300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSA Police recruits

Anyone else going to be starting with "the agency" police force this month?

I've heard great things. Only problem is that it's not a 6C federal law enforcement retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
      I've heard great things. Only problem is that it's not a 6C federal law enforcement retirement.
      Apparently the new Chief is very proactive and is attempting to make changes including enhanced jurisdiction and 6c coverage.

Comment

About damn time I like the sound of that.

Comment

That would be great for you all. I hope it works out.

Comment

Anyone recently hired as entry level or lateral?

Comment

Anyone on here in the process or on the job now? Lookin for some insight on this job

Comment

• 1RidgeRunner7
                1RidgeRunner7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here, are they 6c status? Last time I read on here it was in the works.

No 6c retirement like someone mentioned and like i mentioned before its mostly security oriented. You not gonna be making big time lockups or running code.

Comment

• Esco
                Esco commented
                Editing a comment
                Ridge runner 6C is 20 years or 25 years retirement. Instead of leaving at 62 1/2 at the very earliest.

• 1RidgeRunner7
                1RidgeRunner7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Esco Thanks for clarification. I had an idea of what it meant. I thought maybe there was more behind it, other than the whole 5 extra years.

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                The difference is the retirement calculation. You get the same retirement calculation for working 25 years 6c as you do 37 regular gov retirement. Plus social security supplement

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Plus an exception to 401k withdrawal IRS tax laws. Can withdraw it at 50 instead of 62 or 65 or whatever it is, no penalty. There are dozens of reason 6c is superior

Having been both non-6c and now 6c, work wise you may find no comparative difference, as this concept is purely a political ideology that is either supported or not supported by the Human Resources sections of whatever particular agency you fall under. I would not that general the 0083 Police series doesn’t meet the legal code in the USC to define themselves under position descrtion, were 1801 complaisance and investigation series do. This is not all inclusive, as most 0083 agencies in Washington DC area are 6c. It’s a strange thing the federal beast. However, career wise being 6c is generally advantageous. Standard FERS is something like 1% for every year you work until eligible to retire. 6c is 1.7% for every year up until retirement or it may be 20 years whatever comes first. Any non 6c time or military buyback can be added to this at 1%. Currently there is also an annuity supplement where they pay the difference until you are eligible to take out of social security also. So for retirement purposes it is better than regular FERS, but still not as good as many of the state pension plans for officers out there. Without looking into it and researching again that’s somewhat the just of it. Others my add to this. Some other incentives are most 6c agencies may be a bit more organized LE wise in correlation to how the agency perceives them. Non 6c agencies can purport that “you are security mindset” down on there minions on occasion. Not saying this doesn’t happen to 6c agencies as well. A big road block most officers in the Fed face is the mission of their agency. If it’s not a primary law enforcement agency they will always be viewed overall as some type of support mechanism. This happens in DoD, Land Management law enforcement, the special policing arms for operations such as NSA, FBI Police, CIA Police, etc. You have to realize you are primarily a security police officer, who has been given enhanced authority to perpetrate the extreme security measures vital to national security that regular security positions would not otherwise be able to navigate successfully. By and By career wise having 6c is something to seriously consider pursuing if we are not taking into account other aspects such as job satisfaction, family, location, etc. If you enjoy your job as a non 6c Officer don’t ever be the guy thinking the grass is greener in a 6c position. It might be, but it also might not be. I did more actual police work as a DoD Police Officer than I ever do as a 6c Officer.

Comment

• Esco
                Esco commented
                Editing a comment
                Totally agree with everything you said with exception being that most 0083 agencies in dc are 6C. Most aren’t. Only 6C in DC are SS UD, Capitol, Supreme Court, and park police. The other 30 something 0083s are regular FERS.

• 1RidgeRunner7
                1RidgeRunner7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Understood, thanks.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12409 users online. 403 members and 12006 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X