Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI Special Agent and work experience and any general info about the job.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrooklynBorn
    replied
    The FDNY is my dream job the others are back ups. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• tp2020
    replied
    Well I certainly hope they see my qualifications in a good light. I've done everything I can think of to make myself hirable. Funny enough learning Arabic wasn't that hard for me although like I said I lived there and used it daily so that helped a lot. Nothing wrong with the FDNY but hopefully one or the other will come calling you.

Leave a comment:

• BrooklynBorn
    replied
    Originally posted by tp2020 View Post
    Im in a similar boat Im 30 and yes my dream job is FBI. Just like every guy at one point in their lives but Im a realist and Im applying to anything and everything. Right now Im finishing up my thesis for my Masters in Middle Eastern and Islamic studies with Language (its a mouth full I know). For the past 4 years I have traveled all over the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe for my studies so Im hoping this will help. No my masters wasn't 4 years it was two but I spent the other time learning Arabic, for the negative folks on here . I hope you hear good news BrooklynBorn, also the CBPO is hiring and they pause your age if you ever want to transition over.
    Thanks bro, obviously after hearing your qualifications, I realize that I stand even less than a zero chance lol.
    Was just curious, didn't know much about the competition or job in general. I was just researching it.

Honesty learning Arabic is as impressive as it gets.

CBPO is what I was originally researching.
    I will probably be in either the FDNY academy or DOC academy this summer. Counting my lucky stars for FDNY but this is the last class after taking the test 5 years ago.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-23-2017, 09:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tp2020
    replied
    Im in a similar boat Im 30 and yes my dream job is FBI. Just like every guy at one point in their lives but Im a realist and Im applying to anything and everything. Right now Im finishing up my thesis for my Masters in Middle Eastern and Islamic studies with Language (its a mouth full I know). For the past 4 years I have traveled all over the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe for my studies so Im hoping this will help. No my masters wasn't 4 years it was two but I spent the other time learning Arabic, for the negative folks on here . I hope you hear good news BrooklynBorn, also the CBPO is hiring and they pause your age if you ever want to transition over.

Leave a comment:

• BrooklynBorn
    replied
    Originally posted by scott50 View Post
    Also, Border Patrol is hiring like crazy... with you're describing as experienc, you have almost a zero % chance of getting in over people who have years of intelligence, law, accounting, and law enforcement experience. As mentioned above, your best bet is to get in with a federal agency you know will pick you up before the age of 37. If you are serious about the FBI, you will do just that. That stops the clock and gives you the experience the bureau is looking for.
    Thanks bro I was actually looking into customs and border patrol and that's why I ended up asking the FBI question after browsing federal jobs.

Sorry if I am being repetitive but wanted to thank you for the positive response.

Leave a comment:

• BrooklynBorn
    replied
    Originally posted by espantoon View Post

OP, read and re-read this post. You may be able to articulate that you have the minimum experience level to apply. You will not be able to articulate that your qualifications will prioritize your appointment before others.

As you said, you have been trying to get competitive jobs for years with no results. Instead of applying to 100 agencies and hoping for the best, why not spend your time making yourself a more appealing candidate?
    Thanks for the positive response. I was referring to FDNY and PAPD as the competitive jobs. I was just exploring FBI while I was originally looking into customs, wasn't under the impression I was going to get it, but I would be silly not to inquire as to the requirements and apply to as many as possible. I've taken about 4 other tests in the past that are panning out currently. Should be in an academy this summer with my back up department.

Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-23-2017, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NYCopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Esco View Post
    Best bet is Capitol Police. LoLolol. Y'all police are too funny and so cruel. I was thinking what y'all are saying But didn't wanna destroy the guy. NFG.
    Being that he is from NYC I would suggest NYPD. You just have to take the test before your 35 I believe. They will hire someone right out of their parents basement, with no drivers license, life experience, etc. Most of them I stop honestly don't even speak English....so ya...

Leave a comment:

• Esco
    replied
    Best bet is Capitol Police. LoLolol. Y'all police are too funny and so cruel. I was thinking what y'all are saying But didn't wanna destroy the guy. NFG.

