300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Interview, advice please!!!

Alright, I recently got out of highschool [and gave up my cozy security job] and moved out of Maryland to Minnesota to be with my girlfriend. About two weeks ago I applied for a position as a Correctional Officer in a nearby county for a small jail. The job closed 4 days ago, and I recieved a request to come in for an oral interview yesterday.
    I flunked my last interview for another county apparently. I admit I stumbled for answers a bit and probably didn't score too well. [As they took 2 months to call me for an interview, I doubt they were too interested in the first place].
    So this time, I want to do it right, and I want to make sure I get this position.

I listed some of the questions I was told were common in Minnesota jails from other jailors, and prepared my answers for them.

If anyone could PLEASE tell me any corrections I should make to these answers, or any other questions I should be prepared for as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

Q: Why do you want this position?

A: I've always desired to work in Criminal Justice, and I believe this would be an excellent opportunity to enter Corrections work.

Q: What are your plans and goals, if you were to be hired for this position?

A: To continually improve myself and advance my skills and abilities as much as possible.

Q: What would you say your greatest strengths are?

A: My communication skills and my judgement. I believe I have an excellent ability to determine the details and status of a situation based on the disposition of those involed, and often diffuse or otherwise take control through verbal communication, before higher levels of force ever become necessary.

Q: What are your weaknesses?

A: Although I always work to the best of my ability, I tend to enjoy working in a dynamic environment where human communication is an important factor, which does not always fit my current place of work.

Q: What did you dislike about your previous jobs or bosses?

A: I never really minded any of my previous jobs, although some weren't in line with my interests, I take pride in doing my job as well as possible. As for my bosses, I've worked very well with each of them I believe, though I had worked closer and learned more from some than others.

Any information on what to change, or other questions to prepare for [or how to answer them], would be GREATLY appreciated!!

[QUOTE=Rivalfire]
    Q: Why do you want this position?

A: I've always desired to work in Criminal Justice, and I believe this would be an excellent opportunity to enter Corrections work.

Q: What are your plans and goals, if you were to be hired for this position?

A: To continually improve myself and advance my skills and abilities as much as possible.

Q: What would you say your greatest strengths are?

A: My communication skills and my judgement. I believe I have an excellent ability to determine the details and status of a situation based on the disposition of those involed, and often diffuse or otherwise take control through verbal communication, before higher levels of force ever become necessary.

Q: What are your weaknesses?

A: Although I always work to the best of my ability, I tend to enjoy working in a dynamic environment where human communication is an important factor, which does not always fit my current place of work.

Q: What did you dislike about your previous jobs or bosses?

A: I never really minded any of my previous jobs, although some weren't in line with my interests, I take pride in doing my job as well as possible. As for my bosses, I've worked very well with each of them I believe, though I had worked closer and learned more from some than others.
    QUOTE]

Having sat on interview boards myself for police officer positions, though I am sure it is the same for corrections, you have to expound more on your answers. Your answers are to short and brief. To say, "To continually improve myself and advance my skills and abilities as much as possible" to a question of what your goals are is too vague. You need to go into this as your stepping stone into Corrections. This is your chance to gain the training and experience needed to make it through the ranks and to serve the facility in the long term. One thing you never want to do is let them know you are there for the training so you can move on. You want them to think you will be there for the long haul. Tell them that this has been your goal and you are glad you have finally made it this far and hope that you can serve their facility. Not to sound rude, but you make it sound as if you are just looking for a job and really don't care what it is you do. Let them know what your goals and plans are for their position. Also when you are talking about why you want this specific position, you need to go into that you have moved there and want to work for them. Again, let them know what you are very interested in that position and almost make it sound as if you moved there just for that job.

Your other answers aren't too bad. Just focus on THEIR position and THEIR facility. Let them know that you want to work for them. Also, don't go into it focused on these questions only. Yes, most employers will ask you these types of questions, but also go in with an open mind so you are prepared for anything. They may have you expound on certain answers you give or they may throw in situational questions. If you are so focused on specific questions, you may be thrown off guard when something else comes at you.

Remember, above all, you have to shine and stand out about the rest. Having just went through an interview board myself, I was told by the detective that is in charge of the hiring process for an agency of over 800, I stood out and the board was impressed with me. They said I was a relief after some of the people they had interviewed and they enjoyed my enthusiasm and excitement. About two weeks later, a good friend of mine that is a detective for the department I am applying with spoke to one of the board members and she still remembered me and said I was on point when it came to my answers and enjoyed my interview. I don't say this to brag on myself, but as a past supervisor and board member, it takes those results to get hired to a large agency or any agency for that matter.

Good luck!!!
    Last edited by signal1; 04-04-2007, 08:55 AM.
    "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5870 users online. 303 members and 5567 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X