300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Smart counsel. Better yet, avoid all Interior Dept. LE agencies.

Interior does a lot of things right, LE isn't one of them though....
    What about BLM 1801?

Comment

Here's a BLM news article for you:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-sta...ges_misco.html
      I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

What about USFWS Refuge Law Enforcement? Does that one have issues too?

Comment

Well, everywhere has issues. Some are just bigger than others.

Refuges has made major strides over the years, and there is something special about being a one-officer (usually) operation at a refuge where you control your destiny every day. But, keep in mind, fewer managers than ever had LE authority, understand LE, appreciate LE, and support LE on their refuges....

-Steven Wright

Comment

If USFWS never got rid of the 0083 refuge officers...
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Below is a link to the latest news re: USG vs. Bundy family and their militia. The Cliff notes version: the case ended in a mistrial due to failure to provide proper discovery (as well as other prosecutorial and LE issues), with doubt there will be another trial.

A few of the militia types who participated in both or either of the Bundy-led incidents in Nevada and Oregon who copped plea bargains mostly got minor sentences, ranging from probation to a year or two incarceration or house arrest (although there is one Greg Burleson of Phoenix, who got a sentence of 68 years in prison because he showed up at the Bunkerville incident, proving that the cookie doesn't crumble the same for everyone).

Note the people who led these seditionists acts, i.e. the ones who made the rallying cry, who organized and motivated various militias from across the country to exercise their right to free speech and their right to assemble and their right to bear arms in protest of federal land management (which also drew criminal elements and resulted in the deaths of two LVPD officers and put many other officers in the line of fire), which disrupted the peace of Harney County Oregon and caused damage to Malheur NWR, these people have been found not guilty in one trial and a mistrial declared in the second.

Rebuke of U.S. attorneys in Cliven Bundy case: 'Every prosecutor's nightmare'

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-sta...attorneys.html

-Steven Wright

Comment

This is the problem with the NPS Protection Ranger gig:

Although permanent LE rangers are covered under 6c/12d and perform police type functions, the job is basically several different jobs combined into one. At most parks you are required to be an EMT, Wildland FFT2, Structural FF, High Angle SAR and Motorboat Operator. In addition to those duties, you will have a ton of collateral duties like EMS Coordinator, fee collections, campground management, committee member, etc.

I don't care who you are, it's hard to be an expert at everything and therefore you end up with LE rangers who might be all-stars at EMS and Fire but are horrible LEOs. Or vice versa. It's a lot of skills to master and you have to spend a lot of your off hours and money on maintaining all the certs you are required to have.

At all parks the Chief Ranger (basically head of LE at the park) answers to the Park Superintendent. The Superintendent may or may not have an LE background and more often than not they don't which can lead to some issues.

Every park is its own little kingdom. There are parks where LE rangers basically play city cop and there are parks where LE rangers haven't made an arrest or issued a citation in two decades. Some parks are very proactive in regards to LE and have a great LE mindset. Some parks are stuck in the stay away from LE mindset because they don't want to offend visitors.

In order to even be consider the a permanent ranger job, you have to have at a minimum a cert. from the NPS Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program. There are only 7 community colleges that offer the training and you have to pay for it with you own money (with not guarantee of a job). In addition, you might have to be a seasonal LE ranger for years before you are competitive enough to get a permanent job.

When you finally do get a permanent ranger gig, you will have to wait for roughly two years (sometimes more, sometimes less) to attend FLETC's LMPT. After LMPT you will then go to a park and do FTEP. The whole idea of waiting two years to attend FLETC is ridiculous. What other agency has a two year wait for FLETC? A new permanent LE ranger should complete FLETC right away and then move into FTEP. There are LE rangers who worked for two years, went to FLETC, and then failed FTEP. The whole business model doesn't make much sense....

Comment

The whole business model doesn't make much sense....
                  You're not thinking like a bureaucrat. To them, it makes perfect sense:

-The employee has to pay for their initial training.
                  -The employee will work 90 day jobs for low wages for several years under the belief that someday, they will be rewarded with a permanent job.
                  -The employee will work two years in quasi-permanent status before attending LMPT.
                  -If the employee fails FTEP, by then the agency has gotten several years of work with little expenditure and minimal commitment.
                  -A big pool of seasonal employees wanting to live the ranger dream always awaits to keep feeding the machine.

The model has been criticized before, heck, going back 20+ years when the IACP was commissioned to take an independent review and make recommendations (which was very critical of NPS LE, especially the seasonal program). But, like everything else, money is the big decider. How many GS-5 seasonals can you hire for the cost of one GS-9 permanent? A BUNCH!

