300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Park Ranger (Protection), GS-0025-05/07

There are a few NPS Park Ranger Protection jobs open right now. Conservation LE has always interested me, and working outdoors gives me great satisfaction, which is why the Border Patrol fits the bill for me so well.

I have been speaking with a Ranger and he thinks that my federal authority as a BP Agent may equate to the training that is required to even apply for the job. The announcement states:

Applicants must meet one of the following criteria by the entrance-on-duty (EOD) date to be considered for these positions:
    • Currently hold, or have previously held (within the past three years), a National Park Service Seasonal (Level II) or full (Level I) law enforcement commission, or equivalent within the past three years.
    • Successful completion a Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program during the last three years, but have not yet received a National Park Service Seasonal (Level II) Law Enforcement Commission.-
    • Will successfully complete a Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program by the entrance on duty date from one of the approved participating academies found at https://aonpr29.wildapricot.org/Seasonal-Law-Enforcement-Training-Program. NOTE: This is not regular police officer training.
    The 'or equivalent' above (emphasis mine) is where he thinks that I may be able to qualify.

Does anyone familiar with the requirements know if my FLETC academy will qualify? And if not, just so I understand, the career path to get into this job is something like this?
    SLETP at one of the accredited community colleges = receive type two commission > apply for job, likely NTE 1039 seasonal > apply for permanent, get hired > sent to FLETC, and earn a type I permanent job.

Second question: Does your time as a Type II seasonal NTE 1039 or 11 1/2 months count towards retirement? If you do 2 years as a type II seasonal, does that count towards your 20/25 years to retirement?

Seriously giving this some thought, though having to quit my job now, go to training, and then potentially be a part time employee for a few years is definitely a drawback since I have a family to support.
    Last edited by battlewagon; 07-20-2017, 12:17 AM.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

The equivalent would be the FLETC LMPTP course or USPP basic course. They accept no other training.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Any insight to the other question:
      Second question: Does your time as a Type II seasonal NTE 1039 or 11 1/2 months count towards retirement? If you do 2 years as a type II seasonal, does that count towards your 20/25 years to retirement?

Only under certain instances will it qualify.

Are you willing to quit the BPA to sponsor yourself through an NPS level 2 academy? If so that seems stupid

Comment

Not to mention that there is the risk you WON'T get hired in the end.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        The equivalent would be the FLETC LMPTP course or USPP basic course. They accept no other training.
        Found this out the hard way.

This is why I have applied to the FS and BLM LEO Ranger positions that open up because they do accept LEO training to get hired by them. I guess they just know you can learn all the basic conservation stuff while at FLETC with the mixed class of rangers.

On a side note, I applied to the two big announcements FS had for their rangers and got referred for all of them 20+ spots but have not heard anything back as of yet. So off to CBP I go for that GS 12.

So for anyone looking into the Ranger jobs I would not really consider NPS unless you are willing to get their commision on your own dime. The Forest Service and Land Management don't have such strict qualifications.

For reference these were the FS Ranger spots I got reffered for
        https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459356500/
        https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459353000/
        Last edited by fathitman; 07-20-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          I am in on that one, but for the vacancies they had in the East Coast locations. But same, nada since referral. They person they picked is probably already at FLETC ha

Conservation LE has always interested me

NPS is not really conservation LE. Ask any ranger at the Arch or Liberty Bell. Or even Yosemite or Yellowstone.

It does not. Only counts towards A/L and S/L accrual time.

NPS seasonal jobs are great for kids just out of college who need to start building a resume and get some experience. They're fun and adventurous and pay peanuts but who cares when your 22 years old and all you own is a truck and a sleeping bag. Sometimes they lead to permanent NPS jobs or jobs with other agencies in two or three years. But sometimes 90 Day Wonders work for many many years, hoping the magic will happen for them but it doesn't, and one day they wake up, 40 years old, no retirement, no TSP, no health insurance, just memories of pretty sunsets over the mountains.

Go ahead and apply if you think this is where your heart lies, but DO NOT quit BP to attend a seasonal academy in hopes it will lead to a permanent NPS job. You'd regret that move big time.
        I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

You CAN be hired to these permanent positions without having already been to FLETC LMPTP course or USPP basic course or without having ever been a seasonal, but it is rare. I've seen a State Trooper get hired for a permanent NPS Protection Ranger position. They will then send you to the Academy once your hired.
          Last edited by ACO88; 07-23-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACO88 View Post
            You CAN be hired to these permanent positions without having already been to FLETC LMPTP course or USPP basic course or without having ever been a seasonal, but it is rare. I've seen a State Trooper get hired for a permanent NPS Protection Ranger position. They will then send you to the Academy once your hired.
            While you can be sent to NPS FLETC, it is rare for them to do so without being a seasonal. Also NPS will not do a lateral without LMPTP or the USPP basic course

Comment

For Lake Mead Recreational Area update:
              The Canyon District is a new District within the N.R.A. On October 1st 2017, the National Park Service assumed the law enforcement duties for Hoover Dam; the Hoover Dam Police Department has disbanded. What this means for Lake Mead N.R.A. in an increase in staff, a new patrol area, new responsibilities and new opportunities.

