300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of second language...

...Okay, I really just mean Spanish. I hope to stay here on the central coast of California with it's sizable population of non English speakers. I have rudimentary knowledge, can ask some question - but a detailed conversation would most certainly be out of the question for me at this point.

Anyone know how detrimental this will be?

I'll have my B.A in December, not sure how a college degree might offset this shortcoming... should I start taking some language courses now and just study my *** off?

I realize the smart answer is you should learn to speak Spanish anyway! But I work 32 hours a week in conjunction with college (and I want to graduate early so a Spanish class does not earn me valid credits at this point - plus you don't learn all that much).

And since I'm just throwing in question, here's a random one, I've worked for the TSA (you know, the annoying dick who takes your shampoo at the airport) for the last 2 and a half years - Is there a good way to advertise this job? I'd like to make it look as though it would help me be a better police officer without giving off the idea that I think it's analogous to police work... Any thoughts?

Any responses to my random questions are appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by nr5667; 04-07-2007, 12:12 AM.

Second language

If you're looking at a LE career, especially in California, knowledge of Spanish would a major asset. How badly you wish to aquire this skill is up to you. Your TSA work, while not really law enforcement, certainly would qualify as "difficult public contact" work. You could very validly "sell "your TSA experience in that manner.

Comment

Originally posted by nr5667
      ...Okay, I really just mean Spanish. I hope to stay here on the central coast of California with it's sizable population of non English speakers. I have rudimentary knowledge, can ask some question - but a detailed conversation would most certainly be out of the question for me at this point.

Anyone know how detrimental this will be?

I'll have my B.A in December, not sure how a college degree might offset this shortcoming... should I start taking some language courses now and just study my *** off?

I realize the smart answer is you should learn to speak Spanish anyway! But I work 32 hours a week in conjunction with college (and I want to graduate early so a Spanish class does not earn me valid credits at this point - plus you don't learn all that much).

And since I'm just throwing in question, here's a random one, I've worked for the TSA (you know, the annoying dick who takes your shampoo at the airport) for the last 2 and a half years - Is there a good way to advertise this job? I'd like to make it look as though it would help me be a better police officer without giving off the idea that I think it's analogous to police work... Any thoughts?

Any responses to my random questions are appreciated, thanks!
      taking a spanish class might not count toward valid credits, however could be THE reason some dpts might snatch you up. Obvious statement is spanish is in high demand, and will only increase. As far as advertising your TSA experience? Nothing wrong with stating you have experience in dealing with the public, sometimes starting out somewhat negative. Experience in dealing with the public in negative situations and demonstrating/explaining your ability to take control, solve negative interactions with people and doing it with a professional approach would demonstrate your ability to follow through, take charge, handle conflicts etccc.......l.e. you are met with alot of the same negative attitudes not only for what you do, but for what you represent..handling the negative glares, interactions with constant profesionalism and pride in the image you imprint on that civilian are crucial in a healthy l.e. career.
      Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

It`s a big plus to know Spanish,alot of police Dept. will pay you certain percentage more because they want to keep those that speak another language specially Spanish,there is a Dept. I know that went all the way to Puerto Rico to recruit people that spoke Spanish that`s how bad some Dept. want bilingual officers and pay extra to keep them.
        I`d rather have one hundred enemies than one backstabbing friend.

Comment

Yeah, it's a stupid question ultimately - But I want to secure a job as soon out of college as possible, and between work and school I don't really have the time to devote to it that it would take.

After I get hired, I'd most definately look into it, most departments that I'm looking at provide a 2.5 to 5% bonus for it.

Just wondering how much of a make or break it'll be...

Comment

I speak french,spanish,english,and creole. You should try to learn a foreign language if you want to survive in law enforcement work.

Comment

Well, that seals the deal... Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll just have to learn it - maybe 6 months immersion in Costa Rica or something...

...I may as well just tack on another question here. Past drug use. I grew up in Santa Cruz, and went to college in Santa Barbara, really, it's not my fault!.. Anyway, I've smoked pot like 2 times (more than 2 years ago), and tried ecstasy once, about 2 years ago... I'm trying to start my application process now, will I have to wait, am I doomed?

It certainly seems fairly minor to me, considering the very sparing use of these drugs, but they are illegal (and I suppose that's more the point).

Comment

[QUOTE=nr5667]Well, that seals the deal... Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll just have to learn it - maybe 6 months immersion in Costa Rica or something...

...I may as well just tack on another question here. Past drug use. I grew up in Santa Cruz, and went to college in Santa Barbara, really, it's not my fault!.. Anyway, I've smoked pot like 2 times (more than 2 years ago), and tried ecstasy once, about 2 years ago... I'm trying to start my application process now, will I have to wait, am I doomed?

It certainly seems fairly minor to me, considering the very sparing use of these drugs, but they are illegal (and I suppose that's more the point).[/QUOT

marijuana 2x shouldnt be a major issue. only 2 years passed since that use will be an issue...most dpts ask if used within last 3-5 yrs. the ectasy might also be a factor.. I can get on here and tell you your screwed, your a shoe in, maybe, maybe not, just gotta put the apps in and see what happens.
                Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Indeed, there are many factors - hopefully my credit, degree, previous job experience and such will provide for a sufficient counter-balance...

I've read that many agencies have relaxed their standards, so hopefully they'll recognize a youthful indiscretion or two...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6161 users online. 350 members and 5811 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X