Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's more to this than saying he was a cop...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks much brightshape, not sure what else to say other than what a great reply post.

Comment

CCCSD you are correct, there are a few minor details that aren't discussed, but they won't be blasted here. I'm open to any help and willing to build a rapport and share more detail in private message if you would like, but you have to take the first step.

The main objective I seek will not shadow these other minor details, but it's good to know if a person stands a chance at all.
        Last edited by jason.kent1983; 01-29-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I'm not interested. You are not someone I would assist. Sexual predators aren't going to be cops.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            I'm not interested. You are not someone I would assist. Sexual predators aren't going to be cops.
            Whoa there CCCSD, where did you see sexual predator in any of this post and thread? It was impersonation of a public servant.
            First you question my validity on "just saying" I was cop, and now claim I'm a sexual predator. I'm not sure what your malfunction is or what brought you to such a completely incorrect assumption.

Maybe read throughly before typing ignorance in a forum and presumptiously threatening someone's livelihood like that.
            Last edited by jason.kent1983; 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Border Patrol will likely take you. Though that is guessing since you haven't outlined what actually happened
              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by jason.kent1983 View Post
                Hello, first I apologize ahead of time if this topic has already been discussed recently, any additional links are appreciated.

I have wanted to be an LEO since I was 8, I got the chance to serve in an emergency management agency, a VIP organization, and for a short time was a police reserve, served 12 years in the U.S. Army as an infantryman, combat engineer, and military police traffic investigator, then I made probably the biggest mistake of my life, and late in life at age 28.

I have a basic understanding that class a misdemeanors if minor are sometimes overlooked, but I've also seen some more severe ones waived also.

Long story short- I was convicted of one in 2011, not domestic violence or drug related. I said the wrong thing to the wrong person, it would be seen as a moral turpitude issue by most departments. I'll leave it at that unless someone wants to message me directly outside an open forum.

I did 1 year of probation, and paid all my dues before I was even finished with probation. I have not said or done the wrong thing ever since. I volunteer in my community and always look for other opportunities to volunteer also. Since my trouble I went to college and received a bachelors degree, and I am 7 credits shy of my masters degree.

I also understand that time gone by is a help with getting hired after a misdemeanor.

I have looked at the Alaska State Troopers, and Colorado police departments in the last few years, and also have a letter/waiver from AST stating I'm aloud to participate in their academy if I'm hired considering my conviction, but only after 10 years after conviction date. That is 2021 for me.

I don't want one huge mistake to define me, and would like my chance to get back to LEO work.

Is it possible?
                What other departments would be lenient?
                What other things should I be doing and preparing for?
                Anything constructive that anyone can contribute?
                Ok, well I guess I will lay it on the table as suggested in another comment. I only refrain from saying anything on a public forum because it is quite embarrassing, and some human mistakes leave us feeling horrible even 5 years later.

The crime of moral turpitude was impersonation of a public servant. It is seen as a felony, but my charges were reduced to the class a misdemeanor because I was in no way trying to act like a cop. I was amongst other officers when I was questioned and I simply stated I was one, when at the time I was not.
                I'm not sure how it exactly went down. My lawyer requested the reduced charge due to lack of criminal history and details of the events. I accepted a plea for a class a misdemeanor, never saw a plea for it to be reduced. Not sure if it is the same thing.
                Based on what you’ve said, it sounds like this was you:
                http://kpcnews.com/article_4f0f1ac1-...f0910fc94.html

In my opinion, you have three very big hurdles to overcome. One, you were charged with a felony. Yes it was plead down to a misdemeanor, but any felony arrest in your background is going to raise some major red flags. Two, you now have a misdemeanor conviction that involves you making false statements. If an agency does hire you, every defense attorney on one of your cases is going to have this disclosed to them. The argument will be made that you lied before, so who’s to say you’re not lying now. Most prosecutors won’t pick a case up if they know you have this in your background; my state actually maintains an indexed list of officers with similar issues to provide to prosecutors. Many states have it codified into their law that you can’t be POST certified with such a conviction. Three, your case was high profile enough to be pretty widely reported, so that anyone can easily find it.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this can be overcome for an LEO position. With education and several years in between, you may be able to land an LE support position that doesn’t require you to provide sworn testimony, which would depend on the agency. You may be able to resume your career in the military, or private security as was suggested earlier. But I don’t think you have a chance of ever getting your badge back.

