300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time Officers

Anyone know of any departments that are hiring part time officer? Do any departments that do hire part time provide training/cert?

Where I live there are some smaller departments that do hire part time officers. Most of these departments require that the candidate be certified already. It costs departments a great deal to send an applicant through an academy, and I highly doubt any department would pay to sponsor an applicant just to have them work part time.

Comment

Part time Officers

I know of at least one Sheriff's Dept in Alabama that employs part time Officers, or at least did. Most agencies that do employ part time Officers, will require that the Officer already be POST certified. On many smaller agencies, the part time Officers can mean the difference between the full timers getting adequate time off, and working with, as opposed to working with no back-up.

Comment

local PD

Yes I know what you mean. My local PD has like 2 full time and up to 10 part timers which they work 30 plus hours a week. Recently they went through some changes and only have 2 full time and 2 part time. But in the past they want certified officers. A friend of mine was an officer and left because he was the only one working 20 hours a day..

Comment

I'm not too happy with the thought of part-time PO's, nothing against anyone who is employed in that capacity. It is nothing more than a cost effective way of policing. I understand that in some areas it is the only way that a full-time PO will receive any backup, but that's not right either. There are several things that a person needs to realize when it comes to management in law enforcement. 1. You have to plan for when times get bad, not for when things are going well. Some politicians or admministators within the agency will contend " Why do we need to hire more full time cops?, nothing goes on here !"....Well, what happens when something IS going on? Is there adequate protection for the public, the cop on the street ?. 2. Police agencies are a government SERVICE, not a revenue generating branch of the governmnet. the key word here is service...You must pay for a service, whether it's an oil change, haircut or whatever. It must be done right, efficiently and to the satisfaction of the customer...that being the taxpayer. 3. Policework costs money, and great policework costs even more money. All of us could've chosen other career paths, but our desire to serve was a deciding factor. I was in the private sector for several years, where I enjoyed a nice salary, handsome medical/dental coverage as well as a secure pension plan.
          As well as being a cop, I'm a father, husband and taxpayer. I'm the last guy who wants to pay more in taxes, and if any of you are familiar with Long Island, we pay the highest taxes in the country.But, we receive some of the best police protection here. Our kids can walk to and from school. They can go to the local parks and playgrounds, and attend a safe school where they're in a secure environment that is conducive to learning. That's a result of paying high taxes, but demanding excellent performance from our civil servants.
          If we had part time personnel employed within our agencies, it would break our unions, break our spirits and in my estimation..break our way of life. Not to say that a part time PO doesn't care as much, or that he/she wouldn't have the same desire to serve. But I've been doing this for almost a third of my life, and I'm a third generation cop, and I know that you have to be there..on the street,..with the people of the community, on a routine basis in order to be truly effective. If I go on a 2 week vacation, the world has drastically changed when I report back to work. There are new players, new haunts, new scams that have to be attended to. The street is an everchanging place, and bad guys are always on the move. I hope that the agencies will some day wake up and realize that it's cops are not just a replaceable item, but a human who is out there doing a job that is important. I hope you guys all get great FULL TIME positions if that's what you're striving for. Stay safe out there

Comment

A lot of communties in NW Missouri have part-time officers to supplement the full-timers. Most are LEOs that work for one agency and part-time at another to make ends.....

Several cities just tried to pass sales taxes on Tuesday to help fund the PDs/SOs.....all failed........

Comment

I am sure you are not looking towards Kansas, but several smaller agencies hire PT Officers. They also pay to send the officers to the part time academy, which if I am not mistaken is two weeks long.
              "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

a police academy that's 2 weeks long , part time? lol... what kind of training do they get...

Comment

Originally posted by ask80
                  a police academy that's 2 weeks long , part time? lol... what kind of training do they get...
                  You know...I am not really sure. Sounds like a joke to me. As a matter of fact, I just went on to the states training site and the class is 11 days, compared to the 4 month full time course. Not really sure what they can learn in that little bit of time. Guess that is why they are usually only used in the small towns where nothing happens.
                  "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6329 users online. 332 members and 5997 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X