Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the same email as well. Anybody know if this is 6c covered and what the max GS potential it goes up to?

Comment

I think it is 6c retirement. The payscale is GL (Law Enforcement) and I believe its automatic to GL-9.

Comment

Just completed the phone call around 7am Pacific Time. It wasnt bad at all. Looks like they want the process to go as fast as possible.

Comment

• Ranger2017
          Ranger2017 commented
          Editing a comment
          You allowed to say what they asked you?

Had to withdraw, one of the two locations I wanted was already taken and none of them are a guarantee. They pay for you to fly out to Virginia for an interview late April early May. Questions were just basic questionnaire questions and then they’ll send a some info for references, go for the interviews. Like the other guy says looks like it’ll be moving right along. If I didn’t already have a TO from ice From a desirable to me location I’d have continued

Comment

What location was taken?

Comment

• mxxdude
            mxxdude commented
            Editing a comment
            A few in Montana
            San Diego CA
            McFarland CA
            and a couple other ones I forgot. Each slot is only hiring 1 person, she said some of them maybe two.

Were you asked about alternate locations other than the preferences you chose on the job app? I wish I had chosen more duty locations. I only chose 4 locations, 2 of which you mention as being filled.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

• wheresthebeef
            wheresthebeef commented
            Editing a comment
            I received the phone call today. To answer my own question; they asked if I was willing to go anywhere-USA for a position. Everything else asked was basic eligibility stuff.

I wonder how locations have already been taken when the interviews aren’t even done?

Comment

Probably laterals already in the agency who applied for the 7 or 9 positions. Notice the taken positions are mostly California and Puerto Rico... locations in high demand/desire.

Ratatat, would you please describe the organizational structure of NWR LE? From my research I've found that most officers working at a NWR report to the Refuge Manager (Non-LE), is that correct?

Is the Law Enforcement division completely separate; it concerns Special Agents and not NWR Officers?

Comment

Got the phone call. Just basic questions, very informal. They let me know about some of the positions being closed. They are definitely wanting to streamline the process and get everything done rather quickly. Now it's hurry up and wait again.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthebeef View Post
                Probably laterals already in the agency who applied for the 7 or 9 positions. Notice the taken positions are mostly California and Puerto Rico... locations in high demand/desire.

Ratatat, would you please describe the organizational structure of NWR LE? From my research I've found that most officers working at a NWR report to the Refuge Manager (Non-LE), is that correct?

Is the Law Enforcement division completely separate; it concerns Special Agents and not NWR Officers?

Since you asked nicely...

Technically the buck stops with the RM but it gets a bit convoluted as GS-11 Zone Officers have a certain degree of defacto oversight over GS-9s since a portion of their duties is 'to provide training, guidance, and be liaisons to prosecutors.' So while the RMs have the official supervisory role when it comes to scheduling, evaluating, and managing the day to day operations, you have this other person (who may be three hours away) who has a say in what cases go to court, what the priorities are, etc. I suppose it works fine in some places but elsewhere it creates an additional layer of unnecessary bureaucracy and an 'official meddler' position.

OLE and NWR are completely separate and have always been. There have been efforts at times to combine the two, which didn't happen for various reasons, mainly because RMs didn't want to cede over control what happens on their refuges to another entity (a notion that probably dates back to the time of emperors and empires).

There was a time, back 20-30 years, when OLE had more oversight when it came to NWR LE. In parts of the country, especially in the Southeast, it was common practice for officers to mail citations to the nearest agent first. So, for example, if an officer would encounter some guy fishing without a license, the officer would say, "Sir, you will be receiving a citation in the mail in the next few weeks for this violation." The officer would then have to go back to the office, type up a citation, mail it to the local agent who would review it (and approve it) before mailing out. It was totally silly, a huge time suck, and basically undermined an officers ability to take immediate action to address a violation.

RMs are all non-LE these days, and fewer and fewer have LE backgrounds anymore. I'm not going to parse out whether that's good or bad, but I will say this: there is a huge difference between agencies that are LE from top to bottom in mission, in decision making, and in personnel, than agencies where LE is a small niche, where it has to compete for internal resources against other program areas, and where management has minimal practical experience and background in the field....

That said, NWR LE does offer the closest match to the old school 'game warden' archetype. Most officers have long leashes when it comes to working on their own and determining what they want to do on any given day. One day it's boat work and the next it's ATV patrol. Fishing season ends and hunting season begins. Every refuge is unique- one refuge might have problems with Indian artifact collectors and another might have issues with people meeting for anonymous sexual encounters on the wildlife trail. Unlike big national parks, refuges don't get 4 million tourists a year and have 500 site campgrounds. Most refuges are in rural places where GS-9 with AOU goes a long way. If you don't mind bugs, mud, and snakes (most refuges are swamps), then it's a hidden gem of a job...
                The only people who know where the edge is are the ones who've gone over it.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

And a disclaimer: I am not an employee of NWR LE. I'm basically the State Farm guy- I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two.
                  The only people who know where the edge is are the ones who've gone over it.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I heard that there is talk of having the officers supervised by the zone officer any word on that?

Comment

I heard there was talk of having the officers supervised by the zone officer any word on that?

Comment

• Ratatatat
                        Ratatatat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have no insight other than to say RMs would oppose the idea.

This outfit is in constant state of power struggle over who controls this and who controls that. The stakes are pretty low, I mean, c'mon, this isn't the Seventh Fleet. It's as if these people invent drama just to have drama. It's totally bizarre.

• wildlife97
                        wildlife97 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was included in the USFWS DRLE Strategic Plan that was released in the fall of 2018. The Regional Refuge Chiefs (aka the Regional Refuge Directors). Will decide on all of the implementations of the plan in the next few months. If that happens the 11/12 Zone Officer position will become a Patrol Captain position (either a 12 or 12/13). There is also the plan of creating an 11 field supervisor/sgt/Lt type position.

Ratatatat, as always, thank you for your insight.

Comment

Do any of you know if your references have been contacted yet?

Comment

• C-MONEY22
                          C-MONEY22 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          None of mine have been contacted as far as I know.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4983 users online. 164 members and 4819 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X