300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas Metro Police

I just applied to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police. If you go to their web site you can submit your application and if you qualify you will get a test date. They are trying to hire approximately 400 new officers each year for the next ten years. Out of state candidates only have to make two trips if you make it all the way to hire. Academy is 22 weeks long and they also help you find residency. You start off around 47k in the Academy. Right now they are excepting applications for the May 1st test date. May 1st is the written test, then if you qualify you take the physical on May 2nd and if you pass that you have Oral Board Exams May 3,4,7, & 8. Out of state people have the orals on May 3 & 4. In state applicants have the oral on the 4th, 7th, & 8th. The web site has good info and the recruiters numbers are available and they are very helpful also. Good luck if you apply. If you do apply and make it and are out of state, I know Delta has some of the cheapest flights from east coast. Just do an internet search for Las Vegas Metropolitan Police and you can find their web site.
    Last edited by Ammo22; 03-29-2007, 10:25 PM.

Anyone on here have an expierience going through their application process? I'm starting to lose hope on getting a job in my home state (kentucky seems to be nothing but big departments that seem to have hiring freezes all the time, or small departments that are hire almost entirely based nepotism). If I've got to move away from home, I'd want it to be Vegas. I spent December of last year out there on business and fell in love with the town (it's got a vibe like no place else on earth). But to fly out there for the testing and all of that won't exactly be cheap, and if it's 10,000 people applying for 400 jobs I'm not sure I want to risk the cash. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State" -- Heinrich Himmler

Comment

You ever wonder about those 10,000?

How many pass the written exam?

How many get past the background check?

If you are in fact qualified, the real number you're competing with is likely much smaller.

Comment

From day one at the written exam to the present time, every single contact I've ever had with anyone to do with the department has been extremely respectful, polite, friendly, and helpful. They really try and do their best in making the process as productive and efficient as possible (especially for out-of-state candidates). I did my research and looked into the pros and cons and really could not find many negatives.

I lived in New York and Rhode Island and looked into the east coast for a around two years just prior to and after graduating college. Long story short, I'll be moving to Las Vegas the first week in May to begin the Academy! I could not be any happier! I'd strongly reccomend visiting and driving around and looking at all of the areas (Vegas is much more than just the strip). Also, I know the heat could be an issue for some. Personally, I think I'll be fine, so far I've been out there during the fall, winter, and summer. The weather did not seem to be an issue for me at the time, but I know it gets HOT.

I have a lot of respect for everyone that I came in contact with. They appear extremely professional, which was nice and what you'd expect from a Police Department (unfortunately, its not always the case).

You can call one of the recruiters if you have any questions about anything.
        http://www.protectthecity.com/recruiter.html

As for prices on flying, check the internet sites for JetBlue and Southwest. I've flown Southwest for the most part because of the $99 one way prices from New York to Las Vegas. Occasionally, JetBlue will have some specials as well (I'd prefer JetBlue because of the tv's but its no big deal). It's definitely worth a visit though and if possible, rent a car and drive around. This last visit, I had my medical exam, one of the last things prior to the academy, and rented a Dodge Charger for a couple of days (brought my girlfriend with me, and she had a couple of job interviews and we looked at six different apartments, before choosing one we really liked). I ended up putting over 400 miles on the car Good thing for unlimited mileage, definitely worth the few extra dollars...

Bottom line, its an excellent department, and just about anyone you ask, LE or not, will tell you that. I was very taken back and impressed/happy to hear the thoughts on the department from two friends of mine (Providence, Rhode Island Police Officers), two co-workers at the time (Massachusetts State Trooper and Foxboro, Massachusetts Police Officer), and a few Nassau County Police Department Officers/Detectives.

Any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Good luck.
        Last edited by MRRBEST; 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM.
        The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

PS: These threads might be helpful for you:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62519

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39374
          The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

How long is their academy?

Comment

As previously stated, the academy is 22 weeks long. To ghent, it's not 10,000 applying for 400 jobs. There are 10,000 jobs available over the next 8 or so years, and there are about 400 hires a year.

Comment

I've been emailing back and forth with a recruiter, and I'm definately going to sign up for the september or november testing dates. It's not an "everyone who applies gets in" kind of job, but from what I've read it seems like just about anybody who meets the qualifications has an extremely good shot. I found this link http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho...ecruitment.gif on one of the forums here and that definately aleviated my "10,000 guys all fighting for the same 400 slots" worries.
                "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State" -- Heinrich Himmler

Comment

Originally posted by ghent
                  I've been emailing back and forth with a recruiter, and I'm definately going to sign up for the september or november testing dates. It's not an "everyone who applies gets in" kind of job, but from what I've read it seems like just about anybody who meets the qualifications has an extremely good shot. I found this link http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho...ecruitment.gif on one of the forums here and that definately aleviated my "10,000 guys all fighting for the same 400 slots" worries.
                  Yeah! I saw that a few months ago and I definitely felt relieved afterward. I still have about a year of college to finish before I apply though, so here's hoping that the recruiting doesn't stop for some unexpected reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Counter-Strike
                    As previously stated, the academy is 22 weeks long. To ghent, it's not 10,000 applying for 400 jobs. There are 10,000 jobs available over the next 8 or so years, and there are about 400 hires a year.
                    Why do they make you go through another academy if you are already certified?

Comment

the same reason why you have to goto CHP and LAPD's own academy

Comment

I wonder if PT is done outside or not...
                        tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
                        NOR-11/11
                        TSL- 11/17/11
                        pft1- 12/8/11
                        Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
                        Qual- completed 3/12
                        Medical Ex- completed 4/12
                        S I-completed 3/12
                        Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
                        Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
                        Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
                        Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
                        new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Comment

Hey folks. Alright, lemme make a few comments. I just got off work so I have some time to spend.

First I would strongly recommend reading this thread: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59290. It contains a complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD). Someone else posted the link earlier, but inside the thread is how the process is broken down. There's about 1,000 applicants, not 10,000. I've done my best to write any questions people may have in the thread. Read that thread and it will answers the questions you all posted here. I continue to update it whenever it needs to.

Ghent - I have experience with their process from the civilian side (but I also am familiar with the commissioned side as well). It's very intensive and Metro goes through everything. It will take about 6 months from the time you test to the time you get hired. However, they are changing to 40 man academies each month so that may change, I don't know. I certainly encourage you to come test. You never know until you try.

nr5667 - Check the thread I posted, it's also in my signature.

Mole177 - PT is done outside. Starting this November, the academies will take place at Mojave and Northwest Area Command. They will be 40 man academies each month. (Academies used to be at Mojave but then they built Northwest and the academies moved there.)

It does get hot in the summer. It reaches around 115 or so. It it critical that you stay hydrated. It's certainly not impossible though. Other police officers have gone through the academy during that time and they made it. LVMPD is a very respected department. We are one of the best, if not the best in the nation. I recommend heading to the Nevada forums and reading the threads there. You'll probably get a quicker response there.
                          Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

Las Vegas Metro Police Academy

Does anyone know if women who join the academy can reside off post and still come home to their families on a daily/regular basis???

Comment

Here you go e-mail Officer Gorton in recruitment. He is solid and will answer your question quickly

Officer Thomas Gorton
                              Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
                              Personnel/Recruiting
                              702-920-8953 (Office/Fax)
                              [email protected](Preferred)
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11334 users online. 401 members and 10933 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X