Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. They have no obligation to start you any higher due to your break in federal service. One day is considered a break.

3. From what I understand, is yes. Unfortunately, vacation time no.

4. Most likely.

Thats all I’m really knowledgeable of.

Side note: what agency were you with? And why’d you leave?!

Comment

Originally posted by MAA View Post
      1. They have no obligation to start you any higher due to your break in federal service. One day is considered a break.

3. From what I understand, is yes. Unfortunately, vacation time no.

4. Most likely.

Thats all I’m really knowledgeable of.

Side note: what agency were you with? And why’d you leave?!
      Just an FYI.. a break in service is actually 4 or more calendar days.
      “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by pissedoff View Post
        Hello,

These questions are for current and prior BOP employees :

I worked for the BOP 18 years ago and left as a GS-6 step 2 for another agency. I worked for the 2nd agency and left as a GS-13. I left the government all together and have been self employed for the last 9 years. I am currently in the final stages of getting back in with the BOP to stop the 6C 'clock' due to I am getting close to the mandatory age to get back in. The years that I had with the federal govt. was all 6c law enforcement positions.

So here are the questions I have:

1) I am coming back in as a GS-6 with the BOP. Can I ask for a higher step due to my last federal position was a GS-13. According to the Maximum Payable Rate Rule (OPM), an agency may give me a higher step?

2) When should I ask the hr person at the facility who is handling my personal file about a higher step? (before my start date or now?)

3) Will I get all my sick time back (I just read a federal document that stated all prior federal employees who separated will have all unused sick time restored)

4) Will I have to complete a probationary period (1 year) again?

5) Will my 2 years as a prior BOP correctional officer be counted towards seniority (bidding for shifts, vacation, etc.)?

6) Will my total of 12 years of 6c be counted towards future promotions in the BOP (GS-8, GS-9, GS-11, etc.) or just the 2 years with the BOP or none of it?

I know some of you are saying "Why is he coming back to the BOP and not another agency?" I am less than 6 months away of 'old man age' and I will miss the mandatory age requirement if I don't take this BOP job now.
        Long time Federal employe but never employed with BOP.

1 - I have had a couple of breaks in service and each time I was offered pay matching when I returned to government service (I was a step 10 each time).

3 - You should have your sick leave restored.

4 - More than likely be required to complete probation.

5 - That would depend on the union agreement. In the places I worked you would be able to count that time after probation.

6 - Don’t see how covered time in a different agency would count for future promotion.
        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• pissedoff
          pissedoff commented
          Editing a comment
          Well that’s interesting each time you had a break in service when you returned they gave you step 10.

1) Each time you came back did you return to the same department or branch?

I left the BOP after only being there less than 2 years and transferred to DHS. When I left DHS I was a GS13. I wonder if the BOP will even consider giving me a higher step.

2) When would you recommend me asking the HR person for a higher step? Now or do I wait until I get a start date? (I have completed all hiring steps and just waiting for my background with OPM)

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Besides the military ai have worked for three Federal civilian agencies in 2 different departments. Each time I was stepped out and there wasn’t any discussion/asking for it on my part. I would inquire before you EOD though. They should be able to tell you if you will be starting as a step 10 or not. I believe the agencies have great latitude/discretion on this subject. Not only did I start out as a step 10 (because I held a higher grade) but as I moved up in GS/GL grades I went to a step 10 at the next grade and then a step 6 and then a step 2 at FPL.

You would be given a seniority date that includes your previous BOP time, regardless of the length of your break.

Comment

I posted this question on another section of this forum so if you already read this disregard:

Question for current and prior BOP correctional officers.

I am well aware that CO's (correctional officers) are not permitted to carry government issued firearms off duty nor do they have arrest authority. From my understanding CO's are given 6C coverage (20 year FERS retirement) due to how dangerous the job is.

So my question is can CO's carry personal concealed firearms off duty under H.R.218?

H.R.218 defines a LEO as: Section 926B(c) defines “qualified law enforcement officer” as someone who is authorized by the law (of his or her state) to enforce the law and make arrests; is authorized by his or her agency to carry a firearm; is not being disciplined by the agency; meets agency standards for qualifying in the use of a firearm; is not intoxicated; and is not prohibited by other federal law from possessing a firearm.

