Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA LEO questions

Hello All,

Please know that I have done my best to research these questions; I have even asked individual officers at hiring events hosted by the base I work at. I have a couple questions about entering the hiring process for various LEO agencies around the state of Washington. I took the written/physical exams yesterday and, for what it's worth, I scored an 86% on the written and a max-score on the physical.

Firstly, I am wondering what I need to do to claim vet's preference; I sent my results to Everett, Auburn, King County and Washington State Patrol (who was there offering to add their name to candidates' list for free). According to their hiring announcement, Everett simply required candidates to email in DD-214's or Statements of Service to claim Vet's preference. When I attempted to email the address listed in the hiring announcement through Public Safety Testing, the email came back as "undeliverable"....so, not entirely sure what to do with that.

Next, I am curious about my test score. The "recruiters" who showed up to the hiring event have been notoriously silent about what constitutes a "good" test score. I don't think an 86 + Vet's Pref is particularly "good"; however, a close friend of mine is waiting on a King County academy to start up, and he only scored 79%....so, maybe this gives me a shot. Is it recommended that I strive for a higher test score? I still have five months left on active duty so, perhaps, I could give it a shot.

Lastly, given that I decide to go forward with the written score I received yesterday, how do I go about actually APPLYING for the agencies which received my test scores? Should I reach out to them, or will they contact me if my scores are competitive enough?

I would appreciate any help with the information above and I do apologize if the questions are simplistic in nature. I am currently in the hiring process for Border Patrol, but I figured it would be responsible to pursue LEO just in case all that does not end in a desirable manner; seems like the hiring process is returning to it's roots and slowing down. Once again, thank you for your time.

-Andrew

I got hired in WA with a written score of 80 percent plus veteran preference. Just depends on the agency and number of applicants. I assume you are stationed at Bremerton or JBLM. You have some time left to get hired. Thanks for your service and good luck on getting hired.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
      RaspiestShrimp commented
      Editing a comment
      It's been a pleasure thus far, thank you! I'm actually on shore duty nowadays, up at NAS Whidbey Island. About 1.5 years ago, a buddy of mine told me I needed a minimum of 95% to be competitive. I'm guessing that's BS. haha
      Last edited by RaspiestShrimp; 08-26-2018, 04:55 PM.

Industry average time from app to hire is around 6-12 months.
    start testing.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
      RaspiestShrimp commented
      Editing a comment
      So...test again?
      Last edited by RaspiestShrimp; 08-26-2018, 04:55 PM.

• scotty_appleton814
      scotty_appleton814 commented
      Editing a comment
      Me personally, I advise the shotgun method of applying in LE. I sent test scores to about 40 ish departments in the PNW and nationwide. When I was getting out the Army, my unit was very accommodating to me as far as needing time off to go do a ton of interviews. I worked in LE and about 6 months prior to my ETS, they took me off the schedule and I reported to the OPS NCOIC (translation, I had lots of time to work transitioning smooth). Get as many applications out there to increase your chances of hiring. The name of the game is get hired and get academy certified. After that when you have a working knowledge of the field, you can try to move other to another department if you want. But moving laterally is a bit easier than entry level hiring.
      Last edited by scotty_appleton814; 08-26-2018, 05:09 PM.

• RaspiestShrimp
      RaspiestShrimp commented
      Editing a comment
      @scotty_appleton814 Thank you for the info, brother. Yeah, that was the original plan, until I saw my bill on the public testing site! haha. I kind of just went with agencies in relatively large cities that claim to be recruiting on mass scale right now. Allegedly, now that I have taken the test and sent my results to a couple agencies, it's impossible to apply to new agencies? This whole application process seems really shady and unorganized. The public testing thing and NTN must be making an absolute killing.

I am really lucky to be at my current command. My entire chain was on my last boat with me, and we have deployed together about four or five times. I'm a fully qualified shift supervisor and, at this point, they basically let me come and go as I please. Extremely fortunate to have whatever amount of time I need to attend whatever hiring event / process is going on!

I dont know if they are hiring, but I have worked with Pierce, Snohomish, and Whatcom County SO and they all are good places to work. I recommend them to you to try. If you prefer east WA, Spokane PD pays well and the living is good. West WA home prices and availability are insane right now, plus the traffic is horrible.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
      RaspiestShrimp commented
      Editing a comment
      You hit the nail on the head with the housing market. Initially, my wife and I thought we would live out our days in Washington. I transferred to Bremerton about five years ago and we both fell in love with the place. The cost of living has increased, exponentially, with each year we have been here. It is no longer reasonable and, if we stay here, we will be renters until the housing market bubble burst.

That leads me to the first portion of your post. Is it possible to apply with those agencies even if I did not elect to send my test results to them? This is a question I cannot obtain the answer to.

I'm not sure about applying to those agencies and the testing procedures. You should call the HR office over their hiring.

Comment

A majority of the PD's in your area use either Public Safety or NTN for their entry-level tests. So once you pick your PD's and click submit, you are normally not allowed to send your scores to other PD's within a certain timeframe UNLESS the PD was not available or open at the time of original purchase. I think for both services you can test again every six months. Yes you are right it is pricey. I spent thousands of dollars getting hired between written tests, physical tests, and flights, and hotels. I now get dividends on that investment with each paycheck I earn. I know that Seattle PD and if im not mistaking, the state patrol does their own testing. Last time I took it, Seattle used the same video test as NTN. I think Everett also did their own written test also. I say beware of Seattle PD, I had a very bad (albeit uniquely) experience with them. Good luck. If you don't mind asking, have you taken NTN and Public Safety's test? Score? PM if you like.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
        RaspiestShrimp commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, Scotty! Thanks for following up, brother. I took the Public Safety test this past Saturday. Maxed out the physical (200 points, I think?) and an 86% on the written. I was not too thrilled about this score, but it must be alright because each agency I applied to contacted me before I even made it to work on Monday morning. I tested for Everett, King Co. and Auburn. When I got to the test, a WSP Trooper asked me a couple questions and asked if I would send him my results for free. I have completed the "invitational" application process for each of these agencies. WSP reached out today to schedule my polygraph for next week. Extremely nervous about that because I have absolutely no idea what to expect.
        Last edited by RaspiestShrimp; 08-28-2018, 10:27 PM.

80%+ will get you an interview in Auburn. I wouldn't recommend using your preference points for initial hiring as we have plenty of openings. If you're qualified and can pass the oral board and background, you'll get an offer. Save your points for the Sergeant exam in a few years. If you have questions about Auburn, let me know!

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
        RaspiestShrimp commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, thank you for the information! I actually have my oral board scheduled on the 26th of this month! I would absolutely love to speak with you, or anyone onboard with APD, about the department and how everything goes. Thank you for reaching out!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7159 users online. 202 members and 6957 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X