Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming a Civilian Crime Analyst for a Police Department?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Civilian Crime Analyst for a Police Department?

Hi all,

I'm currently a criminology and criminal justice master's student. I'll be graduating in a few months and I'd like to go the crime analyst route. However, I can't seem to find any police departments with crime analyst job postings, only information on how to become an officer. Does anyone have any tips on how to find these jobs or get my foot in the door?

I'm in Massachusetts, by the way.

That's probably because analyst positions only exist in large agencies and even then, each agency may only have one or two positions. This means there is not a lot of turnover and rarely a vacancy to fill.

Your best bet is to find a local agency that actually has crime analyst positions, contact one of them and ask if they know of anyone doing local testing.

The International Association of Crime Analysts has a list of about 20 vacancies, but they are all over the country

http://www.iaca.net/resources.asp?Cat=Job

Simply doing a google search of "crime analyst jobs" will also bring you a ton of responses.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Start as a Records Clerk. Promote from within.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You'll probably need to be willing to move a bit. From what I've seen, most crime analyst jobs are in the south and California. Also, while your bachelor's is good, and your masters is great and will absolutely help you, you'll probably need to obtain a crime analyst certification to be taken seriously. When I was first wanting to get into law enforcement, I wanted to start as a crime analyst before pursuing sworn positions to see if I actually liked to career path. Yeah, I know now that was kind of a stupid way of thinking but I was a recent graduate from my second masters program and had very little practical work experience in a law enforcement setting so forgive me lol

After getting rejected from easily 50 crime analyst/criminal intelligence analyst positions across the country, I realized that the common factor was that most wanted the actual law enforcement intelligence or crime analyst certification, so I got both (FSU does an online one in LEI, and I got the CA cert from a community college in 6 credit hours) and the game changed for me. I never took a crime analyst job, I went to sworn positions afterall but the certs definitely helped me be more competitive in those processes as well, and suddenly my rate of receiving interviews went from 0% to over 50%, which is a bit better than one could reasonably expect.

So if you want to go the LEI/CA route my best advice for you is check your local community college public safety department and see if they offer a CA cert, or look into Florida State's online LEI certification because it comes with crime mapping/GIS training as well. Good luck bro! Hope this helps you in your endeavors.
        ATF SA -
        Test Score: Passed
        Progress: Waiting scheduling PTT

US Secret Service SA - SA-NC001-17
        Progress: Passed ELAC, awaiting poly

DEA SA - BA2017-1
        Progress: Completed panel, medical, awaiting PFT and Poly

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9171 users online. 349 members and 8822 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X