300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Applying

First police application and I already messed up. I did a lot of homework on what to expect and what things could disqualify me based on how I present myself. I have presented my best self with the application and was honest, and I aced the first interview. But I made a mistake by not finding a needed document in time. They handed me a list of things they needed, including my divorce decree but I could not find it for the life of me.

Tonight I was to go in and be re fingerprinted because the investigation bureua didn't accept it. I was to go in also with addresses to my references and needed documents. Well I have everything except the divorce decree. So I called them saying I won't come in because I honestly couldn't find my divorce decree. And I said I'm removing myself from the application process, though I hate to do that, if it means being disqualified later, because I failed to get all the documents I was supposed to get. The secretary said she didn't know what to do so I told her when they find out they can reach me Monday or tomorrow whichever works.

Guess I ruined my chances of a law enforcement career. I spent so many years pursuing one. College degree, pursuing my bachelor's currently, photographer, training in human trafficking, police internship experience, I'm also an EMT. All for what. I know I could have all the training in the world, but if I can't even do this then they could hire someone else, someone with less experience.

I'm very passionate about this, but there's a lot I don't understand about the police application process. Until, knowing my luck, it's too late.

It sounds like you gave up to easily. Go to the county courthouse or wherever and request a copy of the divorce decree. You might be hosed this time but you will have it for the next time.

Comment

This did not need to result in you removing yourself from the hiring process, imo. Not entirely sure what's up with that, but at least you know what you need to do for the next go 'round. I guess?

Comment

Being too hard on myself is my greatest weakness. Which I also mentioned as my answer to the what's your greatest weakness question. Haha. I expect my best in everything I do and have become better at it. Gotta keep on striving... Ugh. I realized I could have hosed myself for trying to avoid getting hosed. What do you think I could have done better?

Comment

• KJB
          KJB commented
          Editing a comment
          I would have explained that you didn't have a copy of the decree but told them you were working on getting it as fast as possible.

Whoa man... take a few deep breaths. I know a few people that TURNED DOWN 1811 offers because it wasn’t in the DOJ. Before they knew it, they aged out and are regretting it while they patrol in the middle of nowhere and wonder what could have been.

Buck up. Relax. Get that divorce decree and reapply. Don’t freeze up when the heat is turned up a little bit and start to implode. You’re self-aware enough and humble enough to admit that you made a mistake, now, take that mistake and kill the next application!

Comment

• @ KJB commented
            • Yesterday, 09:57 PM
            • I would have explained that you didn't have a copy of the decree but told them you were working on getting it as fast as possible.
          Should I go to the department today and turn in the docs I have and be re fingerprinted, saying I'm working on getting it? I just know they are allowed a certain amount of time for processing and doing the BI.

Comment

• KJB
            KJB commented
            Editing a comment
            Couldn't hurt.

+1 to what everyone else said, along with a few other things.

You're already setting a bad precedence and developing a poor reputation by applying, interviewing, quitting during the process, then possibly calling back and attempting to un-quit. You don't want the HR or possible future supervisors to already have problems with you before you've even been hired. Finding paperwork isn't a problem - being inconsistent is.

Were all the major necessary documents not outlined in the announcement? Were you given an unreasonable amount of time to submit the supporting documents? Things like divorce decrees (transcripts, etc) often aren't immediately needed and simply have to be provided before you complete the entire process and start training.

How did you "ruin your law enforcement career?" Did you not disclose a felony or something? I applied for an 1811 position that takes, on average, two years from the application date to the start of training. There's been guys who have removed themselves while on the training class wait list (after a 12-16 month application process), re-applied later, did the entire process again and took the position. Removing yourself from the process doesn't hurt your chances of applying in the future.

You seem very flustered by this very slight setback in your long-term goal of being a LEO. Are you sure you want to be a cop? I hope this doesn't come as a shock, but the job you're applying for is phenomenally more difficult than the application process for that job...

Comment

Co0311

Thanks for that information. No shock. Don't have any felonies or misdemeanors.
            It's like a big test to me and I have test anxiety. Though I can see myself as a cop and others saying I should, I see myself more as a Park Ranger. And to get to the federal park ranger level you have to have at least 1 year LE experience. The only entry level LE experience I can think getting for someone with no LE experience is cop. I am still researching on Homeland Security too and what their preferences are.

So no bueno on this position then, since I already did what I did.
            Last edited by Pursu4nt; 08-04-2018, 04:04 PM. Reason: Added: No shock. Don't have any felonies or misdemeanors.

Comment

• Schwook
              Schwook commented
              Editing a comment
              I would say that getting to be a full time park ranger with law enforcement powers is one of the hardest jobs to get anywhere. At least at the federal level. Now regular 0083 gigs that don’t require certs and a specialized field of knowledge may be a different story. Just apply at CBP, see if that’s your thing. It’s a tough job that doesn’t require a ton of experience off the bat. Be warned, the Border Patrol Academy isn’t for the meek.