Canyon District is comprised of Hoover Dam, Willow Beach, Temple Bar and Meadview.

Work at Lake Mead can be as varied as the seasons. As the addition of Hoover Dam will bring new challenges to tackle, I can only give an estimate on the type of work to be conducted for that section.

Lake Mead in general is one of the busiest parks in the system averaging in the top few parks annually w/re: number of arrests, violation notices, EMS incidents and SARs.

Work environment:
              • Currently we are on a 5/4/9 schedule
              • Take home vehicles
              • Gov’t issued cell phone and tablet computer
              • Fitness equipment at many of the Ranger Stations

CANYON DUTIES- As a Canyon District Ranger, you will be based out of Hoover Dam. However, you will be expected to patrol any and all of the Canyon areas (as well as the rest of the park) at any given time.

Willow Beach- is extremely congested in the summer with high boating activity. You will be expected to endure temperatures often exceeding 120°. Marine patrol is a very strong emphasis.

Temple Bar- has a dedicated visitor base that is much slower than Willow Beach. Here again, boat patrol is a primary duty comprising about ½ of the work load. The other half is mostly backcounty related.

Meadivew- is one of the more remote areas of the park. Much of the work in this area involved back country patrol and resource crime and community policing.

Hoover Dam- sees several million visitors per year that are not a part of the NPS visitation statistics. You’ll be expected to proactively patrol the roadways of the dam and respond to requests for assistance from the contract security checkpoint and the Security Response Force. You will be responsible for enforcing the Bureau of Reclamation’s 43 CFR 423 as opposed to 36 CFR. All Rangers possess cross-delegation. If selected, it will be necessary for Rangers to rotate schedules on the dam. This includes early morning and late evening shifts. This schedule is not yet established and cannot be until the Canyon District is fully staffed. If you have questions about this, please email me.

SAR Work- The areas of White Rock Trail, Arizona Hot Springs and Gold Strike Trail comprises 90-95% of the land based SAR and is quite active from Oct 1 to May 15th. While these trails are general short at 2-3 miles, the elevation change is more than 1500 feet often on loose sand and gravel. All year long, marine SAR can be expected often involving long hours on the water and in heavy weather.

EMS/Fire: As a Ranger at Lake Mead you will be required to maintain certification as an EMT-Basic (Minimum), structural fire fighter I/II and wildland fire.

FURTHER INFORMATION
              HOUSING- This position is a non-required occupancy position, however park housing MAY be available on a bid-process. Currently, there may be housing available at Boulder Beach, Willow Beach and Temple Bar. The Las Vegas Metro area has an abundance of housing options.

Weather- There are only two seasons here; HOT and not cold. To make it as a Lake Mead Ranger, you must be able to patrol outside for several hours in extreme heat often reaching into the 120s.

Collateral Duties: At Lake Mead, you must perform the following duties aside from law enforcement: EMT-B (minimum), Structure Fire, wildland fire, MOCC boat operator. If you do not possess these certifications currently, you will be expected to complete this training soon after being hired.

Comment

• MetroEast
                MetroEast commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m confused, is there an open job announcement for this location? If so 0025 or 1801? I’ve looked and can’t find anything.

As a former NPS LE Ranger avoid NPS at all costs. PM me for more details. For BLM you must have LMPT or CITP. Regarding FS if your not a Vet you have no chance.

Comment

The guys at Gettysburg NMB seemed to like it
                Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I have always thought of this. I have a 3.65 GPA Bachelor's in Hospitality management, an associate's in travel and tourism and ten point vet preferred. However, no law enforcement experience. I want to do the seasonal academy but from what I hear to get a permanent post they also prefer wildland firefighting and EMT training. Quite a lot!
                  ATF IOI Applicant
                  Apply May 2017
                  Panel Interview August 2017
                  Fedex Package September 2017
                  SF86 E-QIP September 2017
                  E-QIP sent October 2017
                  ATF BI agent contact for SF86 add info. October 2017
                  Sit-down, BI investigation 10/28/2017. Adjudication?
                  Applicant Disclosure Form February 2018

DEA DI Applicant
                  Apply March 2017
                  Phase 3 exam taken September 2017. Passed
                  interview for November 2017.
                  Accepted COE Jan 2018.Medical in March

Comment

• hawaiitexas
                    hawaiitexas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You will get wild land fire and emergency medical responder training in the seasonal academy. If you think being a firefighter and emt is a lot, NPS is not right for you. You will also be expected to get certified and participate in structural firefighting at many parks.

• zenryoman
                    zenryoman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't mean "a lot" in a whining way. I mean that the academy had you pay extra and spend more time in addition to the standard academy they were offering. I believe I was looking at the Colorado one? Either way, I ended up going ATF IOI.

avoid NPS at all costs.

Smart counsel. Better yet, avoid all Interior Dept. LE agencies.

Interior does a lot of things right, LE isn't one of them though....
                  I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

Working in that ridiculous heat all day with that pay? No thanks

Comment

Just realize one thing.. those jobs posted above came at the cost of the Hoover Dam police being shut down

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13528 users online. 485 members and 13043 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X