Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI629
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, former boss was an @$$. Dunno how he’s still in business.

• dawoobie
    replied
    I don't suspect most employers are similar to mine but I haven't had any issues with getting time off. They have known about the process since I first filled out the application for BPA. It has gotten to the point where they actually ask me if there are any days I need off before they put out the next schedule. In my experience, I find it a lot easier to be up front and honest. It may also help that I have been at my current job for 8+ years.

Leave a comment:

• Schwook
    commented on 's reply
    Literally illegal to fire someone for serving their country. That kid's boss is a ******.

• 221bBaker
    commented on 's reply
    HI629 - sounds like your mentee's former employer committed a serious USERRA violation. But good on the kid for making the best of it!

• HI629
    commented on 's reply
    Lots of ways to make fast cash on the up and up. A kid I’m mentoring just got canned for joining the military. He went to give his boss notice because he ships in 3 months, yet the boss told him his services were no longer needed and took him off of the schedule. I thought it was pretty cool that he was giving the boss 3 months to find a suitable replacement. Guess I was wrong.

Kid didn’t freak or mope around. He signed up to drive for Lyft and Uber. He clears $200 a day, gets paid weekly, or can cash out daily for a small fee. Glad he was able to find a new source of income on such a short notice! More free time, make your own hours, AND making more than when he had to for his former employer.

• HI629
    replied
    Oops! post.
    Last edited by HI629; 08-03-2018, 05:38 PM. Reason: Meant to leave a comment, posted a reply instead.

Leave a comment:

• Schwook
    commented on 's reply
    If you get fired for applying to be a federal investigator, your boss was waiting to stab you in the back anyway.

• Kmiech
    commented on 's reply
    Except then you’re unemployed and can’t pay your bills.

• BTDT2
    replied
    Originally posted by HI629 View Post

Tell ‘um you have a secret identity and secret life as a superhero. Let him know that you sometimes need days off to recover from the time you spend saving the world.

If he asks what superhero, tell him “[email protected]$$” or something catchy. Gotta make the story really juicy as to ensure that the boss wont’ get ******ed.

Another option, go tell the boss that you are currently considering working in LE and are in the hiring process, so days off are needed to complete certain portions of the hiring process. If he cans you the next day, let your recruiter and BI know you got canned for applying to be a cop. It will show you’re dedicated to the job and not afraid of being totally and completely truthful with people despite the possibility of adverse circumstances.
    Agree 110% with HI629

Leave a comment:

• MP-K-9
    replied
    As some have stated. Days off or prior, after your current shift. If not, take off. You will have to tell them at some point as to the BI.

Leave a comment:

• CSUAlum
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah this is spot on... it really depends on who you work for and how they feel about you leaving. I’ve been able to schedule most stuff on days off and swap shifts as well. Only used leave once or twice.

• HI629
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post

You guys aren’t answering my question. All I want to know is what you’re telling your employer when you need those days off for the hiring process.
    Tell ‘um you have a secret identity and secret life as a superhero. Let him know that you sometimes need days off to recover from the time you spend saving the world.

If he asks what superhero, tell him “[email protected]$$” or something catchy. Gotta make the story really juicy as to ensure that the boss wont’ get ******ed.

Another option, go tell the boss that you are currently considering working in LE and are in the hiring process, so days off are needed to complete certain portions of the hiring process. If he cans you the next day, let your recruiter and BI know you got canned for applying to be a cop. It will show you’re dedicated to the job and not afraid of being totally and completely truthful with people despite the possibility of adverse circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Camelbak
    replied
    It depends on the rapport you have with your supervisor. My supervisor is cool and he kind of knew I was going to leave; it was just a matter of time. I’d always try to schedule my appointments on my days off. If not I’d just straight up tell him, I’d like to use leave on this day(s) so I can do whatever with this agency. Most of the time he would or he’d just switch my off days. If he couldn’t, he’d hint at me using sick leave. He said you do what you need to do.

Leave a comment:

• Schwook
    commented on 's reply
    To my knowledge, it's none of their business why you're out. As long you're using your personal days in accordance with their company guidelines, I don't see the rub.

• orangebottle
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post

You guys aren’t answering my question. All I want to know is what you’re telling your employer when you need those days off for the hiring process.
    Sorry.

ME: Hey, Boss, I'll be out next Tuesday.

BOSS: M'kay.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8981 users online. 422 members and 8559 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X