X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UltraRnner87
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2016

Question regarding BI and neighbors...

Hi, so no where near this stage yet. Just starting to apply and take exams.

So I recently moved, back in January, and live with my MIL. Rents are high where we live; so we have our own little pad with the MIL. We pay $300 a month for rent and are working towards saving up for a house.

So where we currently live have rarely met any of the neighbor's. Work odd hours and everyone keeps to themselves where we currently live. I'll see them on way to work, school, or heading to the gym. Usually give them a wave, but that's about the extent of the interaction.

I lived 18 yrs in a condo complex with my mom. Most of the neighbor's have gone. Only one still lives there since I lived there. Was friends with the neighbor's granddaughter. Helped out with minor things in their condo: Turning outside water pipes on after winter, moving their car when the plow came. Last 2 yrs living their she has been more reclusive and her family has been helping her a lot more. So interaction was minimal last 2 yrs there. Maybe a wave or hello at times.

The other neighbor last 2 yrs has had this conflict with my mom who lives at the complex used to live at. Little trivial stuff like complaining one tire is in their parking spot or tv is too loud and so on. So not sure how reliable that neighbor be for info.

Was thinking of making bussiness cards up with my name and number giving them out to the neighbor's where I currently reside. Then explain going for police exams and may/may not be contacted by a BI. Also if need help with anything don't hesitate to contact me. Think that be a smart idea?

Appreciate the insight.
  • Ratatatat
    Welcome to the party, pal
    • Dec 2014

I'll forego any comments about living with your mother/mother in law for most of your adult life, other than to say that's kind of a red flag in and of itself....

RE: printing up business cards and handing out to neighbors for when BIs knock on their doors and offer to help out with anything in a ham-handed attempt to pander for some nice comments. Not a smart idea. Better to have ten neighbors say "I don't really know much about him" than 10 neighbors saying, "Oh yeah, he gave me this business card and said he's taking the police exam and to call whenever I need anything." It just smells bad.

The reality is neighbors are going to say whatever they're going to say, and as long as they're not saying you sell rock from your mail slot or children in the complex are disappearing and you're the main suspect, then what they say will be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

• UltraRnner87
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2016

Got you cool thanks for the advice!

Comment

• cwo4uscgret
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2017

During my background check for Customs my ex-wife was interviewed. I don't know what she said but the Investigator said he needed a copy of my divorce documents and 3 more character references.

I barely knew my neighbors (except for next door and two guys who lived across the street. I had no problems with any background investigator asking my friends, neighbors, relatives, or complete strangers about me - my background was and is clean.

To the OP - printing business cards and passing them out to neighbors where you recently moved to then explaining to them why you're doing it - a bad move in my opinion. If I were doing your BI and a neighbor I was interviewing handed me your business card
        Was thinking of making bussiness cards up with my name and number giving them out to the neighbor's where I currently reside. Then explain going for police exams and may/may not be contacted by a BI. Also if need help with anything don't hesitate to contact me. Think that be a smart idea?
        I'd start to dig a little deeper - wondering what you may be "hiding" or trying to manipulate what they may say. Smart idea? In my opinion - a bad idea. Imagine a neighbor, three doors down, that you gave a card to answering the investigator's question: "The only time I've ever met him was when he knocked on my door and gave me his business card - telling me I might get interviewed. Kind of strange; kind of insecure if you ask me....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18620 users online. 33 members and 18587 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...