• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy makes the USSS seem like a sweet gig:

Through the eyes of a Secret Service Agent - Carl Agnelli
    https://youtu.be/OjzsnqzuMVY

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Some people live charmed lives is all I can say....

Others draw the short straw and get posted to the loading dock at the Marriott, in the rear alley where the dumpsters sit...

There's a faint but specific smell of rotting food that permeates one's suit after a week of 12 hour shifts that never totally goes away, despite the number of dry cleanings....
      I have by, no stretch lived a charmed career. Heck last campaign cycle I slept 34 days in my bed the entire year. I've post stood like the rest.

If that's all you've focused on is post standing, the UN and election then you really should look for another job. If you are with the Service, then you signed on knowing the negatives. Someone came to you and told you what was in store during your home interview. If your that chapped about doing your job, may your future job search be successful.

I'm by no means a company guy, but I've had more positive experiences then negative. Maybe that will change when I rotate back to the field office, but your job is what you make of it.

I hear people complain about a 7 day overseas trip to a beautiful location, because they had to pull 2-12 midnight shifts (nevermind they got paid an extra $1k going). Some people never see the good with the bad, only the bad.

Comment

If that's all you've focused on is post standing
        I'm just telling the kids what they can expect...

If you are with the Service, then you signed on knowing the negatives.
        If you say so.

Some people never see the good with the bad, only the bad
        There's good with every job, and there's bad. The key is being informed about what to expect, because that's how realistic expectations are formed. And not to believe the hype.
        One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat707 View Post

If you are with the Service, then you signed on knowing the negatives. Someone came to you and told you what was in store during your home interview.

This

USSS does a very good job informing applicants about what the job (UD or SA) entails.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with the ECTF? How does one get in or get assigned with a cyber background/degree? How is the work?

Comment

• DesertRat707
              DesertRat707 commented
              Editing a comment
              ECTF is broken up to Lab and Investigations. Generally it's a Senior Squad. Your not assigned to it right away until you get the gist of case work (subpoenas/warrants/etc.). Major field offices have them, small offices do not. Courses included Network Intrusions, computer forensics (fletc), BCERT/ACERT and so on.

You apply to ECTF within your office. It's highly competitive. Mobile Wireless also falls within ECTF.

Technical skills are important, but if you don't know how to conduct an investigation, a supervisor may elect someone with a proven history of successful cases.

• DragonThirst
              DragonThirst commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome thank you Desert! If you are assigned to ECTF I assume you go on to attend those classes you listed? (Network intrusions, bcert/acert/etc.) Do they cover any outside training at any point? (for example, FBI covers SANS training)?

Last edited by AJK018; 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Fiduciary crimes.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Anyone have any positive reviews without blowing smoke?

Comment

*crickets*
                  One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

All I know is that their hiring process seemed quite amateurish, at times, for being such a well known and "professional" agency that should be squared away.

Comment

• 8404_2Law
                      8404_2Law commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What do you mean?

I went UD with USSS. Process was rather quick and professional. No complaints there

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                      *crickets*
                      Well, how bout that final four huh?

Comment

Has anyone heard of any recruitment incentives....Especially related to student loan repayment? Or any potential stipends for pursuing additional education while on the job?

Comment

• OCN_1
                          OCN_1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DragonThirst incentives are for UD only.

• incred1bl3
                          incred1bl3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not true, incentives for both UD and SA

• money_mike
                          money_mike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          where would one find more information about the loan repayment program? if its truly available to both SAs and UDs

• incred1bl3
                          incred1bl3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          money_mike you will find information on their intranet as to how to apply etc. But the policy is exactly as described on the OPM website here:
                          https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...oan-repayment/
                          A maximum of $10,000 per year up to $60,000

Are agents issued laptops for investigations, security advances, etc.? Or are notes taken by hand and entered into the computer back in the office?

Comment

• incred1bl3
                          incred1bl3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, agents are issued laptop after fletc, which you keep to go to your field office. You will also get a docking station and a monitor to hook up your laptop to when you get to your field office. Desktop computers are phasing out.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9407 users online. 389 members and 9018 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X