300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    And another thing- if you're looking for a motivated employee who will do just about anything and not complain, not file an EEO, and (for the most part), not do something stupid that might jeopardize their future, then look no further NPS seasonals hoping to become NPS permanents. They will work without compensation or AUO, i.e.- responding off duty to a midnight car wreck. They will not sass their boss or question bad decisions. And if they get hurt on the job- easy solution- just terminate for failure to perform. There's no pesky workman's comp or health insurance to deal with. They truly are the most 'perfect' employees....

Man, you are way out touch with the way things are now. You keep saying 90 day gigs, seasonal jobs are 6 months at most parks and many are for a full year. Seasonal's also get health insurance and are entitled to workman's comp just like everyone else.

Comment

• Ratatatat
      Ratatatat commented
      Editing a comment
      If you say so. I do admit to being away from that world for some time now.

My postings are based on recollections from back in the day, when the summer help would arrive end of May, and most would leave by early September (seasonal rangering was very popular with school teachers for that reason). Yes, there were a handful of rock stars (40 years old and had been at the same park summer after summer after summer) who were brought on in April and kept on through October), but the hearty majority were 90 day wonders.

There was an effort a few years back to eliminate seasonal LE rangers all together and covert positions to STF (permanent, subject-to-furlough) status where they were laid off during the dead of winter but still enjoyed all the benefits of permanent status, but from what I recall, it was too costly. Maybe you could provide some insight on how many seasonal LE positions currently exist and how many were converted to STF.

RE: workman's comp for seasonal LE rangers. True story- one of the guys I worked with made a vehicle stop and the (drunk) driver tried to pin him between the car and a guardrail. The ranger was able to jump the guardrail and not get pinned, but on the other side was a steep drop off. He broke his arm and some ribs in the fall and was out for the summer. When it came to workmans comp, Interior denied his claim, and stated this situation was a Third Party Claim, meaning he would have to pursue damages via civil lawsuit against the driver who hurt him (who of course didn't have two nickels to his name). The ranger was then let go for inability to perform duties. Yes, he could fight the DOI finding, but that takes years. Talk about S O of L....
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 08-25-2018, 09:56 PM.

Hey all, first time posting here. Glad to see an article about this topic that's not over 5 years old. I am in a similar situation where I'm looking to get into this line of work. I just graduated with my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and Criminology and I am starting my EMT course in a couple days which will check that box off. It's definitely disappointing to see how negatively the NPS LEO Rangers are treated but I am still considering it since I'm only 24 years old and not tied down with a family yet. I was wanting to get into the BLM, though they require extensive prior experience which I do not have. That's why the NPS is looking like a decent option right now to gain experience first. I'm hesitant to ask for other advice on this matter because I've read all of the other posts, but I'm still open to any advice if anyone is willing. Or perhaps alternatives to the NPS that someone with my background has a chance to get into?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_Lawhorn View Post
      Hey all, first time posting here. Glad to see an article about this topic that's not over 5 years old. I am in a similar situation where I'm looking to get into this line of work. I just graduated with my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and Criminology and I am starting my EMT course in a couple days which will check that box off. It's definitely disappointing to see how negatively the NPS LEO Rangers are treated but I am still considering it since I'm only 24 years old and not tied down with a family yet. I was wanting to get into the BLM, though they require extensive prior experience which I do not have. That's why the NPS is looking like a decent option right now to gain experience first. I'm hesitant to ask for other advice on this matter because I've read all of the other posts, but I'm still open to any advice if anyone is willing. Or perhaps alternatives to the NPS that someone with my background has a chance to get into?
      First advice is dont use your real name as your screen name.

Comment

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a real name?? I figured it was a variation of Foghorn Leghorn....

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        lmao. yeah good advice though

• Brandon_Lawhorn
        Brandon_Lawhorn commented
        Editing a comment
        lmao! You're right, I realized that after I logged in after a couple years. Any way to change it or just make a new account?

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        You created an account in March 2016 but did not drop your first post until August 2018. You Sir are a man who waits and observes before posting and that's a breath of fresh air at a website where some users bloviate daily. I look forward your next post in January 2021.

I'm a little timid to post on the open forum, and hope this information doesn't somehow sabotage career hopes. Most pertinent information I skip is probably for brevity's sake, not anonymity. I'm happy to answer clarifying questions.

First, I have to thank Ratatatat for inspiring my handle.

I'm a disabled veteran with a significant employment gap that I spent on reasons I'd rather not publish here. Not a judgment, reliability, trustworthiness issue. Various HR offices have yet to care.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I worked for a large OIG and for a DOI agency, not NPS. As a practical, apolitical statement, the USA could always use good public administrators, and both oversight and land management speak to me. However, my service record, while honorable, isn't getting me any job offers in itself. My bachelor's is from a mediocre school with a mediocre major.

It looks like I have some interviews coming up, of relevance to this thread/forum: a non-LE non-NPS Ranger slot and a Pathways at a small OIG. To use delicate phrasing: I was never opposed to being a police at a park, but I had long ago written off park jobs. They seemed "too good to be true," for LE or not, so I didn't bother applying when I was even trying on USAJOBS.

The theme of some posts here trend towards the rigor of the NPS LE seasonal life and the poor return on investment of SLETP. I see why folks say so on the latter. However, the VA covers me financially and medically.

TL;DR? I peripherally knew some 1811s at my old OIG and they seemed happy enough, but the meme around the internet is work-life balance in that crowd seems to vary from lousy to manageably mediocre. I've known several FLEOs who have traded in the enhanced retirement in order to be with family. On the other hand, the few LE and non-LE Rangers I've barely seem exuberant with their lifestyle. In my case, clearly, I was fortunate that the years I could have spent starting a career became years of semi-vacation. I spent that time shifting from An Angry Young Man to (drastically?) more nuanced views. I've been poking around looking for career advice from those in the know, so, here I am.

Best,
      Foghorn Leghorn
      Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; 08-28-2018, 03:44 PM. Reason: edit: last sentence or so didn't come up on the first go around

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5665 users online. 176 members and 5489 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X