300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol Agent GL-9 Announcement # BPA GL9 17-4

I would really appreciate any information from individuals currently serving in this capacity. I have been referred as a GL9 for the Border Patrol in South Texas and I am in the process of making a choice on which direction I want to go as I grow in my career. I have a few options and want to get as much information as possible so I make the best decision. Does anyone have any information as to where most likely they are filling spots there? To my understanding that region is from the Rio Grande all the way to the Gulf Coast... that is a lot of possible assignments. Further more is there a difference in the role I would be performing as GL 9 vs a person coming in at entry level GL 5 to 7? Additionally what is the shift structure like, is there take home vehicles, and is this covered under LEAP?

https://forums.delphiforums.com/borderpatrol

This site will be able to answer more of your questions. I too have been in the hiring process for the past few months with BP.
    Last edited by Levithane; 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

You will not get a take home ride, with nearly 20,000 BP agents that would be impossible. BP agents dont get LEAP, we use to get AUO which was 25% same as LEAP, but we lost it about 2yrs ago. I really can't begin to explain our new pay plan but you will never miss what you never had so I wouldn't even worry about it. You will be stationed somewhere in Texas and plan to stay there for at least five years realistically.

I highly recommend you read the Honorfirst.com website as well as the forum that the other member posted lots and lots of good information there. Good luck

sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. The duties are all the same for any pay grade. Seniority will dictate some of the more desirable duties, such as K9, boats, horse patrol, ATVs, ect ect
      Last edited by DiverB72; 02-14-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
        You will not get a take home ride, with nearly 20,000 BP agents that would be impossible. BP agents dont get LEAP, we use to get AUO which was 25% same as LEAP, but we lost it about 2yrs ago. I really can't begin to explain our new pay plan but you will never miss what you never had so I wouldn't even worry about it. You will be stationed somewhere in Texas and plan to stay there for at least five years realistically.

I highly recommend you read the Honorfirst.com website as well as the forum that the other member posted lots and lots of good information there. Good luck
        Thank you for the feed back. Understanding the pay opportunity is definitely very important as the base GL9 pay by itself is not enough to warrant a career change for me. Locality pay is also something Id like to know but I am aware until I would get a assignment that is not something that can be specifically answered. Is there a average locality increase for South Texas?
        Last edited by Trispengel; 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
          https://forums.delphiforums.com/borderpatrol

This site will be able to answer more of your questions. I too have been in the hiring process for the past few months with BP.
          Will check this out, Thank you for your help. Good luck in your process

Comment

So basically the new pay system that we are on means you will work your eight hours and then work an additional two hours after that and you get 15 or 20% added to your check. It's not true time and half OT, and when we lost our AUO we lost what was called FLSA (fair labor standards act). I lost about $8500 a year when AUO went away.

I don't know what your current salary is, so I can't say if it's a good idea for you or not. I know about when I was hired, my first year was the only year I made less than $50k, and the majority of my first year was academy. After that I have always made good money and $90K+ is doable.

Comment

The BP has been very good to me, but like many with my time in, I'm ready to leave. Hopefully I will be at another agency in the coming months, or working for an airline

Comment

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
                The BP has been very good to me, but like many with my time in, I'm ready to leave. Hopefully I will be at another agency in the coming months, or working for an airline
                ICE should be hiring soon, and I'm sure a lot of current BPA's will be making the switch (your experience would make you a good candidate). I myself have put in apps with a few other agencies in conjunction with the BP one.
                Last edited by Levithane; 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Take the job but never stop looking for a career change to another agency. I loved my time with the Patrol but could not imagine being 45-50 years old and doing it. The Patrol changed a lot while I was there and in ways that it's hard to explain. It's easier to think of the Patrol once you realize that you are assigned to your station and that's it. If your station sucks then you may hate your life. You may have a 2 hour commute to the station or you may have a two hour drive to the line from the station.

Shifts are different at each station. Some rotate every pay period, others every quarter, and others every 6 months. Don't get caught up in the negativity or else the Patrol will chew you up and spit you out.

There is nothing like being a PA anywhere I can think of. Good luck.

Comment

I was told by some co workers, as a USBP candidate with a GL-9 offer I will not be required to take the entrance exam? does this sound correct? Is there a separate test that I will be required to take instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Trispengel View Post
                      I was told by some co workers, as a USBP candidate with a GL-9 offer I will not be required to take the entrance exam? does this sound correct? Is there a separate test that I will be required to take instead?
                      I don't know how accurate that statement is. Unless something has changed with the new administration, everyone still has to take the entrance exam. Part of the test is there to assess your knowledge of Spanish (or your ability to learn Spanish through taking the ALT), as a GL-9 you'll still need to prove your competence or ability to learn.
                      Last edited by Levithane; 02-16-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post

I don't know how accurate that statement is. Unless something has changed with the new administration, everyone still has to take the entrance exam. Part of the test is there to assess your knowledge of Spanish (or your ability to learn Spanish through taking the ALT), as a GL-9 you'll still need to prove your competence or ability to learn.
                        If you are referring to the latest announcement that just closed and were found qualified, then you are correct; there is no test. This was the announcement for military/law enforcement. I'm in the process now for this announcement and asked the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by ELCID05 View Post

If you are referring to the latest announcement that just closed and were found qualified, then you are correct; there is no test. This was the announcement for military/law enforcement. I'm in the process now for this announcement and asked the same question.
                          Yes I am referring to the most recent previous military/law enforcement announcement. I'm very surprised there is no entrance exam based on the requirement to speak Spanish. Were you told any other information that is unique to this announcement? do you know if it is still the full academy?

How far are you in the process? I just got scheduled for medical myself.
                          Last edited by Trispengel; 02-17-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trispengel View Post

Yes I am referring to the most recent previous military/law enforcement announcement. I'm very surprised there is no entrance exam based on the requirement to speak Spanish. Were you told any other information that is unique to this announcement? do you know if it is still the full academy?

How far are you in the process? I just got scheduled for medical myself.
                            I finished my medical and have the PT test scheduled. It's moving pretty fast for a federal hiring process.

Comment

The hiring process is super easy beside the poly which guys have problems with but I never failed one myself.

Also about the spanish I have been told you really don't get tested on it and most BP guys I know can't speak a lick of spanish.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9957 users online. 482 members and 9475 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X