Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kmiech
    commented on 's reply
    Also, you’ve been in with TSA for 13 years and still trying with CBP?? And that’s what you recommend? That’s a long time to wait for a half assed LE job

• Kmiech
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah evolution what do you think you’ll be doing working as a CBPO?? Id rather be in court then stamping passports. It will take a long time before you’re kicking doors down for CBP. Maybe your whole career slash never

• Evolution81
    commented on 's reply
    As a deputy marshal first several years you're doing court protection etc...once you gain your 1811 is when you can do kick doors/high-speed stuff...get in where you fit in apply for all Le gigs..don't let anything discourage you...I am in process for both cbp and Marshals...I started my career as a TS0 almost 13 years ago

• TsFost
    replied
    Appreciate the feedback. I'll be looking into both over the next year or so. All I have heard is that the hiring process can take up to a year if they even end up wanting you for those positions. So figured I might as well make extra money in the meantime as a Tso. I definitely plan to have a one-on-one with the sheriff once I get an answer back on the new job. Definitely don't want to burn any Bridges with my current apartment because who knows one day I may try to come back as a road deputy

Leave a comment:

• Kmiech
    commented on 's reply
    As have I. But with his corrections experience he could apply to be a US Marshal which is much more desirable than CBPO. CBP will hire anyone with a pulse if you can pass a poly.

• Evolution81
    commented on 's reply
    wrong i know plenty of tsos that applied and became CBP officers

• TsFost
    commented on 's reply
    Well the thing is even as a deputized corrections officer the tsa offered me full time with a higher hourly wage. Helping pay off student loans quicker would be nice. Now that being said in January we have testing for road deputy and court deputy positions. So I'll probably test for both since it will still take a good while before I'm sure I hit the tsa ready pool. Just keeping my options open.

• Kmiech
    commented on 's reply
    Read below.

• Kmiech
    replied
    So you’re a Deputy Sheriff or Correctional Officer? I would highly advise staying away from this position if you’re already in an LE position. I started as a part time TSO many years ago with the same thoughts you had. I ended up doing 3.5 years before I could get out and move into an LE position which still wasn’t where I wanted to be in my career. I definitely recommend this position for someone in college or someone who just graduated. I do not recommend this position for someone who already holds an LE position. TSO will not help you get into federal LE. Your current LE position will. PM for any specific questions if you want.

Leave a comment:

• TsFost
    replied
    I am in the process of getting on as a TSO. Just finished my medical evaluation and waiting on my background check. It will definitely be a change from my SO that's for sure. I just want to start at the bottom in the fed system and work my way up. Same way I started as a corrections officer and worked my way up. I'm hoping it will give me a better understanding of things to come. Will I feel naked without my dutybelt? I'm sure I will lol.

Leave a comment:

• Exbpa340
    commented on 's reply
    While you are probably correct about moving up the ranks easier due to a low talent pool in the general work force. I disagree with TSA being paid rather well.
    1 - A lead/Sup/Manager is paid less than many other federal employees with the equivalent duties or even less complex duties.
    2 - TSA is not compensated under the General Schedule (TSA uses pay bands) and its employees receive almost zero within level raises like GS employees do with steps.
    3 - Even their best paid employees (FAMS) are compensated at a much lower rate than other federal LEOs. Still a good gig with good pay though.

https://forum.officer.com/forum/empl...ed-fed-leo-pay
    Last edited by Exbpa340; 10-29-2018, 08:05 PM.

• Etoolqual
    replied
    Originally posted by danger View Post
    I work on the K9 side of the house, and the last 5 EDCH hires at my airport have been internal to TSA only. Kinda ****ed off the prior military K9 guys, but they want to incentivise people starting at the bottom have opportunities to move up. TSO definitely isn't that glamorous for sure, but if your motivated it's easy to stand out and move up. TSA is pretty well funded as an organization, so once you start to move up the ranks, you can get paid pretty well.
    Are you a handler? I am in the process right now for the EDCH and wondering how it is.

Leave a comment:

• Exbpa340
    replied
    My 22 year old son has worked part time for TSA as a TSO for 4 years. In about 6 weeks he will complete his bachelors degree and was able to do this with zero debt (Thanks to making almost $19 an hour with TSA). He will probably move onto to CBP as he has already completed everything for them (BP) and has turned down a couple of their offers. He reapplied and they are currently waiting until he graduates (he will EOD as a GL7). He does have a couple of other applications pending (ICE/DEA) but his most likely next step will be a job as a BPA.

The point is that TSA can be a very good first step. If you intend to stay federal then the time counts toward FERS (not 12d/6C time though) and leave. You also get TSP automatic contributions and matching, FEHB, FEGLI and many other benefits. Not bad for a part time gig.

Leave a comment:

• NCG128
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for shutting this guy up

• Esco
    replied
    Use the TSO position as a stepping stone to a 6C spot in Fams, CBP, UD SS, Capitol Police or Park. Lots of motivated TSOs have made their transition to quality 6C jobs.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5841 users online. 342 members and 5499 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X