Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal law enforcement agencies that will hire straight out of college?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal law enforcement agencies that will hire straight out of college?

I have around 2 years of office work experience, I have a BA in Sociology and Business from University of Colorado Boulder and I will be getting my MBA from Regis University in Denver in December. I want to get on with a federal law enforcement agency however I keep getting denied. I was denied by the FBI (SA), DEA (SA) and ICE (Criminal Investigator) just from my application.

Is there any agencies that I should look into? Or how can I get my foot in the door?

Go do local police work. Try again in a few years. Or look for recent grad announcements.

Comment

USMS, OIG, Fed Wildlife and a few others all do recent grad hiring. Just look for those.

Comment

• silvas006
        silvas006 commented
        Editing a comment
        USMS would be awesome, I emailed them when I was in my last year of undergrad and they said most of their applicants have 10 years + of law enforcement or military experience so I never applied.

• CSUAlum
        CSUAlum commented
        Editing a comment
        always apply regardless of what anyone anywhere tells you. I was sitting waiting for my interview with USMS and one of the guys was a legit recent grad with only minimal office experience. At the very least he got an interview.

Even my position now - I didn't think I would qualify and next thing I knew I was standing in front of the Branch Chief accepting the job.

Join the military get some experience and then apply. Military background opens many doors in the federal LEO world.

Comment

Recent grad posting is your best bet.

Comment

Bpa/Cbp, Capitol Police, and BOP are all worth applying for. There are some DOD openings that hire at a low grade (gs 3 & gs 4) that you would qualify for.

Comment

• Schwook
            Schwook commented
            Editing a comment
            BOP is a GREAT (and simple, no offense to anyone) way to get your foot in the door. Also, the training is very solid.

Local LE, then move once you get time and experience. Or...as was posted above for a Fed spot. Take what’s offered, do the time, then move.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Border Patrol Agent, Customs and Border Protection Officer, Capitol Police, SS Uniformed Division

Comment

• silvas006
              silvas006 commented
              Editing a comment
              Is SS Uniformed Division competitive? I know SS SA is extremely competitive.

• MDPO32
              MDPO32 commented
              Editing a comment
              A lot of good people work for USSS but with how much they’re hiring I’m not sure how highly competitive I’d call it

• OCN_1
              OCN_1 commented
              Editing a comment
              still highly competitive, trust me when I say that. but an awesome foot in the door opportunity nonetheless

SCOTUS police is another good one and they are currently hiring.

Comment

Being fresh out of college and wanting to join federal law enforcement is a tough gig to get. However, there are many who have jumped right from college into an Special Agent position. You have a good degree but maybe you might want to tweak your resume a bit. Also, once you get your masters a lot more doors will open up for you.

Option 1 is join the Bureau of Prisions (BOP), they are always hiring and it will start your LEO retirement time. Just don’t get complacent and keep applying.

Option 2 Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is hiring by the masses right now. You can apply to be an officer at the air and seaport or a border patrol agent. I think this is a better option than BOP

Option 3 apply to any GS 7 Criminal Investigator opening you see. One of them is bound to pull your name out of the hat. However, you stand a better chance working with CBP, BOP, or any fed police agency listed above.

Option 4 join the military and enlist to be a Special Agent with CID (Army), NCIS (Navy), AF-OSI (Air Force), (CGIS) Coast Guard.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time working for state and local law enforcement if your goal is to go federal. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I remember what it was like to be fresh out of college and not know much about federal law enforcement. Took me 8 years after to get my break. Could’ve been sooner with the proper guidance.

Comment

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                I may be wrong, so someone is free to correct me. Currently the Army is the only one to my knowledge letting people enlist as 31D's, if they meet all the requirements. For all the other branches you need to have x number of years of service to apply or manage to get lucky with the civilian openings.

ICE/ERO is another option.

Many agencies will at least minimally accept hires straight out of college. If you're talking of agencies that typically only hire a handful of people and are in high-demand, they usually have the option to be picky and choose who they want from many applicants.

Comment

Look at a gig with AFOSI (Air Force Office of Special Investigations) osi.af.mil, we are always looking for people and take a lot of college grads. Or you could look into an AFOSI commissioning program. The commissioned route will get you Vet preference and "1811" experience if you want to jump ship to your preferred agency after a few years (most OSI agents do) but our civilian agents do well on the outside too. Also, apply everywhere, OIGs, big agencies, small agencies, if they employ criminal investigators apply... you will get there, just takes time, patience, and determination.

Comment

Originally posted by Zman007 View Post
                  Being fresh out of college and wanting to join federal law enforcement is a tough gig to get. However, there are many who have jumped right from college into an Special Agent position. You have a good degree but maybe you might want to tweak your resume a bit. Also, once you get your masters a lot more doors will open up for you.

Option 1 is join the Bureau of Prisions (BOP), they are always hiring and it will start your LEO retirement time. Just don’t get complacent and keep applying.

Option 2 Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is hiring by the masses right now. You can apply to be an officer at the air and seaport or a border patrol agent. I think this is a better option than BOP

Option 3 apply to any GS 7 Criminal Investigator opening you see. One of them is bound to pull your name out of the hat. However, you stand a better chance working with CBP, BOP, or any fed police agency listed above.

Option 4 join the military and enlist to be a Special Agent with CID (Army), NCIS (Navy), AF-OSI (Air Force), (CGIS) Coast Guard.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time working for state and local law enforcement if your goal is to go federal. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I remember what it was like to be fresh out of college and not know much about federal law enforcement. Took me 8 years after to get my break. Could’ve been sooner with the proper guidance.
                  I will address the above post option by option...

Option 1 BOP - would be a last resort or only if I really needed a job ASAP. Less than desirable environment. Low pay when compared with other Federal LEAs.

Option 2 CBP - OFO and BP are probably the best options out the gate. Offer very good pay and and solid job experience (especially BP).

Option 3 CI (1811) - would be the most desirable but openings are limited and competition is fierce for the few openings. Very few entry level announcements.

Option 4 - Since you do not have a CJ degree it would be difficult to enlist and move right into a CID position. CID has a program for CJ graduates where you enlist to be a CID Agent. You could always enlist and later apply for CID but you would be locked into a 4 plus year commitment with no guaranteed route to CID. Also, compensation would be very low (enlisted military pay).

i would say that you can apply to anything you see open but the easiest and quickest would be CBP (OFO and BP).
                  “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                  DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by CSUAlum View Post
                    USMS, OIG, Fed Wildlife and a few others all do recent grad hiring. Just look for those.

Only if you want a career of misery.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor

Comment

• Gollywompas
                      Gollywompas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Its a shame Rat, Fish and Wildlife always seemed like a dream agency in theory, but i've seen you and countless other speak up about the terrible conditions. Glad there are people willing to speak the truth to keep guys like me from walking in and getting crushed.

• CSUAlum
                      CSUAlum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess it depends. A Marine buddy of mine is doing it out on the east coast and he's not the type to sugar coat anything - says he really enjoys it. He's an outdoorsy type and so it suits him well. Not a ton of "action" but he's not bored.

ROs run about the woods and swamps in trucks, boats, and ATVs as much as they want. SAs? not so much anymore....
                    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor

Comment

• CSUAlum
                      CSUAlum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ah yeah - I guess if your goal is to go SA it's a bit different. I figured OP was looking at any Fed LEO position.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8787 users online. 434 members and 8353 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X