X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Originally posted by cbpagi27 View Post
    Tell you what, the FWS staff are a family which I've never seen before in a federal agency. I think the size of the OLE office lends itself to the creation of a close knit group. Feels good to not be considered just another number.
    Uh yeah, that's how it used to be. Back in the Good Ol' Days.

Things began to change, oh about 12-13 years ago. It was subtle at first: little draconian steps that eventually became big draconian steps. Then even the model of success changed: sycophants and bullies were rewarded, regardless of skill or competency. The primary mission shifted from protecting the resource and those in the field to protecting the power structure. At all cost.

Now, instead of taking care of their own, they eat their own.

What has happened is a damn shame, and those who witnessed the transition can now only shake their head in silence and look at the floor.

Leave a comment:

• cbpagi27
    replied
    Tell you what, the FWS staff are a family which I've never seen before in a federal agency. I think the size of the OLE office lends itself to the creation of a close knit group. Feels good to not be considered just another number.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Originally posted by hangman View Post
    Did I "dodge the bullet" in terms of making a good decision to discontinue the process?
    Depends on how things worked out for you. Contentment is relative, right?

Refuges is a different animal than OLE. Most guys are still able to work independently and run about the great wide open everyday in boats and trucks and deal with less of the silly internal politics than the poor guys in OLE.

If your ultimate goal was to be an 1811 with OLE, these days your odds are much better as a "non-traditional" candidate (i.e.- non-game warden). Heck, a TSA screener probably has a better chance than a FWO right now. The transition away from people with natural resource backgrounds started some years ago, and what they often ended up with were "careerists"- those whose primary motivation was not protecting the resource, but their own self-interests and ambitions. It's a damn shame and the reason for much of the current state of OLE dysfunction.

Not that there aren't downsides to Refuges. Fewer managers have LE backgrounds now than back in the day. Mobility is tougher than before centralized hiring was instituted. That may not seem like a big deal but if you get assigned some backwater duty station in Middle of Nowhere, North Dakota, but wish to get to beautiful coastal Oregon, well, you may wishing in the wind and snow for awhile.

The freedom of working solo in hook and bullet country may seem inviting but there can be real drawbacks. Like when a militia of armed seditionists take over your duty station, and you're out there on your own, hanging in the breeze, while the decision makers sit in their far off Ivory towers. Good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

• hangman
    replied
    Last edited by hangman; 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    I keep waiting for news that Representative Chaffetz is holding a congressional hearing calling this agency on the carpet, like when he took a blowtorch to NPS last year for how they coddled and protected their unfit ding dongs in positions of power. There will be a more than a few employees watching C-span that day, snickering as the director, OLE chief, and maybe a few others squirm under the lights and camera as the truth gets revealed....

Leave a comment:

• ArmySgt2014
    replied
    Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
    Yes I am.

The national/centralized hire has changed since it's inception about 10 years ago, so some of the things you read are obsolete.

The "training refuge" situation is gone. Now you'll go thru FLETC, NCTC, FTO (typically two different refuges/complexes, in many cases in different states), then your at your duty station.

Regarding duty stations. Ultimately it's up to the Chief. But they know a happy officer is a good officer. The first couple national hires you were assigned a refuge with no comments by you. Now it's a little more choosing by the officer, but it's still up to the agency. Just remember this, these duty stations are available because no current USFWS FWO wants it! These same duty stations were available via internal lateral transfer several months ago and that's why they'll be filling it via the national hire. My point? Chances are the duty station isn't going to be the best in the agency.

Keep in mind that USFWS is NOT stovepiped like USFS. At 95% of the refuges the FWO is supervised by a non-LE person, meaning you may very well be reporting to someone who has no clue about LE. Zone Officers manage the LE programs, not the FWO themselves. Because of this depending on the refuge you may have your hands tied when it comes to LE. Some managers see their FWO more as a refuge security officer then LEO, but on the other hand some managers are hands off and their FWO is writing citation after citation, going on details, working off refuge lands, etc.

Make sure your ready for the PEB during the DC interviews. It's amazing how many people show up and fail the PEB. If you know you wont pass then tell the agency before you go so they don't waste money on you. If you barely pass and are offered a job, then work your a** off in the month and half you have between DC interviews and FLETC...
    Thanks for the input. I'm not worried about the PEB, I was for a second on the sit and reach, until I was shown how they perform it. But I asked the interviewer the same question while I had her on the phone, and it was mostly verbatim of what you said. So, I guess we'll see how DC goes next week.

Leave a comment:

• wildlife97
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmySgt2014 View Post

Are you NR Leo?
    I've been researching the process for a little over a week and have found conflicting intel. Some say that after the phone interview, USFWS will fly you to a face to face, others say that after the initial phone interview, you have a second and then you go to the face to face? All reimbursable by USFWS or provided by USFWS.

As far as getting a primary duty station, I've read that the refuge manager will pull who they want from a list provided, but I've also read that you (candidate) are asked to choose from the list i.e top three? Can anyone clarify?

I also read that once you graduate FLETC and NCTC, you go to a FTO refuge "training refuge," I've read that you either stay there until the position or funds are available for you to go to your chosen/given primary duty station or I've also read that you have to stay there until you reach GL-9?

I just want to clarify information as I have a wife and children and always try to plan ahead.
    Yes I am.

The national/centralized hire has changed since it's inception about 10 years ago, so some of the things you read are obsolete.

The "training refuge" situation is gone. Now you'll go thru FLETC, NCTC, FTO (typically two different refuges/complexes, in many cases in different states), then your at your duty station.

