Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOLCOTTVILLE — A Military Police officer allegedly impersonated an Indiana State Police trooper in Wolcottville Friday, a Wolcottville Police Department spokesman said today.

Sgt. John Kelly of the Wolcottville Police was on patrol with an officer-in-training Friday evening when he noticed a red Ford 500 with light-emitting diode lights mounted on the dashboard and inside the back window. The vehicle looked like an unmarked police cruiser, Kelly said.

Kelly responded to a call in Rome City, he said. Afterward, he pulled into a Front Street parking lot, and the red car did also. The driver — Jason Allen Kent, 28, of Schneider — got out, Kelly said. He was wearing a camouflage military uniform and had an ‘MP’ patch on his shoulder.

Kent allegedly identified himself as an Indiana State trooper who was on his last night before entering active duty in the U.S. military, where he was a Military Police officer, Kelly said.

Several other officers in the area also responded, Kelly said. After they left the scene, the group, including Kent, went nearby to have coffee.

The officers asked Kent about his service as a state trooper, Kelly said. “The stuff he said didn’t make sense,” Kelly added. He was saying things that didn’t match correct ISP procedure, and said he worked in counties that aren’t in the same state police district, Kelly explained.

Kent appeared to be just “blowing smoke,” Kelly said. Since he hadn’t done anything to act as a police officer, he let him leave after the coffee and conversation.

But about 15 minutes later, Kent allegedly tried to act as a police officer, Kelly said.

“I made a traffic stop,” Kelly said. Kent allegedly pulled up behind him in the red sedan and turned on its flashing lights — which were yellow, not police red-and-blue.

While Kelly’s ride-along officer took care of the traffic stop, Kelly confronted Kent. “I went to ID him and he started back-pedaling,” Kelly said. He allegedly said, “I’m a state trooper because I’m an MP.

After Kelly identified Kent, he called state police. Area troopers were in rural Shipshewana for a methamphetamine bust. The ISP confirmed that Kent was not an officer in the state police and sent officers when they were free to take him into custody.

An investigation determined that Kent is an MP in the Army National Guard, Kelly said. He reportedly facing military discipline for his actions.

Kent was booked into the Noble County Jail Saturday at 2:35 a.m. on a charge of impersonating a public servant. He was released Saturday at 8:24 a.m. on $4,500 bond.

Impersonating a public servant by impersonating a law enforcement officer is a Class D felony, punsihable by six months to three years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000

I'm not 100% sure what to glean from all this. Either there was a big dumb misunderstanding where no good deed went unpunished, or you were running around with flashing yellow lights playing state trooper, or it was a quiet night in Wolcotville, Indiana, population 988, until you showed up.

I suspect people on the hiring boards will have the same dilemma.

The $64,000 question that you'll have to answer is why did you twice inject yourself into police stops, while in MP uniform, claiming to be an ISP trooper.

If there's a plausible answer, then it's one thing.

It's another if this was flaky 'wanna-be' behavior. Especially at 28 years old.

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      "Mistake"? You're really going with that? You did it ON PURPOSE. There was nothing mistaken about it.

Your kind are the ones who make headlines down the road. I stand by my posts.
      So you stand by previously posted and totally erroneous claims in this post. Sexual predator??? Really???

Also I guess some humans aren't capable of empathy, oh wait, isn't that a character trait usually required by LEO's, if you are one, maybe you should look in a mirror with your last statement. Sometimes people do things for reasons outside of just doing them ON PURPOSE, they are called making mistakes, bad judgement calls, etc...

I really don't appreciate inconsiderate trolls. I've gotten the help and answers I needed. I won't be responding to you any longer, you don't derserve my respect anymore since you fail to show it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

I'm not 100% sure what to glean from all this. Either there was a big dumb misunderstanding where no good deed went unpunished, or you were running around with flashing yellow lights playing state trooper, or it was a quiet night in Wolcotville, Indiana, population 988, until you showed up.

I suspect people on the hiring boards will have the same dilemma.

The $64,000 question that you'll have to answer is why did you twice inject yourself into police stops, while in MP uniform, claiming to be an ISP trooper.

If there's a plausible answer, then it's one thing.

It's another if this was flaky 'wanna-be' behavior. Especially at 28 years old.

I don't know why I'm fighting to justify myself for a simple question in a forum.

I didn't twice inject myself into any stops. I stopped to talk with the officers in a parking lot, officers that I knew, or should I say one of them. Sat down and had coffee with them, discussed various police related topics, which at the time I had already served as a reserve officer and wasn't ignorant to LEO topics, and most of what was discussed is public knowledge, but for some reason they thought was suspicious. It was at this point that I did state I was an ISP officer but getting ready to deploy. Before we all left I told them I'd back them up if they wanted me to, as they were concerned about a vehicle occupied by someone with a suspended license, and known to be troublesome to which they verbally responded, "ok".

After that we all left, I saw him initiate stop on said car and I pulled in behind with yellow emergency lights.

