept backgrounds....
          Are most of these retirees still working by choice? They are just bored and need something to do? When I'm retired I want to actually be retired.

Comment

Originally posted by ACO88 View Post

Are most of these retirees still working by choice? They are just bored and need something to do? When I'm retired I want to actually be retired.
            If you retire as a career special agent from the feds and you have to work, you have made terrible life decisions and financial decisions for the 20/25 years up to that point.

If you retire as a 13/7 with 25 years, your pension alone should be around 55, and that's RUS pay tables. Your social security supplement will be at least 10k, and whatever your TSP is. The TSP is the difference between making 60k in retirement and making 150k a year in retirement. Or taking the cash out of a million plus, before taxes.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by ACO88 View Post

Retirement party at age 50, TSP account with a million bucks in it, full annuity, social security supplement, and nothing to do on any given day but golf and fish and bask in the warm sunshine. There are people living that dream....

Most are not though... maybe there was a divorce. Maybe the kids are in college at a school that costs $60K a year. Maybe the housing market has been less than generous over the years. Maybe the stock market has been flat or declining (the past 10 years is not typical of returns and most experts are predicting a significant contraction looming on the horizon). For many reasons, people are compelled to keep working past age 50 due to financial reasons.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume the decision has been made to leave the G. Because your fun meter has peaked. Because you want to roll the dice and do something different. Because it's time to let the Millennials take over. For whatever reason.

Think about earnings potential from age 50 to the Social Security 'full retirement age' (56 and 10 months, but varies depending on DOB), at which point the Earnings Test kicks in social security supplement gets reduced if making over $17K a year....

That period is a window to take maximum advantage of annuity, social security supplement, and a new salary. And instead of withdrawing from TSP, those years can be used to bump up annual contributions from $18K to $24.5K.

BUT, and this is a huge BUT, how does one transition into a private sector job that pays in the six figure range? By having skills important to the private sector. Skills that take years to acquire. Skills that have value because they can protect industry by ensuring procedures are properly conducted.

Export compliance is one of those subject areas where companies will duly compensate those who understand the complex matrix of regulations and interrelationships.

There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, this. Im friendly with a retired SA that just took a job with a money services company doing investigations based on his time with his investigative agency. Less than he was making but it's still good money by any standard, plus generous retirement sum. Just a guy who wants to keep working, he was about to be mandatory

• Ratatatat
                Ratatatat commented
                Editing a comment
                He's lucky if he was 57 and pulled it off. Marketability is much better at 50 than 57 in the private sector. But then again, with the right skillset (and 3.9% unemployment), they are having a hard time filling skillset positions right now...

I got the BQ / referred message twice for the same announcement which was odd. Still shows referred but otherwise I haven’t heard anything.

Comment

• RVAhiker
                RVAhiker commented
                Editing a comment
                In the same boat for MAP and DEU. Taking them a while to sift through 300 applications. Unless of course they took more that came in.

As long as it keeps saying referred/BQ I'll be happy. Just don't wanna wake up and see the "Not Hired" one morning. Commerce also just opened OSY 1811 positions as well. I'd prefer Export Enforcement though to be honest, I'll take who ever offers me a gig. This 1811 hunt has been going on for a long time.

Comment

• izamsilas
                izamsilas commented
                Editing a comment
                Anyone had anything other than a phone interview for the OSY positions that have flown in years past?

• Loyalty
                Loyalty commented
                Editing a comment
                I made a few calls today and learned they haven't made any selections for quite a few locations. I was told to check back toward the end of the week or next week. Not earth shattering news but news nonetheless.

• RVAhiker
                RVAhiker commented
                Editing a comment
                Any idea what locations are still available?

• Loyalty
                Loyalty commented
                Editing a comment
                I really only inquired about the SE region and he said they still hadn't interviewed or made selections for various locations in that region.

Well that’s good news. Hopefully interviews are scheduled soon. What locations did you guys apply for? I only selected DC.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7387 users online. 258 members and 7129 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X