Leave a comment:

• NYCopper
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post

honestly i could not agree with your response more. 34 years old and only now deciding to jump into Law Enforcement....
    Probably because we are a part of the same gun club..

Leave a comment:

• ShockTroopDevilDog
    replied
    Originally posted by NYCopper View Post

It says alot about a person that they can exist, in one of the most expensive cities in the world, for 16 years beyond school age, and never work a full time job. I can guarantee a background investigator for any agency, but particularly the FBI, is going to wonder what he has been doing during this time period. It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but one that is going to take some serious explaining to move beyond. Add that most of his competition has been working those 16 years in law enforcement, getting advanced degrees, and fighting in a couple of wars; It is unlikely that waking up at 34 and thinking, it would be cool to be a cop (or an Special agent), is going to be much of a qualification. Call me a glass is half empty kind of guy if you like, but I am just a realist.

And...he has been trolling several other threads asking similar questions.
    honestly i could not agree with your response more. 34 years old and only now deciding to jump into Law Enforcement....

Leave a comment:

• NYCopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraud Investigator View Post
    That's what the man said. No need to start bashing him.
    It says alot about a person that they can exist, in one of the most expensive cities in the world, for 16 years beyond school age, and never work a full time job. I can guarantee a background investigator for any agency, but particularly the FBI, is going to wonder what he has been doing during this time period. It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but one that is going to take some serious explaining to move beyond. Add that most of his competition has been working those 16 years in law enforcement, getting advanced degrees, and fighting in a couple of wars; It is unlikely that waking up at 34 and thinking, it would be cool to be a cop (or an Special agent), is going to be much of a qualification. Call me a glass is half empty kind of guy if you like, but I am just a realist.

And...he has been trolling several other threads asking similar questions.
    Last edited by NYCopper; 02-23-2017, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• m.p.c
    replied
    The FBI, and most 1811 positions, would not hire you based off that background. Not to mention most of the age cutoffs for federal agencies is 37. Your best bet is to firstly get a fulltime job, and work on applying to a local PD. Make yourself a better candidate.

Leave a comment:

• Fraud Investigator
    replied
    That's what the man said. No need to start bashing him.

Leave a comment:

• NYCopper
    replied
    Originally posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Im sure this has been talked about on here, but I couldn't find any recent or specific info in the search, I apologize if I am using it wrong.

Anyway I was curious about FBI special agent. It says you need three years full time work experience and although I am 34, I technically haven't had a full time job. Ive had a security job at Madison Square Garden for about 8 years after I graduated with a management degree and the economy crashed. I work there several days a week (2-6) with some doubles, but I don't have set schedule and sometimes only work 1-2 days a week, thats a union job and the union has other venues that I also work for. I do get benefits which I see is one of the requirements of the FBI's idea of what a full time job is. I have worked seasonally for my family's accounting business but that doesn't count. So does anyone know if I should try to apply anyway? Anyway around it, Can i take another deferral job and then transfer before the age cut off of 37? thanks

I have been working on getting very competitive civil service jobs for several years but none of them are panning out.
    34 years old and youve never had a full time job?

Leave a comment:

• espantoon
    replied
    Originally posted by scott50 View Post
    Also, Border Patrol is hiring like crazy... with you're describing as experienc, you have almost a zero % chance of getting in over people who have years of intelligence, law, accounting, and law enforcement experience. As mentioned above, your best bet is to get in with a federal agency you know will pick you up before the age of 37. If you are serious about the FBI, you will do just that. That stops the clock and gives you the experience the bureau is looking for.
    OP, read and re-read this post. You may be able to articulate that you have the minimum experience level to apply. You will not be able to articulate that your qualifications will prioritize your appointment before others.

As you said, you have been trying to get competitive jobs for years with no results. Instead of applying to 100 agencies and hoping for the best, why not spend your time making yourself a more appealing candidate?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9442 users online. 375 members and 9067 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X