Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where I can apply...

Hey Guys

I need some advice from some fellow LEO's. Currently, I'm in the process of trying to get my foot in the door anywhere. Here is the problem: My driving record is beyond atrocious. It's completely unacceptable due to my past. Without getting into details, the most neediest PD's in my area won't even take me. Just to give you an idea.

My question to everyone is: Where can I apply that a driving history won't hold so much weight in a BI? No past drug use, just a poor driving history.

I was thinking Border Patrol?

A poor driving reocrd show a lack of responsibility, lack of maturity and a disrespect for the law. Also you will be driving police vehicles wherever you work, a poor driving reocrd could make you a liability. PDs get sued all the time when officers are involved in traffic crashes. With a poor driving record you could be seen as a liability. I would suggest you learn how to drive properly, avoid any moving offense/traffic accident for about 5 to 7 years and then try applying to law enforcement agencies. Until then you will probably keep getting turned down.

Comment

Thats a reply I would have expected from my father. Thanks for the obvious information. I already know what I've done wrong in the past and it has nothing to do with having disrespect for the law. Honestly, it's irrelevant to this thread.

Didn't come looking for a **** match. Just some useful information, that's all...

Comment

Not sure where to apply

If your driving record is as bad as you say it is, it's going to be a problem. The only reasonable suggestion I can make to you is, to maintain an excellent driving record for at least five years. Even that will not be a guarantee you'll be considered for a Police Officer position. You would also help yourself by maintaining an excellent work history, as in a steady job, and one where you accept additional responsibilities.

Comment

Hey Riz, your reply to the second post sounds like you're looking for a pass. if you're looking for the truth, you came to the right place. If not, then why waste your time, as well as ours? Here it is once again. You're going to have to put some time, as in years, between the last violation, and the time you apply. That's the truth whether or not your Dad said it, or we said it. I really hope things work out for you, but you're the one who has to make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by riz
            Thats a reply I would have expected from my father. Thanks for the obvious information. I already know what I've done wrong in the past and it has nothing to do with having disrespect for the law. Honestly, it's irrelevant to this thread.

Didn't come looking for a **** match. Just some useful information, that's all...
            Your reply to a good post also shows a lack of maturity and lack of respect for anyone. The poster gave you a truthful response and you responded like an idiot.
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by riz
              I need some advice from some fellow LEO's.

"fellow LEO's"???

Acording to your profile, you are neither sworn nor working in law enforcement. So I'm guessing you were born in August.

Sorry bud, love to help ya...but I'm a Sagittarius.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                If your driving record is as bad as you say it is, it's going to be a problem. The only reasonable suggestion I can make to you is, to maintain an excellent driving record for at least five years. Even that will not be a guarantee you'll be considered for a Police Officer position. You would also help yourself by maintaining an excellent work history, as in a steady job, and one where you accept additional responsibilities.
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL
                  Your reply to a good post also shows a lack of maturity and lack of respect for anyone. The poster gave you a truthful response and you responded like an idiot.
                  I already admitted to a poor driving history and it's obvious I know the repercussions. I didn't come here looking for an argument or lecture. I was looking for an agency that might not weigh so heavily on driving history.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    Hey Riz, your reply to the second post sounds like you're looking for a pass. if you're looking for the truth, you came to the right place. If not, then why waste your time, as well as ours? Here it is once again. You're going to have to put some time, as in years, between the last violation, and the time you apply. That's the truth whether or not your Dad said it, or we said it. I really hope things work out for you, but you're the one who has to make that happen.

I'm not into free passes. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door somewhere that will allow me to prove myself, thats all. My past is officially haunting me and if there was something I could do to fix it, I would. Just looking for other options.

Comment

Originally posted by riz

Actually, yes it does pertain to this thread. You asked if anyone would hire you because of your record. So the focus of this thread is your record or else you would not have to ask everyone if you can still get a job. As for your disrespect, you broke the law and yes, that is disrespect to the law. To get a ticket or two, not a big issue, but to not learn from your mistakes and continue to act in that manner is not being respectful. And to come on to this forum and want an officers truthful opinion and to react the way you did, shows you still lack maturity and need to make a true change in your life if you are going to put your best foot forward to be a good, honest officer.

Just as everyone else has stated, I will add the same. Having been a patrol supervisor and having sat on oral hiring boards, I am not sure of any agency that will hire you at this point in time with your driving record. Drive with respect to the law and maybe take a driving safety class and after a few years, you can look good to a department of your choice.
                      Last edited by signal1; 04-06-2007, 02:06 PM.
                      "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

Time heals all.
                        But you may have a bit of a wait.
                        Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                        Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

Hey riz,

Don't know if you're looking to move for the job. Might be an option to look into to getting the experience and the training. If you are.....apply to Baltimore City just to see what they have to say. They are about one of the needest Departments these days. If they say "no" you might want to wait a few years and build up a better driving record. If they say "yes" you might want to think about the move. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Hey Manstown, good looking out. Appreciate the info!

Comment

How bad is your record really? Speeding, DUI's, accidents? I've had my share of speeding violations over the years about 8 in the last 11 years and never had that be an issue with a department doing my BI. Also haven't had one in the last 3 years, so that probably aids it. The people on here will help you, to the best of their abilities, so long as you don't act like a complete *** to them. You stated a problem YOU currently have, you were given a completely realistic and truthful answer, and you respond like an asshat. Even if you happened to get through a BI with a department, it appears you would fail the psych, the interview, and if you by the grace of god made it on, your FTO would probably ****can you the first week. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5535 users online. 299 members and 5236 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X