I was in my MP uniform because I was leaving that night for deployment to Texas for training and an over seas deployment to Iraq. I didn't wear the uniform as prop to add to my impersonation, I just didn't think of all the variables when I chose to speak ignorantly.

The trooper who took me in said if I would have never stopped on the traffic stop I wouldn't have any issues. Hindsight is 20/20.

You could call it wanna-be behavior, I wanted to be apart of that tight knit group again. The national guard wasn't cutting it for me after I had just left 10 years of active duty service. I have no excuses, I made a mistake by thinking a title would give me solice way to be accepted. It was a very confusing time, and I wish I would have just never had been there at all.

Comment

Well, I do give you credit for owning your actions. And the trooper was right: had you not stopped, none of this discussion would be taking place.

Many departments/agencies will automatically disqualify because of this. Others will take it into account as part of a bigger picture.

Let me give an example: I have a friend, a few years younger, with a most stellar resume. College degree with good GPA. Army ROTC in college. Several years as an infantry officer: Ranger tab. Paratrooper tab. A couple of tours in Iraq. Several very attractive skillsets.

After his service ends, he begins applying with various agencies. In the background phase, he admits going to Amsterdam when in college 10 years earlier and doing what college kids do in Amsterdam. No Amsterdam laws were broken. Because it was outside the U.S., no U.S. laws were broken.

Because he was in ROTC at the time, it was a BIG issue with many of the agencies. He gets rejection letters stating not only NO WAY, but your name is going into a master file and if you apply with other agencies, they will automatically DQ you as well. This went on for a couple of years and was very discouraging, especially since he had a family to feed and was working schmuck jobs to put food on the table.

But he kept at it, and lo and behold, an agency hired him with full knowledge of the situation. What was a big deal to the other agencies was not a big deal to them. His skill sets were exactly what this agency wanted, and outweighed whatever baggage came with the previous poor decision.

So give it a shot. See what happens.

ISP and Wolcotville PD are probably out of the question, though.

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

ISP and Wolcotville PD are probably out of the question, though.

Yeah, they aren't on my radar at all. Thanks again for all your input, and your understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.kent1983 View Post

Updown, thanks for your candid input. I like to see folks that take the time to really dig in and give an honest opinion. You only have to type in my name my charge and the year to find that link...not hard...and with that it is THE only thing you can find, trust me, I have researched myself also.

I want to kind of go backwards here and address your 3rd point first.

I would hope you agree that the media tends to blur the lines sometimes, of course with the help of those involved not properly informing. The only thing that article got correct was the charge, and the order of events...unfortunately what was alleged and quoted was a farce...this makes it a "he said, she said" thing which I don't want to go into. I owned up to my mistake, did my time, paid my dues. It was literally THE ONLY offense in my record other than a couple speeding tickets when I was younger. High profile enough? It wasn't even aired on the local news, it was just a simple news report via digital platform, which yes can still be very damaging, but in the last 5 years when I've inquired to people about it, it has mostly been forgotten.

For your other 2 points, I completely understand where you are coming from, and how that is perceived. As I stated in my original post though, I have the "authorization/go ahead/all clear" to apply and be considered into AST in 2021. So I'm hoping that with time passing, and my continued improvements that I might still have a chance.

Last note here, I saw Battlewagon's reply also, and thought that Border Patrol might be a good option also.

Either way, I appreciate your feedback and insight. I think I'm going to just continue to better myself until 2021 at which point I will apply everywhere I think I might stand a chance. If they all fall through due to background check then I will hang up the spurs.

If the forum is still around, and my post is still around, I will most definitely update everyone with what happens
              While you may not have had any other issues besides this, this is still a very big issue to overcome. In my opinion, with an arrest on your record, you're trying to convince an agency that you did it but you've changed, or that you never should have been arrested in the first place. Either way, you're looking for a panel of cops at a new agency to basically disagree with the cop that charged you before. This may be easier said than done.

If I remember the SCOTUS ruling correctly, misdemeanor crimes relating to false statements are admissible as exculpatory evidence for 10 years after the conviction. I'm not familiar with any of the agencies you're expressing interest in, but I'm assuming that they're using that standard as their bare minimum to allow you to apply. Something for you to consider...you weren't a teenager convicted of a misdemeanor fake ID charge, you were a grown adult charged with a felony that was reduced to a misdemeanor. That has a few different implications for you. You had a lot of life experience and age at the time to know full well what you were doing. You also will be 38 in 2021 and minimally eligible according to the BI standards of that agency. Do they have an age limit? I hope you realize that there is usually a lot of competition for LE jobs, especially the more desirable ones, so the contenders are usually rated well above the minimum standards. Your education would rate you very high in one category, but your legal issue is significant in my opinion and would put you at the very bottom of the background category.

I don't know why I'm fighting to justify myself for a simple question in a forum.

