Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bad idea to begin an 1811 career in your mid-thirties?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esco
    replied
    You'd be surprised what you can in a 20 year career. If you're willing to move a few times you'll potentially be SAC/ASAC level sooner than you think.

Leave a comment:

• Jwebb514
    replied
    Good point. I'm about to graduate law school and work as an attorney for a major company in a fairly low cost of living area making around 130k a year with a good retirement program. I could easily work here, or in a similar position, until well into my sixties and beyond. So I guess what I'm really wanting to know is - would it be a bad move for me to give up this job in my mid-thirties for an 1811 spot, which would mean an initial pay cut and likely moving to a more expensive area, and then be out of work two decades later?

I would think most people who are in contention for an 1811 spot would be similarly successful, especially those who are in their thirties, so that's why I thought this question might be generally applicable to a lot of people on this forum. But, by all means, please feel free to share your thoughts on my specific situation.

Leave a comment:

• espantoon
    replied
    You'd have to supply more details about your current work, salary, 401(k)/retirement, and post-career options.

The general answer is: it depends on the above factors.

Leave a comment:

• Is it a bad idea to begin an 1811 career in your mid-thirties?

I am looking at the prospect of beginning an 1811 career in my mid-thirties. Although it's something I've always wanted to do, I'm beginning to question the wisdom of it. It seems like a poor decision for someone to leave a good job in their mid-thirties to work as an 1811 when you will be forced to retire two decades later. That doesn't give one a lot of time to build up rank/seniority before forced retirement, which could cause the 1811 retiree to end up back on the job hunt for a third career in their late fifties in an effort to make ends meet. It seems like it may be a smarter to move in terms of finances and overall stability to just stay put by this age. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11784 users online. 460 members and 11324 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X