X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pursu4nt
    started a topic LE Park Ranger

LE Park Ranger

What is the pathway to a career as a LE Park Ranger? This is a career path that highly interests me but in my research I haven't found a clear explanation on the path to become this kind of Park Ranger. I am looking for a permanent position. Would that only be federal or are there permanent state and local jobs as well? Is being with the NPS worth it?

I've looked up these gigs on indeed in different locations to get an idea, and some say you have to have at least 1 year LE experience. What would count as LE experience?

I have no law enforcement experience, just AA degree in criminal justice and will have my bachelor's soon. I am an EMT and currently working as one and have a couple years experience under my belt. Which I know some gigs want you to have this certification. If any current or former LE Park Rangers could help I appreciate it.

• newguy1234
    commented on 's reply
    That is nuts. I’ve heard about people going through different academies through their careers but 2 years worth? Lol that’s awesome or crazy depending on the perspective. I was going to IM you because I was interested in seeing which ones you went through, etc, but you aren’t accepting IMs.

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    Or testament to my inability to keep a job lol.....

Seriously though- it is a bit nuts to consider how much time I've spent in training. The academies ranged from 8 weeks to six months. In total, they add up to 102 weeks, or 25 months. That's over two years of self-induced misery as the law of diminishing returns definitely has an effect.... how many times can you go through the same exercises, the same tests, etc. before it's no longer fun??

But, as anyone who bumped about during their career, for whatever reasons (bored. bad boss. better pay. better location. better whatever) will tell you, multiple academies is not that uncommon.....

• newguy1234
    commented on 's reply
    Five academies? That may be a record.

• hawaiitexas
    commented on 's reply
    I would suggest posting this question in the forum for the state you are asking about, this thread is talking about Federal Rangers.

• VC805
    replied
    Anyone taking the State Park Peace Officer (Ranger Cadet) PAT next month?

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Damn Yankees...

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    I wanted to be an NPS LE Ranger at Gettysburg... but it never panned out

Leave a comment:

• hangman
    commented on 's reply
    CITP counts if you are applying for a Special Agent gig with NPS. If you want to be an LE ranger, it doesn't. I read through the 2015 memo that states which DHS FLETC academies NPS will accept for a Type II commission. BIA Police Academy and UPTP with three yrs of experience....That's it. Sure you can always apply for a waiver, but who knows what the NPS LESES Chief or the DCOP will approve.

• hangman
    commented on 's reply
    He probably doesn't want to accept reality.....

• battlewagon
    commented on 's reply
    I'm only interested through a connection at a park that would land a permanent 9 out the gate. I'll never give up my 6c or retirement clock. And I would only do it if I get fully waived through like hawaiitexas mentioned; just the 1-2 week Ranger RPBTP + FTEP.

Anything less than avoiding FLETC with a waiver and a permanent is a no-go for me, since it isn't like I am desperately trying to leave where I am at. I'm currently in my choice 1811 gig in a scenic OCONUS location.

• hawaiitexas
    commented on 's reply
    Most come up through the NPS, I don't think I have met one that lateraled into NPS, though I'm sure there are some. You can detail over to NPS ISB as an "intern" and if they like you and have a spot they send you to CITP and convert you to an 1811. Also, there are a bunch of HIDTA Rangers that have been to CITP and seem to gravitate towards the 1811 jobs.
    Last edited by hawaiitexas; 08-24-2018, 05:06 PM.

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    What is your guess as to the percentage of NPS 1811s who lateraled from another agency vs. percentage that rose up the NPS ranks??

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    Two big western parks and one national lakeshore.

• hawaiitexas
    commented on 's reply
    NPS SA's hiring sadly has a nepotism problem, jobs seem to get handed down.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10637 users online. 476 members and 10161 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X