300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good, Bad, and Ugly of 1811 Agencies

Curious to hear from those with experience, specifically about the DEA, HSI, USSS, ATF, FBI, or OIG. What has been the good, the bad, and the ugly of these agencies, in reltation to one another in your experience or interactions?

This is one of many threads you should read:

https://forum.officer.com/forum/empl...dea-dss-or-hsi

Comment

Originally posted by Avon View Post
      Curious to hear from those with experience, specifically about the DEA, HSI, USSS, ATF, FBI, or OIG. What has been the good, the bad, and the ugly of these agencies, in reltation to one another in your experience or interactions?
      OP, I've got to ask: Is this one of those questions that is designed to help you identify your future employer?

Comment

No, I just find it curious to hear about other peoples experiences with these agencies. Since its very subjective to the individual person and the agencies all have different missions, I just enjoy hearing about others experiences and why some people compare apples to oranges in comparing the various agencies in asserting one is better than another for them. Its interesting to hear people compare them and the reasons they give.

Comment

No, I just find it curious to hear about other peoples experiences with these agencies. Since its very subjective to the individual person and the agencies all have different missions, I just enjoy hearing about others experiences and why some people compare apples to oranges in comparing the various agencies in asserting one is better than another for them. Its interesting to hear people compare them and the reasons they give.
          So . . . you're not shopping around for the ideal agency? I wonder where I got that idea.

Hello All,

I'm interested in a career in LE and wondering how much of a handicap or challenge it will be to qualify as someone who is right handed but left eye dominant? I'm really interested in many agencies that go to FLETC. From what I've gathered on these forums, the instructors are top notch there.I also read that it would be best to go down there without any prior lessons to avoid any bad habits. As someone who has never shot before, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Still not "shopping" am still curious.

Comment

No. That's shopping. Each is completely different in mission and scope.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Apples and oranges. Sure shopping.

Comment

Apples and oranges. Sure shopping.
                  Again with the fruit? Get a new idiom.

Comment

Yeah. Whatever. In the meantime, here's a shinebox. You can ask questions while you shine shoes at the Fed.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

All these 1811 jobs really depend on your assignment , your boss, And what city you have/city you want.

Comment

Lol sure. .

Comment

Esco definitely

Comment

1. On one hand, it's all the same. Get a kernel of information from a source. Go interview people. Issue subpoenas and data mine records. Conduct surveillance. Search warrants for the home and business. Write thirty reports. Indictment. Arrest. Trial or Rule 11 plea agreement. Repeat.

2. On the other hand, it's world's apart. Some smaller agencies are money phat for their 1811s and have newer cars and more toys. Big agencies less so. But as long as you have the basic tools, the shiny cars and toys really don't matter that much, despite how flashy they look.

3. You might think work relationships would be more genial in a smaller outfit. That's not necessarily the case. Lots of fish in a big fish tank get along better than a just a few fish in a small fish bowl. It's simple biology. It can be a big deal.

4. Another small agency dynamic: there is a tendency among the niche agencies to sometimes 'over-compensate' the value of their cases. I get we are all doing God's work and the future of our great nation depends on it, but just because someone bought some captive-raised red-eared sliders at a pet store and tried to smuggle them out meets a felony standard, it doesn't necessarily mean that's the appropriate course of action (if we are talking about wild turtles- that's a different story). When little cases get spun into big cases solely because the agency wants stats or attention, not because of actual harm, not only does it undermine the intent of the law, ultimately it diminishes the effectiveness of their mission.

5. A final small agency dynamic, especially where there is a high degree of institutional arrogance: things can get very strange. For whatever reason, 'big' personalities thrive in an agency of 200 compared to 2,000 or 10,000. 'Big' personalities includes big personality flaws. Normality becomes a vacuum where people who are disturbed, unstable, even borderline psychotic are the ones who 'rise' into leadership. Serial Womanizer? Raging alcoholic? Yes, they exist in bigger shops but the institution is more likely to confront the problem, or at least find a pigeon hole to put them to minimalize their damage. In the smaller shops, these types have fewer places to go so they get shuffled around, leaving a pile of ashes at every stop.

6. In the end, it's all a roll of the dice. Your dream agency may reveal itself to be a national embarrassment with questionable institutional values and low caliber people. The agency you placed at the bottom of the list may reveal itself to be a professional organization with genuine camaraderie and a sense of shared purpose. Everyone's story will be different.

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Great post, Ratatatat! I couldn't agree more with number 3.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10698 users online. 434 members and 10264 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X