Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from Bureau of prison to a local cop

Hello all,

Newer to the forum but was wondering if anyone on here had ever done this. I've been working at the BOP for 2.5 years. However, my dream job has always been to become a police officer in CT. How does the hiring process compare to the Bureaus? The one i went through for the bop was extensive ( talked to neighbors, went to my old jobs, talked to my friends etc.) I signed up for the CPCA and CHIP for next month. CHIP test should be fine but the cpca i've heard mixed reviews on. Any pointers guys?

Thanks

Make sure the benefits are better
    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Be safe and check out of the Connecticut page on here.

Comment

The process will involve a tougher interview and likely a long entrance test as well as a psych test, then interview with a shrink. Possibly a final command interview after that. Also you will have to take and pass a poly. Polys are required in CT for Police hiring.
        The BOP process is easy in comparison, however the local processes can be faster. Good luck.

Comment

Make sure you go to a PD with a pension. Many CT PDs are turning away from pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0027 View Post
            Hello all,

Newer to the forum but was wondering if anyone on here had ever done this. I've been working at the BOP for 2.5 years. However, my dream job has always been to become a police officer in CT. How does the hiring process compare to the Bureaus? The one i went through for the bop was extensive ( talked to neighbors, went to my old jobs, talked to my friends etc.) I signed up for the CPCA and CHIP for next month. CHIP test should be fine but the cpca i've heard mixed reviews on. Any pointers guys?

Thanks
            I'd finish with the bop then do the local thing when you age out...

Comment

I went local LE from BOP but not in CT. Best move I made.

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
                Make sure the benefits are better
                Any bennies are better then FERS, you'd be much better off then working for the "Hug a thug" BOP

Comment

I have FERS/TSP with DoD... not terrible... I just try to contribute more as I make more
                  Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                  Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by fedcop64 View Post

Any bennies are better then FERS, you'd be much better off then working for the "Hug a thug" BOP
                    FERS is not bad but to really make out you need to be in a covered position with a solid high 3. This means getting into an Leo position that includes a premium pay (LEAP, AUO, Copra, BPAPRA) in your high 3. If you are a non LEO and/or don’t top out at or above GS 11 then your pension is not going to be that good.

The only locals that can compete with my FERS pension (I am 5 years out from being eligible) come from extremely high cost of living states like California. Think FERS plus FERS Supplemental and TSP. At 62 the Supplemental goes away but you are eligible for Social Security.
                    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

COPRA is the runt of the litter when compared to the big three...(LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA), as far as creditable retirement income goes...and pretty much as far as collective outcomes and generalities go as well.

Comment

• Exbpa340
                        Exbpa340 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed but a CBPO GS12 plus 50 percent of your OT (Copra) toward high 3 is significantly better than a GL 8 BOP CO or GS 6/7 (0083) Police Officer.

For the life of me I can’t even contemplate why someone would stay in those positions when BP and CBP have announcements every month. I understand that it’s probably about location but having a high three well into 6 figures sure beats one of around 60 K.

GL 8 RUS tops out at 62 K a year.
                        GS 7 RUS tops out at just under 54 K a year.
                        GS 6 RUS tops out at 48 K a year.

• merlin436
                        merlin436 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's actually up to the first 50 percent of the statutory pay cap in COPRA overtime that's retirement creditable. In a 45K cap world, that's no more than 22.5K in overtime that is creditable.

The problems...

CBPOs collectively average less than 10K in overtime in a given year. Most ports won't support that sort of inflated overtime number. The yearly cap can and does change...and it goes down just as easy as it goes up.

But, yeah...compared to a GS-06, as a measure of yearly income, it's a no-brainer. Compared to a GS-12 on 25% LEAP, AUO or BPAPRA...especially as to retirement creditable income...it comes up short more often than not.

• Exbpa340
                        Exbpa340 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I definitely agree but you guys are compensated better per hour worked (COPRA) than we are with our night diff/Sunday Pay/AUO/45 Act.

These are probably the best non-supervisory positions for earning and retirement in the Federal Law Enforcement Community that I know of.
                        1 - 1801 Tech Enforcement Officer HSI (GS13 w/AUO and FLSA)
                        2 - 1811s that top out at GS 13 w/LEAP
                        3 - 1801 Deportation Officers w/AUO and FLSA (always talk of going to LEAP)
                        4 - 1811 positions that top out at GS 12 like the US Marshals w/LEAP
                        4 - 1896 Border Patrol Agents with BPAPRA
                        5 - 1895 CBPOs
                        Last edited by Exbpa340; 06-03-2018, 03:28 PM.