Just finished my illegal immigration class. Very interesting. Also thought of police reserves. I just landed an internship opportunity with the NPS. Hmm good thing this police gig I was pursuing didn't work out I guess. Things happen for a reason. I'm seasoned in that department. God works in mysterious ways.

Schwook
            What do you mean by 0083 gigs? I've done research on that but never found or heard of it. Is that a non-federal LEO Park Ranger gig?

Comment

• J2H
              J2H commented
              Editing a comment
              0083 is the series code for Police Officer

• KJB
              KJB commented
              Editing a comment
              VA Police, BIA Police, DOD Police, etc.
              0082 is US Marshal, 1811 is Criminal Investigator, I think 1801 is Park Ranger but it is also Deportation Officer.

Okay. What I mean is, are there federal and NON federal LE park park ranger positions? Well I guess I'll be finding out during my internship. I'd like to mention that I have extensive experience in working with survivors of human trafficking & sexual/domestic violence. That other than my experience as an EMT which I am currently, is the most experience I have in. Also a photographer. Just some other passions.

I guess I'm just trying to find that job category or title I could fulfill with my specific experience, training & education.

Comment

^^^^ Yes. There are Fed Park Ranger spots and State/Local Park Ranger spots. Each can have full police officer powers.
              Last edited by RGDS; 08-19-2018, 12:15 AM.
              semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Pursu4nt View Post
                First police application and I already messed up. I did a lot of homework on what to expect and what things could disqualify me based on how I present myself. I have presented my best self with the application and was honest, and I aced the first interview. But I made a mistake by not finding a needed document in time. They handed me a list of things they needed, including my divorce decree but I could not find it for the life of me.

Tonight I was to go in and be re fingerprinted because the investigation bureua didn't accept it. I was to go in also with addresses to my references and needed documents. Well I have everything except the divorce decree. So I called them saying I won't come in because I honestly couldn't find my divorce decree. And I said I'm removing myself from the application process, though I hate to do that, if it means being disqualified later, because I failed to get all the documents I was supposed to get. The secretary said she didn't know what to do so I told her when they find out they can reach me Monday or tomorrow whichever works.

Guess I ruined my chances of a law enforcement career. I spent so many years pursuing one. College degree, pursuing my bachelor's currently, photographer, training in human trafficking, police internship experience, I'm also an EMT. All for what. I know I could have all the training in the world, but if I can't even do this then they could hire someone else, someone with less experience.

I'm very passionate about this, but there's a lot I don't understand about the police application process. Until, knowing my luck, it's too late.
                There’s something I’d like you to think about.

In police work, the problems we address are not always clearly cut and we don’t always deal with black and white issues. Much of what we handle falls into gray areas, and you quickly lean that no set of rules or laws can be written so thoroughly as to address every possible contingency. As cops, we have to be flexible, be able to think outside the box and come up with solutions to problems that sometimes defy the norm.

Now, let’s look at your situation. A copy of your divorce decree was required but you couldn’t find it. What were your options to resolve this issue? You could have applied for a duplicate. If it didn’t arrive in time, when you could have gone in and submitted what you had along with a notation indicating your original divorce decree was missing, that you’ve applied for a duplicate and will submit it as soon as it arrives. The worst that could happen is that they reject you for lack of documentation (which would have been very unlikely).

Instead of working in the gray area, you saw everything in black and white, withdrew from the process and decided any career you had in law enforcement is over. This suggests you lack the ability to use logic and reasoning to identify alternative approaches to problems and when that happens, you quit. Critical thinking is an essential skill for a police officer and your conduct in this event strongly suggests you are severely lacking in this area. Were I to be your BI at an agency you apply with in the future, this would be a huge red flag and if I didn’t find grounds to DQ you in the background, I would make sure the psychologist was aware of this issue and addresses it in the psych exam.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Pursu4nt View Post

So you didn't get one job you applied to, due to your own fault, and now you're crying about it to the internet, without asking any actual questions on how to do better next time?

Do you know how many 1811 spots or local PDs some people apply to that are beyond qualified that don't get the job due to factors beyond their control (as opposed to errors they committed on their own like you)? I know guys who applied to a dozen before getting one. And yet here you are crying about not getting your first job application, which to emphasize again, is your own fault due to not having paperwork.

What are you going to do when you finally get your first LE job offer, quit your current job, put your house on the market, sign a lease in the new location, and then have the job offer yanked out from under you due to budget issues? If you can't take not getting a job, you won't be able to take that, and sure as hell can't take the ups and downs of a law enforcement career.

I'd say a decent amount of people on here know me as someone who gives pretty good advice in the areas I have experience in, including prepping guys and gals for interviews via PMs, texting and calling guys who want to ask in depth questions about agencies I've been with. That being said, i'm capable of being a hardass to BS like this post. If you wanted to post your disappointment in how this went as a 'vent' post, that's one thing (but also the wrong place to do it), but instead you're just whining and hoping people say encouraging things. Mods please delete this off topic crap.
                  Last edited by battlewagon; 08-19-2018, 04:51 PM.
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10118 users online. 334 members and 9784 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X