300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pushups

Anyone who has taken a physical fitness test anywhere, are you supposed to keep your head up and looking forward when doing pushups? I was reading the DEA physical fitness booklet and it says "subject is looking straight ahead"

(http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/job/agent/pdf/PTTBooklet.pdf
    page 26)

The reason I ask is because it's easier for me to just let my head loose rather than to keep it stiff and "looking forward" when doing pushups. Anybody know if this is allowed?

Since the book says you must look straight ahead and the picture shows the person looking straight ahead, my guess is you need to look straight ahead. On a side note I always make the training for tests harder than the test is going to be. By taking this approach, I limit the possibility that having a bad day or the test is harder than it appears causing my failure. When I tested for Michigan State Police it was common knowledge the proctors would score extremely strict on the pushups, so instead of aiming for the minimum I aimed to 20 over expecting some to be thrown out. I also used books to allow me to go down farther making each rep take longer and use more muscle.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

If you look straight ahead it helds keep your body straight. I am not sure how strict they are on grading the pushups, but some agencies will only count a push-up if the form is proper. Meaning that the upper body and legs stay straight and move as one unit. If you know anyone who was in the military I guarantee you they can show you a proper push-up. The previous poster gave good advice, don't shoot for the minimum shoot for a much higher number of push-ups. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kc12
        Since the book says you must look straight ahead and the picture shows the person looking straight ahead, my guess is you need to look straight ahead. On a side note I always make the training for tests harder than the test is going to be. By taking this approach, I limit the possibility that having a bad day or the test is harder than it appears causing my failure. When I tested for Michigan State Police it was common knowledge the proctors would score extremely strict on the pushups, so instead of aiming for the minimum I aimed to 20 over expecting some to be thrown out. I also used books to allow me to go down farther making each rep take longer and use more muscle.
        Exactly! Pushups to the fist or they don't count.

Comment

When I have taken pushup test in NY, they have used fists. What I have never agreed with is if you have a woman that is 5'5 grading the test compared to a man that 6'5 there is a difference in fist sizes.
          IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
          -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

Originally posted by VACOP1
            When I have taken pushup test in NY, they have used fists. What I have never agreed with is if you have a woman that is 5'5 grading the test compared to a man that 6'5 there is a difference in fist sizes.
            Does the difference of an inch or two really mean that much to you?

Comment

The FAMS weren't very strict with mine. And instead of a fist they used this Accordion type pump thing that you use to pump up exercise balls.

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath
                Does the difference of an inch or two really mean that much to you?
                yes. If it means the difference between passing and failing yes. o rthe differnce between me getting a job. yes i am old and fat
                Last edited by VACOP1; 04-13-2007, 09:51 PM.
                IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

Originally posted by VACOP1
                  yes. If it means the difference between passing and failing yes. o rthe differnce between me getting a job. yes i am old and fat
                  Ok, well then I concur. Otherwise, girlie push-ups!

Comment

Originally posted by kc12
                    On a side note I always make the training for tests harder than the test is going to be. By taking this approach, I limit the possibility that having a bad day or the test is harder than it appears causing my failure.
                    DEA is VERY strict in their PT test scoring. I suggest anyone applying there take the advice above and train not just to pass, but to pass by a very healthy margin. Heck that's good advice regardless of where you apply.

Often people do not score as well on the actual test as they do in practice due to the protocols being so strictly enforced. This could cost you a spot at the academy, or worse yet if you squeak through the PT test during your application, but have a bad day at the academy it could cost you your new job.

As for the pushups, you can read what the protocol is and be ready to following it EXACTLY, including keeping your head up. I suggest training to touch your chest to the ground. Then on test day you won't have to go down as far and the pushups will seem much easier due to the few inches difference. Those last three or four inches make it much harder to pushup due to body mechanics, and if you train to blow the test out of the water going all the way down, those few inches can really make a difference on test day.

I also strongly suggest periodically giving yourself the actual test. Meaning do all the events in order, in the specified times. Doing all those events back to back with little time between events, especially with the run at the end, is often more challenging than most people realize if they've never done it before. You may have a decent two mile run time now, but how often have you done pushups, pullups, situps, and a sprint before you ran two miles?

Another training tip, is to set a goal pace for your run, and train to run at least an additional 50% of distance at that pace. For example DEA has a two mile run, so train to run at least 3 miles at your goal pace. If you want to do the 2 mile run in 14 minutes, then at least train to run 3 miles in 21 minutes. On test day that will mean 2 miles will seem easy.

Many agencies, DEA included, lose applicants due to poor PT test scores, and then lose trainees at the academy due to poor PT test scores. Your physical fitness is the one thing in the whole process you have absolute control over, so train seriously (including not over doing it and getting injured), because if you don't kick butt in PT there is no one to blame but yourself.

BTW, if pushups are an issue for you, a friend of mine sent me this workout routine a couple months ago and it really works: http://www.military.com/Opinions/0,,...082405,00.html

He's got a similar plan for pullups: http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,114660,00.html

Good luck.

Comment

thanks everyone, i understand now

Comment

SA13 is on the mark when he said DEA is strict about the PT test. I can remember the agent that gave the test repeat a number like four times until the guy went all the way down on the pushups. The pullups are the ones that get BATS kicked out the most. DEA does them with your palms facing away from you.

Comment

Keep in mind, too, that the agents who usually end up in the physical training unit, are pretty much always fitness nuts, and have little patience for anyone who isn't. They are ridiculously serious about the protocols, even to the point where pretty much everyone else in DEA thinks they go too far.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6821 users online. 363 members and 6458 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X