Well I still think FERS is garbage compared to what local PD get, take metro transit pd in dc they get 64% compared to what FERS gets Boca Raton gets 85%. And the way it's going no matter what POTUS is in office they will make working for the feds awful. I tell the younger guys look at local and compare see what's better for you. FERS ain't crap compared to others. Best thing is TSP and if you stay dump as much as you can because FERS will be just beer money

Comment

Originally posted by fedcop64 View Post
                        Well I still think FERS is garbage compared to what local PD get, take metro transit pd in dc they get 64% compared to what FERS gets Boca Raton gets 85%. And the way it's going no matter what POTUS is in office they will make working for the feds awful. I tell the younger guys look at local and compare see what's better for you. FERS ain't crap compared to others. Best thing is TSP and if you stay dump as much as you can because FERS will be just beer money
                        Many times a local PD will get a higher percentage for retirement but for many of us FEDS we will make much more during our work years and in many cases more in retirement. I will use myself as an example as I will be eligible in approximately 5 years. My high three will be around 120k. If I promote it will be in well into the 130s k. At 50 I will get 42 percent (approx $50,400) of my high 3. I will also get a FERS supplemental that is based on how many civil service years I have banked. This should kick in an additional $1,400 a month until I am eligible for social security. Then there is TSP which should easily give me an additional income of 1,500 to 2,000 a month. So my overall retirement package will be between 7 and 8 k a month (84-96 k a year) and that’s if I go out at 50 and don’t promote. If I hit the next pay grade and or work longer those number will go up. Once I am eligible for Social Security the Supplemental will go away but SS will kick in and provide a little over 2 K a month.

The key is to get a federal covered position with a pay grade of at least 9 or above that earns a premium pay (LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA).
                        Last edited by Exbpa340; 06-04-2018, 09:51 AM.
                        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• merlin436
                          merlin436 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In comparison, when I pull the plug in roughly 5 years, I'll will almost assuredly see less than 100K in retirement creditable income as my high three. Given the above figuring, that's an 8K per year less difference in actual retirement income over the guy looking at 120K in career retirement creditable income.. The average 50 year old male has an average life expectancy, https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/population/longevity.html, roughly to 82 years old...making a difference of 256K over a 32 year retirement.

So, choose wisely. Because like in the story, the tortoise will catch the hare given the right circumstances and short term benefits may not win out over long term results.

My opinion working for the feds sucks, if you want to be a cop then be a cop, unless you work for U.S. Park Police anything else sucks, things are changing for retirement so it's gonna get worse get out and be a real cop if that's what you want anything else is bs

Comment

• Exbpa340
                          Exbpa340 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To each their own. I am more than happy with the route my career has taken and would not want to be in uniform any longer or be a local LEO. I work mainly day shift with weekends and holidays off (except for duty phone a couple of weeks a year and enforcement operations). I have travelled all over the world on Uncle Sam’s dime and am compensated very well. Depends on your lot in life. There will always be those better off than you and those worse off. Take some ownership for the decisions you made in life. The pension benefits have been the same for FERS since I was hired in the mid 90s.

As to the pending changes to our pension...Yes there could be some changes to FERS in the near or distant future and it is concerning but many local pensions face similar fiscal issues. FERS was changed/amended two times in recent years (2012 & 2013) but the changes only affected new hires. It’s always easier for politicians to go after those that haven’t been hired yet.
                          Last edited by Exbpa340; 06-05-2018, 09:24 AM.

• J2H
                          J2H commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To me, Police is Police, no matter where I go... I get FOP membership, I get retirement, I get Incentive pay(not LE Pay, but close), and I make an arseload of money (about what a local cop makes here) because I am on DC payscale and have mandatory, built-in OT

You are right and I traveled at uncle Sam's dime as well all over the world saw lots of sites, and I'm not worried about my retirement. weekends off holidays off etc but you know what I never felt like a cop not like I did when I was local some like the feds that's fine but if you want to be a cop go be a cop, go make detective work homicide go do something that makes a difference, even if it's once in awhile. And trust me federal police isn't it either except for park police. So stay in the hug a thug agency or hit the streets and be a cop.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8780 users online. 411 members and 8369 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X