LEOSA applies to employees of governmental agencies who:
          • Are authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution of or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under 10 U.S. Code § 807, (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
          • Are authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
          • Are not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
          • Meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
          • Are not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
          • Are not prohibited by federal law from receiving a firearm.
          So by reading this I would think BOP CO's can not carry (unless they have a state issued concealed weapons permit) due to the fact CO's do not make arrests, do not enforce any laws (not off duty), is not authorized by the BOP to carry firearms off duty, does not meet BOP standards for qualifying in the use of a personal firearm.

Any one have any information on this? I keep hearing people tell me BOP are allowed to carry without a state concealed weapons permit. I think these people are wrong.The BOP ID doesn't say anything about being permitted to carry a firearm let alone off duty. I feel its just a matter of time before an off duty BOP CO is arrested by a local cop for carrying a concealed firearm without a valid concealed permit with the state they live in.

Comment

• Mhuck
            Mhuck commented
            Editing a comment
            Those people are right. BOP Correctional Officer is a LEOSA covered position and staff are Federal credentialed law enforcement officers. (Prior BOP employee).

Originally posted by pissedoff View Post
          I posted this question on another section of this forum so if you already read this disregard:

Question for current and prior BOP correctional officers.

I am well aware that CO's (correctional officers) are not permitted to carry government issued firearms off duty nor do they have arrest authority. From my understanding CO's are given 6C coverage (20 year FERS retirement) due to how dangerous the job is.

So my question is can CO's carry personal concealed firearms off duty under H.R.218?

H.R.218 defines a LEO as: Section 926B(c) defines “qualified law enforcement officer” as someone who is authorized by the law (of his or her state) to enforce the law and make arrests; is authorized by his or her agency to carry a firearm; is not being disciplined by the agency; meets agency standards for qualifying in the use of a firearm; is not intoxicated; and is not prohibited by other federal law from possessing a firearm.

LEOSA applies to employees of governmental agencies who:
          • Are authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution of or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under 10 U.S. Code § 807, (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
          • Are authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
          • Are not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
          • Meet standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
          • Are not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
          • Are not prohibited by federal law from receiving a firearm.
          So by reading this I would think BOP CO's can not carry (unless they have a state issued concealed weapons permit) due to the fact CO's do not make arrests, do not enforce any laws (not off duty), is not authorized by the BOP to carry firearms off duty, does not meet BOP standards for qualifying in the use of a personal firearm.

Any one have any information on this? I keep hearing people tell me BOP are allowed to carry without a state concealed weapons permit. I think these people are wrong.The BOP ID doesn't say anything about being permitted to carry a firearm let alone off duty. I feel its just a matter of time before an off duty BOP CO is arrested by a local cop for carrying a concealed firearm without a valid concealed permit with the state they live in.
          All BOP staff can carry off duty and are covered by LEOSA. They are federal law enforcement officers and do have limited arrested authority that is on duty. They don't need a carry permit.

Comment

• pissedoff
            pissedoff commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for clearing that up.

Can you be hired with challenged credit history ?

Comment

The BOP has always been picky regarding credit. If it is currently good and nothing in arrears you might be good. You will likely be asked to explain how you got in a position to hurt your credit, (Divorce, medical issues, etc.). Just have it good now and be able to explain the past.

Comment

• Nypd8339
              Nypd8339 commented
              Editing a comment
              I finished the process but have to submit documentation supporting the credit history . Will they still hire even tho your working on building your credit ?

The BOP does not look at your credit score. The only thing they look for is anything negative on your credit report. If you are behind on payments or accounts in collection you still can be hired but must have some kind of approved payment plan to take care of your bad debt. I seen people hire with recent bankruptcy on there credit history.

Comment

• Nypd8339
              Nypd8339 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info I received a tentative offer the day of the interview but was subject to bring in documentation of payment plans or payments . So I’m sending in documentation as I resolve it

BOP is an easy job if you know how to handle inmates. I worked at an FCC (USP, MED, CAMP) for five years before going to CBP.

Most of the guys I worked with were trying to leave to CBP as well but all failed the poly. Being a GL-7 and having to compete for your 8 is ridiculous. Working mandatory OT was probably one of the worst things about the job. Most of the time they notified you that you got forced OT 10 mins before your shift was going to end so now you had 8 more hours to sit in that prison.