I didn't twice inject myself into any stops. I stopped to talk with the officers in a parking lot, officers that I knew, or should I say one of them. Sat down and had coffee with them, discussed various police related topics, which at the time I had already served as a reserve officer and wasn't ignorant to LEO topics, and most of what was discussed is public knowledge, but for some reason they thought was suspicious. It was at this point that I did state I was an ISP officer but getting ready to deploy. Before we all left I told them I'd back them up if they wanted me to, as they were concerned about a vehicle occupied by someone with a suspended license, and known to be troublesome to which they verbally responded, "ok".

After that we all left, I saw him initiate stop on said car and I pulled in behind with yellow emergency lights.

I was in my MP uniform because I was leaving that night for deployment to Texas for training and an over seas deployment to Iraq. I didn't wear the uniform as prop to add to my impersonation, I just didn't think of all the variables when I chose to speak ignorantly.

The trooper who took me in said if I would have never stopped on the traffic stop I wouldn't have any issues. Hindsight is 20/20.

You could call it wanna-be behavior, I wanted to be apart of that tight knit group again. The national guard wasn't cutting it for me after I had just left 10 years of active duty service. I have no excuses, I made a mistake by thinking a title would give me solice way to be accepted. It was a very confusing time, and I wish I would have just never had been there at all.
              The article says that military disciplinary action was pending, and based on what you wrote I'm assuming you missed the date of your training orders, and possibly your deployment. Those are all things that will be a mark against you, if that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Updown View Post

While you may not have had any other issues besides this, this is still a very big issue to overcome. In my opinion, with an arrest on your record, you're trying to convince an agency that you did it but you've changed, or that you never should have been arrested in the first place. Either way, you're looking for a panel of cops at a new agency to basically disagree with the cop that charged you before. This may be easier said than done.

If I remember the SCOTUS ruling correctly, misdemeanor crimes relating to false statements are admissible as exculpatory evidence for 10 years after the conviction. I'm not familiar with any of the agencies you're expressing interest in, but I'm assuming that they're using that standard as their bare minimum to allow you to apply. Something for you to consider...you weren't a teenager convicted of a misdemeanor fake ID charge, you were a grown adult charged with a felony that was reduced to a misdemeanor. That has a few different implications for you. You had a lot of life experience and age at the time to know full well what you were doing. You also will be 38 in 2021 and minimally eligible according to the BI standards of that agency. Do they have an age limit? I hope you realize that there is usually a lot of competition for LE jobs, especially the more desirable ones, so the contenders are usually rated well above the minimum standards. Your education would rate you very high in one category, but your legal issue is significant in my opinion and would put you at the very bottom of the background category.

The article says that military disciplinary action was pending, and based on what you wrote I'm assuming you missed the date of your training orders, and possibly your deployment. Those are all things that will be a mark against you, if that was the case.

I'm aware of the difficulties that will arise, and age limits for the specific department I'm interested in (AST) has no age limit as long as you can preform the physical and mental demands of the job. Some departments take into account my military service and will either grant waivers or subtract my military service from my age requirement, or some other funky math.
                As for the military, I was never "disciplined", I just never deployed in order to deal with court dates and such, and there is no record in my military file to reflect such. It shouldn't have any affect on things.
                Thanks for all your wisdom and knowledge.
                Last edited by jason.kent1983; 01-30-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I don't know why you are either, there really isn't any justification for your actions because you should have known better.

Stop calling it a mistake, it wasn't. For some reason you decided to install "emergency lights" in your personal car. Presumably to stop people and respond to incidents that you had no business or authority to. Then one night you executed something you had been planning to do, which was aparently pretending to be Jack Reacher. You were acting way outside of your limited authority as a MP and lied about being a state trooper.

The criminal charge is one thing, but that situation is so painfully stupid, and really speaks volumes about your character and lack of sense and judgement. When the details of that situation are poured over during a hiring process they are going to think you are an idiot.

Its great that you owned up to it, but I doubt you will be able to get back into LE.

Comment

So you stand by previously posted and totally erroneous claims in this post. Sexual predator??? Really???

Also I guess some humans aren't capable of empathy, oh wait, isn't that a character trait usually required by LEO's, if you are one, maybe you should look in a mirror with your last statement. Sometimes people do things for reasons outside of just doing them ON PURPOSE, they are called making mistakes, bad judgement calls, etc...

I really don't appreciate inconsiderate trolls. I've gotten the help and answers I needed. I won't be responding to you any longer, you don't derserve my respect anymore since you fail to show it.
                    I don't need, nor want any respect from you. You are THE example of a complete ****wad who has no business in LE. Ever.

I'm betting there are quite a few T stops in your POV, up to and including females. I'm betting you played the "I'm a cop" game many times, especially in bars.

Your EPIC FAILURE to own your crime shows just what a POS you really are. Thank God these posts are discoverable, because any BI with their salt will check here.

Youve been schooled. Go flip burgers. You're done.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8327 users online. 297 members and 8030 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X