300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview question resource?

I'm beginning the application process for some local departments, and all have significantly different steps. But all have some sort of in-person panel interview.

In an effort to best prepare myself, I've been searching online to see if I can find anything to give me a competitive advantage. I'm not necessarily looking for the exact interview questions, but at least some suggested topic areas to try to think through in advance.

For past job hunts, I've found Glassdoor to be very helpful for this, but that resource isn't giving me anything for police agencies in my area. I've also done a fair bit of Googling and searches on these forums as well as a few others. But I'm not finding anything.

Any suggestions?

Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Each agency wants your OWN answer. There is a reason that the information is generally not posted... But I'm sure someone will tell you some of the questions. Just not me. It has to do with ethics.

What is it with this generation that demands all the answers up front?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• BoredAFGuy
      BoredAFGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto! Some departments never asked me about my experience, they just wanted to rollplay scenarios. Some focused entirely on my experience, and what I bring to the fight. Biggest thing is to be quick on your feet!

This is what many orals score you on. Go over each area, try to anticipate every possible question that might be thrown at you and be prepared with an answer.
    • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
    • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
    • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
    • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
    • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
    • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

There are lots of books on Law Enforcement Interview preparation. Likewise, lots of online resources. Google common interview questions by type (some are listed above), then tailor and per-load responses based on your own experiences/situations. It all really depends on the interview type. If it's an informal interview where they want to get a sense of you, I'd go off script and be myself. If it's structured with a point value, I'd recommend the STAR technique, with general categorizes of my own personal experiences per-loaded. Google is your friend....

Comment

Check out Youtube too

Comment

If you are worried about handling situational questions (what would you do if x, y & z occurs?) let me suggest the following.

No amount of sample questions will help you. You either have the smarts to formulate a reasonable response or you don't. With one exception, no amount of prepping is going to help you. If you can't think your way out of a situation and articulate that solution to an oral board in a calm and controlled environment, you certainly can't to it in a chaotic, real life event in the field.

The one exception that will help you is this. You might be given situational questions where there are only two possible responses. No matter which one you choose, it will subject you to intense criticism both by the oral panel, and if the situation were to occur in real life, by the public and your peers. Be prepared to defend your choice to the oral panel and don't let them bully you into changing your mind and switching your answer. No matter which answer you choose, they WILL bully you and try to get you to change your answer. The whole purpose of the question is not to see which answer you give, but to find out if you can be bullied into changing your mind. No one wants a wishy washy cop.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4315 users online. 209 members and 4106 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X