300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too old?

I am going to be attending Police officer academy and I am 38 now and will be 39 by the time Im finished. What agencies can I get employment from? I already contacted my local police and they said Im too old.

The big issue is the civil service laws in your area. In NY I believe that 38 is the cut off ...... but there are ways around them if you have a sponsor.
    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

I've known a few late thirty/early 40-somethings who pulled off later age entries into LE. One was in the Navy for over 20 years and before he was hired, he was clear that he intended to work 10, maybe 15 years for the department. You would think that would be a game ender but the department was cool with it. I guess they valued his experience over longevity. Others were guys who always wanted to be in LE, but kept putting it off for one reason or another.

Your best bet is probably smaller departments that don't have the same degree of restrictions the bigger departments have when it comes to hiring practices. I say this knowing there are bigger departments without age restrictions, like when LAPD hired 59 year old Edward Olivares in 1994:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ficer-olivares

Unfortunately, things didn't quite work out for Mr. Olivares, but don't let that dissuade you.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/O...ts-3042826.php

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Feds will hire some positions over the age of 38. Border Patrol, CBP Field Operations and possibly ICE offer age waivers to age 40. Former military have what amounts to a blanket waiver. If they're hired they can for a full 20 year career regardless of age at retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Geezer View Post
          The big issue is the civil service laws in your area. In NY I believe that 38 is the cut off ...... but there are ways around them if you have a sponsor.
          And the cutoff is lower for SP. I think its 29, unless you have military time.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Head south. No age limits.

Comment

My academy has people in it over 40. It's not unheard of for people over 50 to go through an academy. I'm not sure of specific laws or policies in your area, but in general, as long as you can make it through the hiring process (PT test, medical) and the academy (physically intensive), you shouldn't have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by lexus45812 View Post
                I am going to be attending Police officer academy and I am 38 now and will be 39 by the time Im finished. What agencies can I get employment from? I already contacted my local police and they said Im too old.
                I'm confused, are you already in the process of attending a police academy? Or are you saying you want to go to the police academy? You're statement was not too clear
                stay humble

Comment

I am 53 years old. Two years ago I was the CEO of a company located in the Caribbean.
                  Fast forward a year and a half - I self sponsored and entered the Academy along with 23 folks, most of whom were recently departed from military service. All in their 20's.
                  I graduated at the top of the class through no magic feat other than sheer determination.
                  So I began throwing applications out there. Last week I was hired by a Sheriff's department with a great benefit and pay package.

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE THAT IS NEGATIVE.
                  . IT CAN BE DONE

Are the cards in the deck stacked against you? Probably.
                  So play a better hand than the other players.

My 2c worth...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5794 users online. 154 members and 5640 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X