Regarding duty stations. Ultimately it's up to the Chief. But they know a happy officer is a good officer. The first couple national hires you were assigned a refuge with no comments by you. Now it's a little more choosing by the officer, but it's still up to the agency. Just remember this, these duty stations are available because no current USFWS FWO wants it! These same duty stations were available via internal lateral transfer several months ago and that's why they'll be filling it via the national hire. My point? Chances are the duty station isn't going to be the best in the agency.

Keep in mind that USFWS is NOT stovepiped like USFS. At 95% of the refuges the FWO is supervised by a non-LE person, meaning you may very well be reporting to someone who has no clue about LE. Zone Officers manage the LE programs, not the FWO themselves. Because of this depending on the refuge you may have your hands tied when it comes to LE. Some managers see their FWO more as a refuge security officer then LEO, but on the other hand some managers are hands off and their FWO is writing citation after citation, going on details, working off refuge lands, etc.

Make sure your ready for the PEB during the DC interviews. It's amazing how many people show up and fail the PEB. If you know you wont pass then tell the agency before you go so they don't waste money on you. If you barely pass and are offered a job, then work your a** off in the month and half you have between DC interviews and FLETC...

Leave a comment:

• ArmySgt2014
    replied
    I interviewed this morning. I thought I blew it, but I guess I am my own worse critic as I was received an email for a face to face interview. I'm feeling blessed.

Leave a comment:

• Revilationz
    replied

For the PEB the 25% is passing for each test. Everything is pass/fail. You don't have to pass the body composition test however. Just for reference, the NPS and I believe USFS also do not require passing the sit and reach test.
    That would explain why my former USFS PTD Instructor could not do sit and reach, while demonstrating the PEB.

Leave a comment:

• Revilationz
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmySgt2014 View Post

Are you NR Leo?
    I've been researching the process for a little over a week and have found conflicting intel. Some say that after the phone interview, USFWS will fly you to a face to face, others say that after the initial phone interview, you have a second and then you go to the face to face? All reimbursable by USFWS or provided by USFWS.

As far as getting a primary duty station, I've read that the refuge manager will pull who they want from a list provided, but I've also read that you (candidate) are asked to choose from the list i.e top three? Can anyone clarify?

I also read that once you graduate FLETC and NCTC, you go to a FTO refuge "training refuge," I've read that you either stay there until the position or funds are available for you to go to your chosen/given primary duty station or I've also read that you have to stay there until you reach GL-9?

I just want to clarify information as I have a wife and children and always try to plan ahead.
    I graduated FLETC LMPT May 2016. My class with 95% Park Rangers, with 2 DOD from my hiring agency. However, the class before us was entirely made up of USFWS. I did have the opportunity to speak to many of them through the duration of the academy and most were waiting to the very end to find out the duty stations they were going to receive. After completing it they remained in Glynco for one additional week of training before heading off to the additional Federal Wildlife Officer Course. However, I am not sure how the hiring process played out for them, I do remember that most of them were terribly disappointed with duty assignments. There was obvious personality differences between them and the U.S Park Service. Park was mostly pro-rangers, a program of recently graduated college students and a lot of LMWFA hires. USFWS seemed almost entirely made up of veterans recently out of the military.

Leave a comment:

• fathitman
    replied
    Currently a GL-7 with BOP. Have 5 years as a MP with the USMC and a year as a state trooper under my belt. Have the disabled veteran points and was referred nothing yet.

Leave a comment:

• ArmySgt2014
    replied
    Originally posted by Revilationz View Post

Good old FLETC! If any of you go, you will have a good time in LMPT. Feel free to ask any questions as the process progresses. Just FYI, the current FLETC LMPT instructors for ORT are very motivated and love LOTS of bur-pees!
    Are you NR Leo?

Leave a comment:

• Revilationz
    replied
    Originally posted by T-rexGM View Post
    Got the call for phone interview today and my references are getting called as well. As for the timeline of getting people to FLETC by April... that seems to be screaming fast, never heard of anything like that..
    Good old FLETC! If any of you go, you will have a good time in LMPT. Feel free to ask any questions as the process progresses. Just FYI, the current FLETC LMPT instructors for ORT are very motivated and love LOTS of bur-pees!

Leave a comment:

• Revilationz
    replied
    The referral emails for the USWS Federal Wildlife Officer (posted on USAJOBS as Land Management LEO) came out a couple weeks ago. According to the chat with the FWS LE Chief a couple weeks ago on their facebook page a phone interview will happen in a couple weeks, in-person interviews in mid-March and FLETC in late April.

Has anybody been contacted for an interview?

Regarding the PEB bench press portion I know the bench at FLETC is a single fulcrum bench. Does anybody know what type of bench (free, machine, smith) USFWS uses for their PEB during the interview/hiring phase? I've heard some say they used free weights and others say a machine...

Thanks and good luck!
    If I am not mistaken you have previously stated you are employed by USFWS sir? I am curious what the process generally is after initial hiring for an individual who has already attended LMPT? I may be assuming here but is there a 3 week course in West Virginia (Federal Wildlife Officer). I remember the class ahead of me was entirely USFWS and they were all desperately "competing" for assignment locations, which I think they found out towards the end.

Leave a comment:

• T-rexGM
    replied
    Got the call for phone interview today and my references are getting called as well. As for the timeline of getting people to FLETC by April... that seems to be screaming fast, never heard of anything like that..

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8491 users online. 378 members and 8113 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X