300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• References

I just applied and interviewed for police officer. They asked for 3 professional references with their addresses. So I thought of 3 good ones but only got one address. I haven't heard from the other 2 but I found out 1 just got out of surgery and is out of the office and the other 1 is out of the office too and they're not sure when he's coming back. (Was my old criminal justice instructor) The other reference who was in surgery is the volunteer coordinator at a women and children shelter I volunteered at.

As a backup I got an extra reference with their address that I didn't write down. I'm trying to think of another backup reference. I've thought of every professional reference I could think of, pastor (I haven't been going to the church for a while & he hardly knows me, no way of contacting him either), old college art instructor, another work reference that I haven't heard back from. Not to mention I need these ASAP.

Do you think I should try going back and asking them if I could replace 2 of my references? What should I do to get another professional reference?

My questions as a cop recruiting you: “How well do these references know him if he doesn’t even know when they’re having major surgery?

Why didn’t he verify their availability before submitting them as references?

Why aren’t his references motivated to help him to get this job?”

Comment

• CSUAlum
      CSUAlum commented
      Editing a comment
      Why would I tell a former co-worker if I'm getting surgery? Plenty of people I've worked with for years could vouch for me professionally, and I would never think to reach out and let them know I was in the hospital or something. That's weird.
      I've also had a supervisor tell me I could use them as a reference and then ignore the investigator. Sometimes people just bail out over time. It's just part of the biz.

• Schwook
      Schwook commented
      Editing a comment
      If you were to use that person as a reference, why wouldn't you stay in touch with them? I don't understand this casual approach to getting people to give your a character reference. It should never be a roll of the dice.

• CSUAlum
      CSUAlum commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I don't take them lightly, but it's a professional reference. I could probably give you 10 off the top of my head that I could use that I haven't talked to in forever.

Fairly recently I had a PD call me for a for a guy I haven't talked to in years. I gave him a stellar review because he was a stellar employee when he worked for me. Couldn't tell you what he's up to now. Just told them what I knew when he worked for me.

I don't think it would hurt to ask to add to your references. I spent a lot of time working overseas and some of those guys are hard to nail down. One of my buddies that I worked with on a team for years has always been one of my references and lately he's been all over the world. Investigators run into it all the time.

Comment

• Schwook
      Schwook commented
      Editing a comment
      Now this, I understand.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5740 users online. 201 members and 5539 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X