Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hear from Denver regarding processing?

Comment

Got an email 2 weeks ago saying I would receive a call for a 15 min interview and still nothing

Comment

Originally posted by RSORX8510 View Post
        Got an email 2 weeks ago saying I would receive a call for a 15 min interview and still nothing
        Have you contacted them yet?

I would reach out and ask if you're still being considered for the position. All the contact info is in that first email.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthebeef View Post

Have you contacted them yet?

I would reach out and ask if you're still being considered for the position. All the contact info is in that first email.
          Yep, I was able to get a hold of someone thanks. So from what they said there are 2 different academies which are 10 months long total lol. Not really too excited as this only goes to a 9. Have a few offers but might go through the process just in case others fail.

Comment

Not really too excited as this only goes to a 9
            Here's the deal:

This is a good 'stepping stone' job. Stepping stone as in get your foot in the door, get an academy out of the way, and spend a few years working in a rural backwater full of hook and bullet types.

But this is not a good career job for a variety of reasons. Journeyman GS-9, upward mobility is limited, and the low dirty truth is while USFWS does a lot of things right, LE isn't one of them. You can dismiss the chest beaters and sycophants who tell you otherwise.

Running airboats and ATVs and watching sunrise over the marsh is cool (for awhile) and if you were to ask any random 1811 working in a big city if they wished to be in that spot, they'd probably give a wistful response. But there's a huge difference between GS9 and GS13 salary and how TSP grows depending on contribution. Just do the math: 60K vs. 120K salary, and the magic of compounding interest over 20 years of 10% contribution. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Go play in the mud but have bigger aspirations because one day you'll wake up and the job won't be fun anymore and the only thing that will really matter is financial security for your family....
            You can always tell when a man is well informed- his views are pretty much like your own.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Comment

• Evolution81
              Evolution81 commented
              Editing a comment
              This man speaks the truth...I am 13 years in...and the top priority is location/money then job satisfaction

Originally posted by RSORX8510 View Post

Yep, I was able to get a hold of someone thanks. So from what they said there are 2 different academies which are 10 months long total lol. Not really too excited as this only goes to a 9. Have a few offers but might go through the process just in case others fail.
            Do you mean that they're doing 2 rounds of hiring; one for the June Academy and another for a later academy?

When I got called they told me there was an upcoming academy in June. So based on what you're saying there will be a second academy that will have a second round of hiring?

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthebeef View Post

Do you mean that they're doing 2 rounds of hiring; one for the June Academy and another for a later academy?

When I got called they told me there was an upcoming academy in June. So based on what you're saying there will be a second academy that will have a second round of hiring?
              I could be wrong, from what I heard there is a 17 week basic academy and another 15 week academy for specialized training. So technically just one academy which is June.

Comment

As far I know its:

17 weeks FLETC

3 weeks National Conservation Training Center

10 weeks field training/evaluation

They may have added another 2 weeks here and there after FLETC.

So are they still calling people; you're still in the running?

Comment

Yes they called me yesterday but still debating on it because Im currently in the process for other agencies which are automatic 12. I don't think I'll go for it

Comment

Land management LE is one of those niches you really have to do want to do.

I turned down the Border Patrol this year when I found out I was in the running for this job and Forest Service LEO. I turned down more money because I really want to work in a ranger/warden type position. Call it passion or mental illness... its not for everyone.

Comment

I was told the same information as wheresthebeef when I got my phone call. Also that FLETC would start in June.

Comment

I was amazed at how quickly they're planning to move this hiring process along; it's very un-government like.

However, the 5 months that passed since the application closed averages it out I suppose.

Comment

• C-MONEY22
                          C-MONEY22 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was also surprised at how they are trying to streamline the hiring process. I think they are trying to get it moving as fast as possible because of the shutdown.

I think another factor is that Refuge employees were very recently stripped of their ability to have LE authority; there were in effect part-time/reserve LEO who had a separate primary job in the agency. I suspect this recent hiring push has something to do with that.
                        Last edited by wheresthebeef; 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• C-MONEY22
                          C-MONEY22 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You could be right on with that thought! Whatever the reason, I am liking that the pace is faster for this hiring process than most others.

• wildlife97
                          wildlife97 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not really actually. USFWS wants to do a national hire every year. In the past few years the timeframe from in-person interview/job offer to FLETC starting has been right around a month.

Anyone know if you are a higher grade and drop to a 9 with FWS what step do they put you at?

Comment

Originally posted by 1811_WannaBe View Post
                          Anyone know if you are a higher grade and drop to a 9 with FWS what step do they put you at?
                          That depends on your current grade and step. You will have to look at the pay charts to see how they convert when you bust down.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6531 users online. 277 members and 6254 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X