300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Conservation Law Enforcement Officer & LMPT

I was recently hired for a Federal Conservation Law Enforcement Officer job and currently awaiting for a class start date at FLETC LMPT training. Has anyone recently ( within last yr) been to this course that could give me a little insight as what to expect from this training.

You gonna work for DOD? It's 18wks long~. Probably the most demanding basic course at Glynco. You have four 2hr classes a day. You get three meals a day at the chow hall. The food is just ok... until you get tired of it, and then it is terrible. It will take you a few weeks to get tired of it. You will be staying in a dorm. Depending on your dorm, you may have to share a bathroom with a suitemate.

Comment

The most demanding basic course at Glynco? I suppose so, but everything is relative to other life experiences....

Every class has 4 to 5 rock stars (you know the mold- PT studs, awesome at everything, never a hair out of place or a round out of the five ring). Then there's everyone else.... knees wrapped up from kicking the sandbag man too hard, 75 on every test, recipients of regular barkings from irritated instructors, etc.

You'll get to learn about Constitutional law, drive fast, shoot lots of ammo, roll around and wrestle in the mat rooms, go for long runs in the piney woods, and engage with role players in scripted scenarios which may or may not ever apply to your job (i.e.- domestic dispute in campground). Good times.

You won't learn much about specific wildlife laws and regulations. That's left to individual agencies.

If your class is in the summer months, you'll be doing less outside exercising due to the heat and humidity (aka black flag days). There are plenty of indoor spinning bikes though. Invest in some anti-inflammation cream.

You'll quickly learn little tricks to make your time there more enjoyable, many of which are previously detailed in multipage threads on this site. Like what to eat if you don't like boiled chicken (the salad bar!). Like where to go and what to do on weekends. There also is a recreation association which offers TONS of stuff to do and access to equipment- day trips to Savannah or Jacksonville Jaguar football games, fishing pole rentals, etc.

Speaking of weekends, it's a lot like college. Study and train all week, but the fun starts at 5:00pm on Friday. Be smart though- many a career has ended prematurely because people got stupid, and there's little tolerance these days for stupid people.

Speaking of stupid, don't have an intra-class romance with another student. It happens frequently (and often involves married people, btw). Your fellow classmates will have zero respect.

The best pizza, btw, is at Moondoggys, out the back gate. They still toss their pie dough old-school, in the open kitchen. If you become a regular, they may let you give a try, which is fun until it hits the ceiling or lands on the floor.
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 06-01-2018, 03:21 PM.
      Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Lmpt is without a doubt the most demanding basic course at Glynco. With that being said, I thought it was easy (most people actually have to study to get through, some people study a lot). It was much more difficult than citp. ILMPT is much longer and covers more material. More shooting, more DT. While I have never attended UPTP, lmpt is considerably longer as well and covers much more material. Those are facts which make it more demanding. I didn't say it was hard, but I'm sure some people think so. I've seen people struggle.

"The best pizza, btw, is at Moondoggys, out the back gate."

Don't believe this ridiculous statement. Their pizza is simply okay, but as Rat said above, "everything is relative to other life experiences..." He just hasn't had good pizza, apparently. Broomelli Boys pizza is far better in my opinion. I spent quite a bit of time their earlier this year and had it all. What I did love was going out to Jekyll Island on a Sunday to visit Tortuga Jacks. It is a Mexican restaurant known for their margaritas and located directly on the beach. On Sunday they have $3 margaritas and they are awesome.

Comment

Are you guys forgetting Sals Pizza on Saint Simons Island?

Comment

I thought the USMS had the most demanding program at FLETC Glynco.

Comment

Ya, I'd say it is, but it cant really be compared to the others because USMS is more a 'program that happens to be located at FLETC' and not so much a "FLETC program".
              "Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
              You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at"

Comment

USMS is an add-on AFTER CITP and not a fletc basic course.

Comment

And Sal's pizza was mediocre. I was very surprised how good Broomelli's pizza was.

Comment

wildstar82 opined:

Lmpt is without a doubt the most demanding basic course at Glynco. With that being said, I thought it was easy (most people actually have to study to get through, some people study a lot). It was much more difficult than citp
                    Hmmm. I found both to be 90% of the same cookie-cutter stuff. Ok, now we're taking a bus to the gun ranges again... Ok, exceptions to the 4th amendment again. Ok, here we are again backing in and out of cones. Everyday was Groundhog Day.

My point is this: if anyone has been through a real grinder of an academy- the kind that intentionally washes out 20%, the kind that spends the first half breaking people down in order to build them up, the kind that runs 0600 to 1800 five days a week with daily inspections and dog breath instructors in your face - well, they will find LMPT to be no big deal.

Especially the attitude amongst the instructors: don't dare delay a double-dipping frog (fat retired old guy) from getting on his Whaler and going after speckled sea trout on a Friday afternoon....

Everyone has different reference points and life experiences. Ask 10 people about what to expect, and you'll get 10 different answers.

Just like the pizza there.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
                      Are you guys forgetting Sals Pizza on Saint Simons Island?
                      Sals...I love the food...and his constant replays of him in his boxing days. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the same fight video 20 times. Lol!

Comment

If being able to ride a bike to class and chow is demanding then sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJfan4life View Post
                          If being able to ride a bike to class and chow is demanding then sign me up.
                          Exactly.

It's the little daily things that'll start to drive you nuts though. Like walking into a men's restroom and into the unpleasant odor cloud of evacuating classmates. When everyone is mostly eating the same food day after day, week after week, dealing with the ubiquitous fumes becomes a petty torment akin to Chinese water torture.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                            The most demanding basic course at Glynco? I suppose so, but everything is relative to other life experiences....

The best pizza, btw, is at Moondoggys, out the back gate. They still toss their pie dough old-school, in the open kitchen. If you become a regular, they may let you give a try, which is fun until it hits the ceiling or lands on the floor.
                            [/LEFT]

no no its definitely not lol. Im from Brunswick Broomelli Boys near the malls is way better and on the Island Sal's Pizzeria is the place to go...

Comment

I appreciate everyone's response. Thank you all that have replied. I am not new to the law enforcement profession. I've been to my fair share of civilian and military police academys in 3 different states, just not a federal law enforcement academy.

I am what you would call dual certified in the State of Georgia...completed a regional police academy and then a few years later, I went to a Federal firefighting academy and then got reciprocity with the state. I am also a certified EMT. I will have to compare the "physically demanding" part of this training to that of my firefighting academy, which was 21 weeks long. If LMPT training is any thing physical like that...I should be ok on that part....TBH...I have not been to any other training as physically demanding as firefighter training...but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

I learned a long time ago to sit back and keep my mouth shut about my law enforcement experience when attending any law enforcement training or fire training...so I hear ya on the "Every class has 4 to 5 rock stars (you know the mold- PT studs, awesome at everything, never a hair out of place or a round out of the five ring)." ... FYI...I am not one of those guys...lol..

I'm always looking to learn new things and I feel honored to join another group of fellow law enforcement officers. Thank you all for your insight. I am looking forward to attending the training.
                              Last edited by U.S. CLEO; 06-08-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4736 users online. 209 members and 4527 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X