300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSS April 2007

There are several Diplomatic Security Service threads already going, but many are old or have several pages. I wanted to start this thread so that it will be easier to find the most recent information. I know that there are several other forums, but this is one is great (good members and does not cost to post).

Those who have received recently BEX'ed, have a COE, or are waiting on a class let us know. Hopefully, we can help those starting process and those of us that are in the waiting game keep current on information. Here is my current timeline:

Online Assessment: Oct 2006
    BEX - Washington DC: Mar 2007
    COE - via telephone: Mar 2007
    Received BI/Med paperwork: Apr 2007

Good luck everyone!
    ------------------------------------------------
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. T E Lawrence

Last edited by Jaymazik; 10-03-2008, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Well since we started a new topic, moderators you might as well close the old DSS topic
      http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dss

But anyways, to DSS-SA or anyone else. Do you have any idea when potential candidates will re-test? Thanks
      Last edited by HeavenSoldier; 04-26-2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

For those who have received the COE

We should keep in touch and let each other know when we receive the call to start training. I did testing in February, received the COE in March, and turned in all of my paperwork at the beginning of April. Just took my medical exams, but don't think that they have started the background investigation. Have they opened up any of your guys' cases yet for the investigation?

I work with State right now as a management officer, so if you have questions about relocating to DC, I might have some advice to offer.

Comment

How is everyone. I tested in Oct and did the interview in March. I received my paperwork 10 days later. I finished my medical in a week and they are piggybacking of my secret clearance from the military in order to finish my background early. It will be done June 1st. When I talk to my HR rep she told me that a security clearance depends on if you have been outside the country numerous times or not. Some people take a month and some people take a year because they are international travelers. During the interview phase in March I happen to talk to the DSS investigator who does the backgrounds. He said that due to the budget constraints, DSS will only be focusing on new hires. That is very good news for us. He says the average turn around is 1-2 months.

Comment

1 to 2 months?

1 to 2 months? Wow, I wish it would take that long. They had my background paperwork for about a month before my case was opened. I guess we will see. Let us know when they open your case and finish the investigation.

Comment

Hey, I think I met you at the interview in DC. I came in 20 minutes late due to traffic and was freaked out. I thought that they wouldn't even see me.

Comment

I don't think it was me, the guy who was sitting there before me was from Washington state, Seattle I think...he was BEXed by Mr. Nora

Comment

Well I returned from my vacation yesterday to find a nice, fat Fed-Ex package with all my background and medical paperwork waiting for me. The background stuff was fairly straight-foward and I knocked most of it out while working off-duty tonight.

For those that have completed the medical part, can you give me some hints on how to make it smoother and faster? My primary physician is pretty busy and the earliest appointment I could make was May 29th. I tried to explain to the scheduling nurse what I was getting into, but I ended up scheduling it as a routine physical and blood work because she didn't understand what I needed. I know there are some specific tests I have to get done like a chest X-ray, EKG stress test, etc...should I wait to see my primary physician and have him schedule everything else?

Also, does anybody know if people have been rejected from the medical clearance due to seemingly benign conditions? For example, I had a heart murmur years ago that was harmless and has since gone away and I recently had a full heart ultrasound that showed a slight mitral regurge (leaky valve) that the cardiologist told me was harmless as well. If I get the doctor's statements that explain that these conditions are harmless and require no treatment, should that be sufficient to get the medical clearance?

Thanks for the input,
                  Gibbmusic
                  Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Gibb,

Might be able to shed a little light on the paperwork for you, or what worked for me at least. I talked to the nurse at State dept medical and she said she's literally had applicants with medical paperwork sitting on her desk for 2 years. I found a doctor here in San Jose who specialized in physicals for immigrants applying for green cards. This guy was so used to getting physicals done at a high rate of giddy up that it really made things easy. The only thing he couldnt do for me was a stress test EKG, but he referred me to a guy who got it done for me same day. The bottom line is if your primary care physician can't get it done, find a doctor who can. I had to stay on top of them about it but I was able to get everything done in the course of about a week. They aren't going to understand why you need it done, you just have to stress to them that you need it ASAP. Find someone willing to work with you on it. Someone outside of your insurance network will probably give you **** about billing but just keep shoving that billing authorization at them.

As far as any pre-existing health condition my impression is that as long as you can get a doctor to explain in writing how it's minor and doesn't affect your physical readiness you should be fine, just make sure they put that in writing so that the nurse doesn't just see "heart problem" with no explanation.

With the blood work, make sure you fax over the lab reports and not just the state dept form with the blanks filled in. The nurse needs to see what the lab considers a normal range for things like cholesterol blood sugar etc.

Alright, enjoy your paperwork and take it easy.

Comment

Well I got the BI stuff sent off over a week ago and I only have the stress test and eye test left in the medical. So far, so good with the medical stuff, the stress test is the last hurdle as far as that goes. Although I have to get my doctor to fill out some of the forms again due to putting the wrong numbers on the fill-in forms...they marked pass on the hearing test but put 20db in each slot, which would be failing. Then I looked at the typed report and it only showed 15db loss in one ear and 5 in the other, I guess he just got in a hurry filling it out but I surely don't want to get held up due to a paperwork error.

Anyway, I have a question for those in the know. I'm aware that the next BSAC has been put off until FY2008, but does anybody know how far behind they will be on the list by then? In other words will this lapse in BSAC classes cause many folks to get close to the 18 month limit on the register? I'm sure they've been continually putting people on the register even with classes on hold, so I'm wondering how many people might be in a holding pattern. From what I've been told, they only have 4 BSACs a year and a maximum of 24 people per class...so I guess if you're #145 on the register, then the 18 month limit would bite you in the arse. Anybody can shed any light on this?

Gibbmusic

Comment

Last edited by Jaymazik; 10-03-2008, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like we are all 3 (gibb, myself and jaymazik) in the same boat. I got the same reply from HR about 39 currently on the roster, 24 per class. My clearance has been granted and I've been given worlwide medical availability. I'd really like to know where I fall on the roster after the final review panel. One thing I've found, and I won't name any names , is that the individual working in the registrars office is very much LESS than helpful. However HR is still very friendly, as was medical and personnel security.

My understanding is that once you're placed on the actual roster, you have 18 months from that date before you're removed from the roster. Does anyone know if this is the case, or if it's simply 18 months out from when you interviewed, or when you initially applied?

I'm trying to squeeze airborne school in before I start with DSS, I'm sure with my luck I'll get some critical phone call at home from HR while I'm flailing out of the back of a C-130.

Comment

I didn't receive the 39 people on the register, but I got another email that gives once a reason to keep in touch with DSS HR. This past Friday, I received an email follow up to my security clearance...seems that even the paperwork and FedEx was received over three weeks ago, someone forgot to actually assign it to an investigator. The DSS HR individual caught this and advised me of what had happened. I applaud the honesty! None the less, just a point to touch base with them during the process. I don't mean every week or day, but every three weeks or so until you are placed on the register.

My medical has been done for over two weeks, no issues (easy when you're here in DC); however, having already been in the foreign service they were a bit confused about the need to do a "pre-employment" medical. Anyhow all was fine.

So far a smooth and easy process! I'm looking forward to the upcoming class (whenever it may start)!

Good luck to everyone else out there!
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. T E Lawrence

Comment

Can somebody shoot me a PM with the name and number I should call in regards to questions about background? I was given a conditional offer by phone and never received a hard copy letter regarding that. I'll probably call next week sometime and see if I've been assigned to an investigator since I mailed it off 3 weeks ago.

Thanks and continued good luck to all,
                              Gibbmusic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5672 users online. 341 members and 5331 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X