Comment

Originally posted by Updown View Post

Based on what you’ve said, it sounds like this was you:
                  http://kpcnews.com/article_4f0f1ac1-...f0910fc94.html

In my opinion, you have three very big hurdles to overcome. One, you were charged with a felony. Yes it was plead down to a misdemeanor, but any felony arrest in your background is going to raise some major red flags. Two, you now have a misdemeanor conviction that involves you making false statements. If an agency does hire you, every defense attorney on one of your cases is going to have this disclosed to them. The argument will be made that you lied before, so who’s to say you’re not lying now. Most prosecutors won’t pick a case up if they know you have this in your background; my state actually maintains an indexed list of officers with similar issues to provide to prosecutors. Many states have it codified into their law that you can’t be POST certified with such a conviction. Three, your case was high profile enough to be pretty widely reported, so that anyone can easily find it.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this can be overcome for an LEO position. With education and several years in between, you may be able to land an LE support position that doesn’t require you to provide sworn testimony, which would depend on the agency. You may be able to resume your career in the military, or private security as was suggested earlier. But I don’t think you have a chance of ever getting your badge back.

Updown, thanks for your candid input. I like to see folks that take the time to really dig in and give an honest opinion. You only have to type in my name my charge and the year to find that link...not hard...and with that it is THE only thing you can find, trust me, I have researched myself also.

I want to kind of go backwards here and address your 3rd point first.

I would hope you agree that the media tends to blur the lines sometimes, of course with the help of those involved not properly informing. The only thing that article got correct was the charge, and the order of events...unfortunately what was alleged and quoted was a farce...this makes it a "he said, she said" thing which I don't want to go into. I owned up to my mistake, did my time, paid my dues. It was literally THE ONLY offense in my record other than a couple speeding tickets when I was younger. High profile enough? It wasn't even aired on the local news, it was just a simple news report via digital platform, which yes can still be very damaging, but in the last 5 years when I've inquired to people about it, it has mostly been forgotten.

For your other 2 points, I completely understand where you are coming from, and how that is perceived. As I stated in my original post though, I have the "authorization/go ahead/all clear" to apply and be considered into AST in 2021. So I'm hoping that with time passing, and my continued improvements that I might still have a chance.

Last note here, I saw Battlewagon's reply also, and thought that Border Patrol might be a good option also.

Either way, I appreciate your feedback and insight. I think I'm going to just continue to better myself until 2021 at which point I will apply everywhere I think I might stand a chance. If they all fall through due to background check then I will hang up the spurs.

If the forum is still around, and my post is still around, I will most definitely update everyone with what happens
                  Last edited by jason.kent1983; 01-30-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                    Border Patrol will likely take you. Though that is guessing since you haven't outlined what actually happened
                    Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into that aswell.

Comment

Sure. We are hiring at the moment. Stupid good stepping stone if you don't actually like the job. If you have a degree and BP experience you are a pretty sure bet for DEA, USMS, ICE DO ICE HSI, FAMS, etc. I've had many classmates leave for all those agencies

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                        Sure. We are hiring at the moment. Stupid good stepping stone if you don't actually like the job. If you have a degree and BP experience you are a pretty sure bet for DEA, USMS, ICE DO ICE HSI, FAMS, etc. I've had many classmates leave for all those agencies
                        Right now may not be my best option, 4 years out of the military so I need to work on my physical fitness a bit more first. I'd like to find something and just stick with it, but if I even remotely have a chance after time as BP I'd like to go to AST, that is my dream LEO job for sure.

Comment

Right now may not be my best option, 4 years out of the military so I need to work on my physical fitness a bit more first. I'd like to find something and just stick with it, but if I even remotely have a chance after time as BP I'd like to go to AST, that is my dream LEO job for sure.
                          Trust me you can get squared away during the hiring time. Takes about a year to get hired. If AST your dream then you should focus on that and get in ASAP. You would be foolish in my opinion to spend 4-5 years with the feds, a quarter of the way to retirement, and then just bail out and go local/state

honor first

Comment

Sorry, you'll never be hired by a federal agency. You're way too Giglio-impaired. Agencies have enough such idiots that they can't easily get rid of sitting around riding a desk that they won't hire another one on.
                            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by astolfo83 View Post
                              Sorry, you'll never be hired by a federal agency. You're way too Giglio-impaired. Agencies have enough such idiots that they can't easily get rid of sitting around riding a desk that they won't hire another one on.
                              Good luck.
                              Even after a 10 year period of time showing that it was just a mistake made. I mean people do change.

Comment

"Mistake"? You're really going with that? You did it ON PURPOSE. There was nothing mistaken about it.

Your kind are the ones who make headlines down the road. I stand by my posts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8413 users online. 380 members and 8033 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X