300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backgrounds!?

Hello everyone, i am in need of advice. I am currently in the background process with BERKELEY POLICE and i'm pretty nervous of the outcome. Only thing in my past was Citations for No insurance or registration (3 of them), and also was sent to collections during the same time, let me remind you this happened in early 2016 and i have not been late on any payments or received a citation in 2 years, i'm afraid this might be a conflict. My interviews went great both Oral and 1 on 1 interview with the hiring Sergeant, she advised i was the first interview since i scored the highest on the Oral Board, she asked me about these issues and told her nothing but the truth and why i was put in that situation. We filled out uniform and Academy Costs that may come out of pocket, and filled out lots of other paperwork, does this mean my foot is more in the door than it is out?
    any advice to all experienced personnel?

So, two years ago, you were issued a citation for failure to insure and register your vehicle three separate times, and that fine was sent to collections? Is this correct?

Comment

• CMANNY
      CMANNY commented
      Editing a comment
      exactly sent to the collections agency that the courts sent this to, i have never missed a payment in these fees, if so i would have gotten my license suspended.

So i'm not asking you to disclose your personal business on this forum, but I've run application packages for my agency and this would definitely flag as a suitability issue for me... so it comes down to the why. If I were reviewing your packages and saw that 2 years ago you simply refused to register and insure your vehicle, i'd pass on you. If every thing else in your background looked good and you had a logical reason, like you were deployed, you got divorced and someone else had possession of the vehicle, admin error, ect.... i'd give you a go. We lack a lot of context here but if this was disclosed early and you already had 2 interviews I would say things look good. I would also say your honesty about the situation may give you some checks in the integrity column depending on who is looking at your package.

Comment

• Schwook
      Schwook commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. Sometimes life doesn't line up perfectly, but, perhaps your reason would be enough for the brass to look past them. However, life stability does factor into the selection process at some departments. If, for example, they see you can't meet financial commitments and you've been moving around a lot over the last few years, no matter what the reason, that doesn't bode well to having a young cop totally focused on their job day after day. Just my 2 cents. Golly may have more insight.

• Gollywompas
      Gollywompas commented
      Editing a comment
      Somehow I knew there was more to the situation than laziness/ disregard for the law. All of what you just said is easily verifiable and I would not hold it against you if you did not have the means to register and insure the vehicle. Furthermore, If I were running your package I would look favorably on your ability to overcome such hardships and the life experience you gained. Going through that has given you a way to connect with some of the people you will encounter in law enforcement, and maybe some much needed compassion for de-escalating situations. I also think it shows great character, but again that is how I would look at it, this agency may see it differently especially if the violations occurred within their jurisdiction. Some agencies only want boyscouts, others like me believe people with a little life experience make better cops. just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

• Gollywompas
      Gollywompas commented
      Editing a comment
      Schwook also makes a great point, I am assuming based on your responses that you have indeed overcome this situation and have your ducks in a row. If you are still struggling to meet financial commitments and the hiring agency believes you will continue to struggle with your initial salary they may elect not to hire you on those grounds. We have declined people in the past for excessive debt and irresponsibility. However, based on your response I assumed this is not the case with you at the moment, just something else to consider.

• CMANNY
      CMANNY commented
      Editing a comment
      i thank you guys so much for your time. First time I've gotten this far to that final interview, currently under backgrounds with 3 different departments so ill see how each department does backgrounds and see what they target the most, and yes all ducks in a row, my life has been much better and have been on a great path with no other issues.

If you articulated the circumstances in depth and in detail as you earlier explained here, there’s a good chance that the Sergeant may have been able to justify your circumstances. Hang tight and never jeopardize your integrity.

Comment

• CMANNY
      CMANNY commented
      Editing a comment
      Of Course, she had my PHS in her hand going through it and asking me questions about these situations,
      ive had these conversations with her at my Physical Ability test, Written Test, and Oral Board so im sure her and i have a better connection than other candidates.
      The last thing i want is them to find out something that i did not disclose, i rather be not chosen in the process for my honesty than being DQ'd

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7347 users online. 228 members and 7119 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X