Once you establish yourself as an officer it is smooth sailing. All the inmates know how you like your housing unit to run and will stay out of your way and not cause problems for the most part. The only time you are going to do any real physical work is packing inmates out of your unit, extended lockdown, dealing with fights, or when working in a bigger SHU since you are running around doing feedings, laundry, rec times, shaving time, etc..... Once in awhile you might get called for a cell extraction team but if you are a smaller officer you probably won't get called to do that. They always just got all the bigger officers onto the team. They did not care if you were SRT or DCT they just got to biggest officers on the yard suited up.

95% of my days were spent keeping my housing unit in check and doing my required rounds and shakedowns. As long as you did that you will never get fired or have any issues. Be fair to inmates but do not be a pushover. Follow exactly how policy is and after awhile you can run your unit your way and nobody will care. Also when they implemented 2 officers per housing unit the work got even easier to get done. If you and your partner got along it was a fun time but plenty of times I had guys/gals I just did not like working with so those shifts dragged.

If you plan on making it a career I would suggest trying to get into food service or recreation and get your GL-9. If not good luck having a good retirement with GL-7 maybe GL-8 pay.

It is a good agency to get your foot in the door and get your federal time to start counting.

TLDR: If you have LEO experience look into other agencies like CBP. If you have no expierence or are still in school BOP is a good step in the door. But I would suggest not staying too long in the BOP since you will get comfortable and miss out on other great LEO agencies out there.

If anyone has question related to BOP, CBP. I will be around to give the best response I can
            Last edited by fathitman; 12-06-2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Camelbak
              Camelbak commented
              Editing a comment
              This post nails everything. I did BOP for two years then bounced to another agency. It's a good place to start and the experience you get will help you throughout your LEO career. I wouldn't recommend staying there (unless you really like it) because you can get paid much better and have a better work/life balance at another agency.

Originally posted by fathitman View Post
            BOP is an easy job if you know how to handle inmates. I worked at an FCC (USP, MED, CAMP) for five years before going to CBP.

Most of the guys I worked with were trying to leave to CBP as well but all failed the poly. Being a GL-7 and having to compete for your 8 is ridiculous. Working mandatory OT was probably one of the worst things about the job. Most of the time they notified you that you got forced OT 10 mins before your shift was going to end so now you had 8 more hours to sit in that prison.

Once you establish yourself as an officer it is smooth sailing. All the inmates know how you like your housing unit to run and will stay out of your way and not cause problems for the most part. The only time you are going to do any real physical work is packing inmates out of your unit, extended lockdown, dealing with fights, or when working in a bigger SHU since you are running around doing feedings, laundry, rec times, shaving time, etc..... Once in awhile you might get called for a cell extraction team but if you are a smaller officer you probably won't get called to do that. They always just got all the bigger officers onto the team. They did not care if you were SRT or DCT they just got to biggest officers on the yard suited up.

95% of my days were spent keeping my housing unit in check and doing my required rounds and shakedowns. As long as you did that you will never get fired or have any issues. Be fair to inmates but do not be a pushover. Follow exactly how policy is and after awhile you can run your unit your way and nobody will care. Also when they implemented 2 officers per housing unit the work got even easier to get done. If you and your partner got along it was a fun time but plenty of times I had guys/gals I just did not like working with so those shifts dragged.

If you plan on making it a career I would suggest trying to get into food service or recreation and get your GL-9. If not good luck having a good retirement with GL-7 maybe GL-8 pay.

It is a good agency to get your foot in the door and get your federal time to start counting.

TLDR: If you have LEO experience look into other agencies like CBP. If you have no expierence or are still in school BOP is a good step in the door. But I would suggest not staying too long in the BOP since you will get comfortable and miss out on other great LEO agencies out there.

If anyone has question related to BOP, CBP. I will be around to give the best response I can
            Probably the best way to sum up the BOP. People do get stuck because it’s easy, mind numbing work for the most part. Even as a 9, I’m still grinding to get out. Agencies with automatic 12 or 13’s are the only way to go.

Comment

Well said! Long term in the BOP is best done in Facilities, Recreation, or food service. Unit team is good too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12301 users online. 438 members and 11863 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X