• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawaiitexas
    replied
    Here are some links to check out:
    http://www.anpr.org/Seasonal-Law-Enf...aining-Program
    http://www.southwesterncc.edu/pstc/l...rk-service-nps

The second link is to the seasonal academy I recommend, it is very cost effective. If you are serious about this, you will want to apply early as seats can be hard to come by. You are going to have to put yourself through a seasonal academy as direct hires are super rare and usually are associated with a big push to hire Rangers for Border parks.
    Last edited by hawaiitexas; 08-23-2018, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hawaiitexas
    commented on 's reply
    Ratatatat makes some good points but I disagree with a few, mainly that you get "stuck" somewhere. The NPS doesn't make you work anywhere, you can lateral or apply to any open position. If you are "stuck" somewhere you are just an idiot. People that are at boring historic sites are there because that's what they want.

• RGDS
    replied
    Check out the East Bay Regional Park Police. They are a local parks district in California.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    And another thing: many who go NPS have dreams of working at one of the jewels, like Yellowstone or Grand Canyon or Smoky Mountains. The reality though is many people get stuck at urban parks like Fire Island National Seashore in NYC or boring little historic parks like Herbert Hoover Natl. Historic Site in Iowa where nothing ever happens. Or Oklahoma City Natl Memorial (what a joy that must be to go to work every day, eh?). Or parks where people go to get poo-faced drunk, like Cape Hatteras or Padre Island. Like that great modern philosopher Flavor Flav says: Don't believe the hype.
    Last edited by Ratatatat; 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM.

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    Based on your previous postings, I think I know what agency you're with.

Stay put. The low dirty truth is the grass isn't greener elsewhere, and jumping ship may be a step backward, not forward.

Think about things like your TSP, and the difference between GS13 contributions vs. GS9 contributions over 20 years. About possible mandatory housing, much of which is old, small and bug-ridden, and the frequent intrusions into your personal life from lost tourists or campers angry about their neighbors. About working for an agency in a department with very conflicted views about LE.

Some people love the ranger life. God bless them. But I know more than a few who deeply regret their career decision but are too old, too immersed, too stubborn to do anything else....

• battlewagon
    commented on 's reply
    And here I am considering walking away from a 13 1811 for NPS. Your truth cuts me deep sir

• CCCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

So are a lot of people....

This is perhaps somewhat dated information, but this is how it works:

Pay your way through a seasonal academy. Pay your dues working several summers at GS-5 wages. Seasonal LE jobs at big western parks are fairly easy to get in the summer, and you can try getting a gig at a park with a winter season (Everglades, Virgin Islands, etc.) but all those other seasonals are looking for winter jobs too so it's not so easy (and why many seasonals do something else in the winter, like ski patrol, or just collect unemployment). This will likely go on for several years, so don't be in a yank to get married and settle down.

Eventually you will get enough experience to become competitive when an 'all sources' job opens at one of the less desired parks, like the Liberty Bell, the St. Louis arch, etc.

A couple of years later, you'll finally get to attend FLETC, which will be huge, because LE rangers who haven't been to FLETC are kinda treated like lesser beings by LE rangers who have been to FLETC.

Eventually, if stars align and the Gods favor you, you'll end up at a destination park, one of the majestic crown jewels of the park system like Grand Teton, Glacier, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, etc. Odds are good you will spend your career as a GS-9, and have to live in substandard gov housing, never building home equity. You will spend much of your career dealing with dumb tourists who do dumb things, like park their car in the middle of a highway so they can take a selfie with a moose.

My advice? Go be a seasonal danger ranger for two or three seasons. Only possess what you can fit in the back of a pick up truck. Be awesome at being awesome in some sun-kissed spectacular corner of America. Learn how to whitewater kayak, technical rock climb, fight fires, and go exploring hidden gems like Craters of the Moon National Park, Idaho, or John Day Fossil Beds, Oregon.

But have a back up plan for the long term, because the day may come when you realize that pretty sunsets don't pay for a $40K new truck, and your wife will want to live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and a GS-13 1811 doesn't have to deal with dumb tourists, day after day.....
    This should be a sticky.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    I am looking for a permanent position

So are a lot of people....

This is perhaps somewhat dated information, but this is how it works:

Pay your way through a seasonal academy. Pay your dues working several summers at GS-5 wages. Seasonal LE jobs at big western parks are fairly easy to get in the summer, and you can try getting a gig at a park with a winter season (Everglades, Virgin Islands, etc.) but all those other seasonals are looking for winter jobs too so it's not so easy (and why many seasonals do something else in the winter, like ski patrol, or just collect unemployment). This will likely go on for several years, so don't be in a yank to get married and settle down.

Eventually you will get enough experience to become competitive when an 'all sources' job opens at one of the less desired parks, like the Liberty Bell, the St. Louis arch, etc.

A couple of years later, you'll finally get to attend FLETC, which will be huge, because LE rangers who haven't been to FLETC are kinda treated like lesser beings by LE rangers who have been to FLETC.

Eventually, if stars align and the Gods favor you, you'll end up at a destination park, one of the majestic crown jewels of the park system like Grand Teton, Glacier, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, etc. Odds are good you will spend your career as a GS-9, and have to live in substandard gov housing, never building home equity. You will spend much of your career dealing with dumb tourists who do dumb things, like park their car in the middle of a highway so they can take a selfie with a moose.

My advice? Go be a seasonal danger ranger for two or three seasons. Only possess what you can fit in the back of a pick up truck. Be awesome at being awesome in some sun-kissed spectacular corner of America. Learn how to whitewater kayak, technical rock climb, fight fires, and go exploring hidden gems like Craters of the Moon National Park, Idaho, or John Day Fossil Beds, Oregon.

But have a back up plan for the long term, because the day may come when you realize that pretty sunsets don't pay for a $40K new truck, and your wife will want to live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and a GS-13 1811 doesn't have to deal with dumb tourists, day after day.....

Leave a comment:

• wildstar82
    replied
    You would have to attend one of these

http://www.mysvc.skagit.edu/director...pagenumber=398

and pay your own way. Being an EMT is huge. Finish the academy and get a seasonal NPS LE gig. Apply for a bunch of them and be willing to go anywhere. Work 6mos at one park and then get another gig somewhere else. Build your experience toward a permanent gig after a few years.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    With NPS, you will probably have to pay your way through the NPS level 2 academy in order to get picked up seasonally and then trying for a full time spot unless you're willing to work at an urban park.

Leave a comment:

• Pursu4nt
    started a topic LE Park Ranger

LE Park Ranger

What is the pathway to a career as a LE Park Ranger? This is a career path that highly interests me but in my research I haven't found a clear explanation on the path to become this kind of Park Ranger. I am looking for a permanent position. Would that only be federal or are there permanent state and local jobs as well? Is being with the NPS worth it?

I've looked up these gigs on indeed in different locations to get an idea, and some say you have to have at least 1 year LE experience. What would count as LE experience?

I have no law enforcement experience, just AA degree in criminal justice and will have my bachelor's soon. I am an EMT and currently working as one and have a couple years experience under my belt. Which I know some gigs want you to have this certification. If any current or former LE Park Rangers could help I appreciate it.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7082 users online. 305 members and 6777 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X