300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment history.

I have been doing a large amount of research into different LE agencies and have narrowed my picks down to the state of Oregon. Not entirely sure which agency I would work with, but I used to live in Oregon and definitely want to move back. From all the agencies I have read about, and different things I have read regarding the background process, employment history is the one thing that really sucks for me. I am a student and have held many jobs, 9 to be exact. As well as a trade school I attended for 5 months and came into an industry with little to no jobs (trade was commercial diving, or underwater welding). Also, I am a former military kid and we moved around a lot. I am not trying to make excuses, I just want advice on bettering my job history and resume so LE agencies see that I am committed. Is there any advice on how to create a better employment background for myself? Would volunteer work help? I am currently at a great job that really works with my school.

Originally posted by Daiki68 View Post
    I have been doing a large amount of research into different LE agencies and have narrowed my picks down to the state of Oregon. Not entirely sure which agency I would work with, but I used to live in Oregon and definitely want to move back. From all the agencies I have read about, and different things I have read regarding the background process, employment history is the one thing that really sucks for me. I am a student and have held many jobs, 9 to be exact. As well as a trade school I attended for 5 months and came into an industry with little to no jobs (trade was commercial diving, or underwater welding). Also, I am a former military kid and we moved around a lot. I am not trying to make excuses, I just want advice on bettering my job history and resume so LE agencies see that I am committed. Is there any advice on how to create a better employment background for myself? Would volunteer work help? I am currently at a great job that really works with my school.
    What is your age?

What are your qualifications?

What are you bringing to the table aside from a desire to be a police officer?

Comment

Originally posted by espantoon View Post

What is your age?

What are your qualifications?

What are you bringing to the table aside from a desire to be a police officer?

Certified in diving practices, along with rigging and construction backgrounds.

Currently in school for health sciences and I am getting my EMT-B cert next semester to get a second part time as a first responder.

Comment

The thing I have heard from LE friends or background investigators is that even if you have a large employment history, be able to explain why. Did you leave to make more money? Battling layoffs? Did the company close? Did you get fired from any for less than favorable reasons? The one way to work on it now is to simply not switch jobs. If you begin a background investigation, you don't want to have to mention a new job every time you meet so try to put your best foot forward and remain at a job until hired by an agency.

I myself have had my share of jobs, 10+ actually, going back the last 9 years. My first was a retail job, obviously entry level and over time I needed more income so I moved around, battled layoffs in manufacturing and didn't have a return date, went on deployments, companies closed their doors, or I just simply needed more money and wanted advancement opportunities. Being able to explain movement of all of this makes it easier. Don't bother hiding it because it will come up.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you weren't terminated for doing something illegal, like theft or worse. It's hard to have a flawless work history with no gaps or shady bosses.

Comment

Originally posted by Daiki68 View Post

Certified in diving practices, along with rigging and construction backgrounds.

Currently in school for health sciences and I am getting my EMT-B cert next semester to get a second part time as a first responder.
            Okay. Let's all take a deep breath.

You're twenty-two years old. You're still in school. Instead of worrying about the number of jobs you've had or moving around, try to focus on making yourself a better candidate. You're going to be competing with people who have prior relevant experience, completed internships at those agencies to which they are applying, served in the military, etc.

The replies above do not offer bad advice in terms of addressing your reasons for switching jobs, but what is missing is the nod to what is lacking. How are you even going to get to the point where your background is being examined without being a competitive applicant?

Please keep in mind that minimum standards are just that: the minimum which allow you to apply - not to get hired. If you want to be picky about your agency (and it sounds like you do), the shotgun approach of applying everywhere and seeing where you get picked up isn't going to work for you. You have to figure out how to make yourself competitive. Do you want to acquire a critical skill, such as a second language that is heavily used in your area? Do you want to gain relevant experience, such as getting a law enforcement position in a job series or geographical area which is undesirable (and therefore critically understaffed)?

The question now is whether you are going to decide to work on becoming a more competitive applicant, or if you want to keep treading water and hoping to get picked up before you go under.

To answer your earlier question: volunteer work that you've done over the course of your life looks great and proves a commitment to making the world around you better. Volunteering for a few hours a month after you've sent out your applications isn't going to convince anyone that you're a better candidate. You should do volunteer work because you want to help others, not because you want to get something out of it. Also, for what it's worth, volunteering to walk puppies at the pound isn't going to do much for your career. Volunteering to help with victims of domestic abuse or the homeless population in your area may give you some insight into the people you will encounter every day in your work.

Maturity goes a long way. I'm not going to call you 'tiger' or 'sport', I just want you to appreciate that many people apply to multiple departments over the course of several years before their careers begin. If you want to cut down that wait time, you'll have to do something else to rise to the top of the pile. Even then, it may take you quite some time to get where you want to be. Be patient, decide on your goal, and then decide how you will get there.

Comment

Thanks for this advice you guys. It really helped. I don't have bad work history with places in terms of being fired or being a bad employee. The common one was having to be available for my family due to their health problems. Nothing like being a bad employee. I definitely want to do more for the world, and found some great opportunities within my community to volunteer at parks doing greeting, or just simple maintenance. Doing Fish and Game is actually a desired career path. I am willing to do what it takes to achieve my goals, Study every night, workout everyday, and just make a better presence within the community. There is a lot that can be accomplished, and it is all about doing it. The job I am at now is great, and I have no intentions on leaving. It is teaching me a lot about having patience and understanding of ones situation (I work at a condo complex). I have a drive to do much more though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10858 users online. 479 members and 10379 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X