Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent CITP - What to expect

Delete.....
    Last edited by Napman; 05-30-2018, 09:04 AM.

Originally posted by Napman View Post
    Going to be heading down with an OIG. I was told I would most likely be dropped in wherever/whenever there is an opening. Went through a FLETC academy in Artesia but it was all ONE agency. Just seeing what to expect. Will it depend if I get dropped in with a group of all USMS or does it not matter. Most people I have talked to went many years ago, so I don’t know what if any has changed.
    There is different agencies in your CITP class.

Comment

What? Are you going to the USMS academy?

Comment

OP is asking whether his CITP experience, as an OIG student, will differ depending on whether his class is made up of a class of majority USMS students versus a class made up of a mixture of different agencies.

Comment

This^ Not that I will have a choice in the matter. Was just curious what to expect.

Comment

Was at CITP recently. Long story short, you are treated the same for the most part through CITP.

Comment

Originally posted by WillB1smday View Post
              Was at CITP recently. Long story short, you are treated the same for the most part through CITP.
              I will echo this. When I went through CITP any additional agency only training during was done before or after hours. I know USMS and USSS would sometimes PT. Most of the agency specific stuff happens in the add on. If you are there with an OIG I wouldn't worry about the USMS or HSI coordinator getting on your case. They are focused on their people. The other half of my class was HSI and I think I saw their coordinator one time during all of CITP.
              Last edited by AGInvestigator; 05-31-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

When I went through back in 13 there were 2 classes made up of IG from various agencies, one class had 48 and the other had 24. My experience, CITP is run independently from all service academy's, they have a strict curriculum/ schedule and they stick to it no matter what agency you are with. My CITP class was 24 students all going to AFOSI we were supposed to another 20 from IRS and 4 from the Bureau of Indian Affairs but one of those crazy budget things happened and both of those agencies pulled out. While OSI sometimes handles federal law, the majority of our investigations fall under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice. The UCMJ was only briefly mentioned to us in CITP because even though we were all going to a Military Criminal Investigative Organization (MCIO) we were treated like any other FED going thought CITP... so no matter who you are with, CITP trains everyone to the same standard, which in my opinion is great. I was able to get all the military and OSI specific stuff from our agency academy, while knowing I had the same training as the USSS,ATF, USMS, HSI ect... it makes working with other agencies a lot easier because we know we all have the same basic training and can kinda start form there when it comes to running joint cases.

Comment

Any advice/info on FLETC for USSS? Schedules, what to bring, etc.?

Comment

• Gollywompas
                    Gollywompas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FLETC is a cross between a military base and a college campus in my opinion. Courses are very much like college wherein after the first two weeks or so you start having classes all over the place. You may start your morning in a class room for a lecture, then head to the range, then to the gym, and then across campus to the drug lab after lunch. Learn the bus schedule early and plan ahead, i also remember being able to call for a bus pick up if you had a large number of people and the temp was above the 90's but they weren't always reliable. FLETC will issue you every thing you need for the course, but i recommend a good backpack for carrying everyday items and course books. It was hot as hell when i went through so a hydration bladder might come in handy too for some of the longer days outside. Some people brought wrestling shoes or something similar to use in the mat rooms during defensive tactics... not necessary though, i survived in a pair of running shoes just fine. I did bring some creature comforts like my own pillow, kureg for the room, and some fishing poles and tackle to enjoy south Georgia a little more. If your class is anything like mine you will probably spend a lot of time on St. Simons island or in Jacksonville FL having drinks or going out to eat (its good to get away from FLETC after a long week) so I would also recommend some "going out" cloths as well as beach cloths. I also recommend driving if you can, you are not allowed to drive your vehicle to class but having a car was a god send when it came to off duty time, trust me, the FLETC campus and chow hall gets old after a few weeks. Thats about all i can think of for now but if you have specific questions shoot! I had the time of my life at FLETC and really enjoyed the training. I found the large majority of instructors to be professionals who were passionate about the job, hopefully it is still the same. Have fun and good luck!

• DragonThirst
                    DragonThirst commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great answer! Not sure exactly what I can even ask after that haha.

How is the USSS in CITP?

Comment

My first CITP class I was with USMS. It was like 43 DUSM trainees, and five or so other agencies. USMS instructors would come smoke DUSM candidates between classes, breaks, or do 'encouragement' things like wall sits (I say encouragement because those werent punishments, we would actually joke some and talk about upcoming events etc). The USMS employee would very clearly say to the other 5 they did not have to participate. But for those that were more in good spirit, and the other agency trainees participated on their own. I'm talking things like doing 30 pushups for someone's 30th birthday, etc.

As far as punishment PT goes, that was always done completely after hours or in a way that had no effect on the other CITP students. If anything, I'd say the other students liked the USMS instructors and our encouragement sessions or PT celebrations.

Marshals tend to fill up an entire class or close to it.

Originally posted by wannabeleo33 View Post
                    How is the USSS in CITP?
                    My second CITP was 50% USSS. Secret Service imposes their own standards into the CITP training. Even though you are taking FLETC CITP tests, if you dont meet the USSS required 80%, you will be addressed by USSS staff (not sure what that is), even though CITP passing is 70%. I believe they are required to pass USSS PT standards while in there as well.

The long and short of it is in theory, no matter what agencies are in a CITP class, it should be the exact same experience. FLETC is very keen on keeping agency instructors away from the course and interfering in any way, as they should be, so that they can ensure all CITP students receive the same quality training.
                    Last edited by battlewagon; 11-08-2018, 05:32 PM.
                    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Kmiech
                      Kmiech commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know you went from USMS to HSI. You got the HSI offer while you were in CITP for USMS? You must have been down there for a while lol.

• Moose225
                      Moose225 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought the CITP PEB wasnt pass/fail? Also, are they doing taser in CITP, or just OC? I know in some of the pre-CITP packets it has been stated that ECD was possibly taught. Really would rather not experience that again lol

• battlewagon
                      battlewagon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kmiech, yeah, forever. While I was there, multiple government shutdowns occurred as well, only adding to the time. Long enough that I can definitively say I'm never going back to another long duration academy. Luckily HSI was my career goal, so that should be it for me.

• battlewagon
                      battlewagon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And no to TASER, unless they just started it very recently. Can't imagine it being worse than OC though.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11412 users online. 437 members and 10975 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X