-Steven Wright

Comment

And another thing- if you're looking for a motivated employee who will do just about anything and not complain, not file an EEO, and (for the most part), not do something stupid that might jeopardize their future, then look no further NPS seasonals hoping to become NPS permanents. They will work without compensation or AUO, i.e.- responding off duty to a midnight car wreck. They will not sass their boss or question bad decisions. And if they get hurt on the job- easy solution- just terminate for failure to perform. There's no pesky workman's comp or health insurance to deal with. They truly are the most 'perfect' employees....

-Steven Wright

Comment

• zenryoman
                      zenryoman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ouch! Yeah, perhaps I should stay away from that career.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                    That article is talking about Special Agents, I was asking about Law Enforcement Rangers.

Comment

OK. Here's a 1801 story, just for you.

BLM Ranger Tells Jury How His Gun Was Stolen Before Steinle Killing

http://khsu.org/post/blm-ranger-tell...lling#stream/0

Now get this: five months later, he gets promoted! Classic DOI response to their eff ups is to rapidly promote, btw. Which is a big reason why things are the way they are. Accountability is a joke.

Federal Agency Promoted Ranger Five Months After His Gun Was Stolen and Used in Steinle Killing

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/10/20...einle-killing/

-Steven Wright

Comment

Addendum: as long as your fealty to the regime is unquestioned, accountability remains only a concept. The serial womanizers, the fifth of Jack a day sots, the corporate psychopaths, the terminal incompetents, the10am-2pm types- all get coddled and protected and promoted as long as they smartly salute the power structure. Just like in the DPRK, it's the ones who don't clap loud enough who get chained to the mortar pad....
                        Last edited by Ratatatat; 03-04-2018, 10:37 AM.

-Steven Wright

Comment

All,

Messaged k9james "As a former NPS LE Ranger avoid NPS at all costs. PM me for more details" but havent heard back.
                          I am once again reconsidering NPS because I may have an a path into a park that is home. The three most important things for me in my FLEO career are job satisfaction, location, and 6c covered. Thus far, I've managed to check 2 of those boxes in all my jobs; loved them, and covered positions. But I have never been able to check location. First job location was SWB only, so there was no chance of ever getting home.

Second and third gig checked job satisfaction and 6c, and had a possibility of home down the road, but after talking to guys with a decade in trying to get to the same state, I realized it wasn't going to happen/unlikely.

So the way I see it is this NPS slot, if it worked out, would check 6c, and for the first time ever, location. The last item, job satisfaction, TBD. But way I see it the potential to achieve all three is there.

I re-read all the posts in this thread, and looking for any additional opinions. Since I started this thread, I landed an 1811 gig that I honestly love and dont have any complaints so far, other than being OCONUS, having poor mobility, and when mobility options come up, a slim chance to get home. I've also had my first child since I started this thread, so the urge to get home to share the kid with grandparents is what led to me exploring options again. But ultimately, that isn't enough of a reason for me to take a job I will be miserable in.

EDIT: This would be obtaining a waiver to not have to go to LMPT. Not doing another bid at FLETC. Would only have to do the RPBTP and FTEP, if it worked out.
                          Last edited by battlewagon; 08-21-2018, 10:56 PM.
                          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Since I started this thread, I landed an 1811 gig that I honestly love and dont have any complaints so far, other than being OCONUS

So in the last year, you went from BP to 1811 job and then went overseas immediately??

I've known many people who've done overseas assignments. Typically they were able to chose the location of their choice upon return to the U.S. Is this not the case for you?

-Steven Wright

Comment

• battlewagon
                              battlewagon commented
                              Editing a comment
                              US territory, ARL 'approved remote location', so in the middle of nowhere, with a cost of living to match. And unpaid moves on and off. Those are definitely some the negatives of the location, but otherwise, cool place to be so far. But since it is not 'foreign' due to being a US territory, none of the priority placements when choosing locations for your return, paid moves, or any of the good parts of being outside the states apply. And as a double whammy, ARL is not the same as SCL 'severely challenging location', which guarantees you an office pick-list in 5 years.

• CCCSD
                              CCCSD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              BW...So...you’re in Texas then?

• battlewagon
                              battlewagon commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Me? No, not in the states.

• CCCSD
                              CCCSD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I was being facetious...due to your explaining your status.

Border Patrol Academy does not count.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13008 users online. 450 members and 12558 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X